Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Knockout. This record is relentlessly kicking my ass. It’s a futuristic big band romp in modal/spiritual territories with a swing *SO* mighty, you’d best be sitting down when listening, lest you be knocked flat by its gargantuan wallop. “The Call” takes flight immediately, launching skywards with gusto. It’s an intergalactic big band epic that—at times—reminds me of Hoyt Curtin’s theme music from The Jetsons. On acid. Powered by urgent drums and backed by brass amassed in a sonic wall of power, pianist Linda Hill solos elegantly, gracefully, playfully and awesomely. This segues into a serpentine, intertwining alto clarinet/bass led section with tricky interplay, but the pocket never collapses—the groove here is unshakeable. Moving on to “Quagmire Manor at Five A.M.”, a lovely, soothing, albeit brief vocal/piano groove lulls you into a false sense of complacency as your moment of zen quickly gives way to a frantic, double time rhythm section workout while Hill’s piano tears it up, leading into a passionate tenor solo that’s teeters on the edge of “out” but never falls off, another massed horn section, brief bass solo, then back to the vocal head. Phew! Fortunately you get a moment to catch your breath and refill the coffee because it’s time to flip the record! Side B opens with “Nakatini Suite”. If you think you’re familiar with it from Lee Morgan’s “Leeway” album, or perhaps from Coltrane’s “The Believer”, take your familiarity, crumple it up and give it to the cat to play with. Tapscott’s Pan African People’s Arkestra take the first few bars to construct it as a demented waltz for people with two left feet, and then take the next nine minutes to explore its melodic potential. Gorgeous. The album closes with “Peyote Song No. III”, a large scale modal exploration a la mid 60s Impulse-era Coltrane. Deep, introspective, searching and beautiful playing abounds. So yeah...I’m completely smitten by this record. Originals from 1978 on Nimbus West are difficult to find but the recent Outernational Sounds reissue is widely available, inexpensive and sounds good. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
    Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of Sony Music

^^
    I'm playing it right now and for the 1st time: I really share your enthusiasm Grimjack!!.

G R E A T !!.
    Thanks for the H.U.!!.

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Spanish fan calls police over saxophone band who were just not jazzy enough

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ochs-saxophone

"Bendícelo Señor!".
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    New Yazz Ahmed album Polyhymnia due out in October.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Been digging and enjoying:

- Mananita Pampera by Hugo Heredia.

"Uplifting modal jazz from the great Latin fusion album Mananita Pampera - recorded in Germany, released on French label Côte D'Azur (1976). The album features Hugo Heredia (Sax, Flute, Perc), Horace Parlan (piano), Peter Frei (bass), Peter Schmidlin (drums), Ivanir Mandrake Do Nascimento (Perc)."

More:
    https://hugoheredia.bandcamp.com/album/mananita-pampera

"If ever a record called be called a lost masterpiece then this record more than deserves that epithet."

- The Oracle by Angel Bat Dawid.

"The debut from the Chicago-based composer and clarinetist serves as a vibrant, spiritual, free-jazz document of black life as it stands today." - Pitchfork.

More:
    https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/the-oracle

Double LP:
    https://www.strandedrecords.com/coll...-the-oracle-lp

- Mèdaho by Kaleta & Super Yamba Band.

More:
    https://kaletaandsuperyambaband.band...m/album/m-daho -- love the cover art.

"Mèdaho" is the debut album from Brooklyn based afro-funksters Kaleta & Super Yamba Band. Fronted by Afrobeat and Juju veteran Leon Ligan-Majek a.k.a. Kaleta—a native of Benin Republic—Mèdaho draws on the group’s shared reverence for the raw, psychedelic afro-funk sound that captivated Kaleta as a music loving kid in 1970s Benin."

Best,
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 2 Days Ago at 12:01 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

three great suggestions, but maybe the ugliest artwork ever for that Heredia album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Been digging and enjoying:

- Mananita Pampera by Hugo Heredia.

"Uplifting modal jazz from the great Latin fusion album Mananita Pampera - recorded in Germany, released on French label Côte D'Azur (1976). The album features Hugo Heredia (Sax, Flute, Perc), Horace Parlan (piano), Peter Frei (bass), Peter Schmidlin (drums), Ivanir Mandrake Do Nascimento (Perc)."

More:
    https://hugoheredia.bandcamp.com/album/mananita-pampera

"If ever a record called be called a lost masterpiece then this record more than deserves that epithet.".
    Great music.Thanks for sharing it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide