Thread: JAZZ Discussion

  1. #2526
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Jan Johansson was a true genius. One of my favorite albums.
    He made others with folksongs - the one with Russian folksongs is also good.

    Btw: His two sons keyboardist Jens & drummer Anders released in 1996 Heavy Machinery with Allan Holdsworth.
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll have to check out more of Jan's music soon--starting with the album based on Russian folk songs that you mentioned. Appreciate the info about Jens and Anders being Jan's son too. I've actually got at least a few albums with one or both of them, including Heavy Machinery, BTW. Cheers!

  2. #2527
    Member Jay.Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Clean Feed is truly an astonishing label. In this day and age, to crank out releases like they do (and with a pretty good success rate for my ears) is a godsend. That said...there is so much CF stuff, I'll never get to it all and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.
    Agreed. Some accuse them of the lack of publishing policy/control and releasing whatever they happen to like. I don't mind because their tastes are quite similar to mine and they put out a lot of live improvised material that comes from relatively unknown musicians and cannot be easily pigeonholed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Of your list, I quite enjoy Angels (all of their releases, but especially Injuries), Spiral Mercury, Velkro, and the Bali Tapes. I tend to go for the more energetic stuff, so just off the top of my head:

    Peter Van Huffel - Iron Lung
    Hairybones - Snakelust
    Guillotine - S/t
    FCT TRIO - From Sun Ra...
    Zach Clark - Mesophase
    Kris Davis - Save Your Breath
    Humcrush - Enter Humcrush
    Dystil - S/t
    C Lillinger - First/Second Reason
    Dre Hocevar - Coding Of Evidentiality
    Lisbon Berlin Trio - The Line
    McPhee/et al - Ticonderoga
    Chris Pitsiokos - Before The Heat Death
    Wire Quartet - S/t
    These Arches - Hammered
    That's funny, because I cannot remember any of these titles (and I always listen to their releases before picking CDs), except for Humcrush whom I know from their Rune Grammofon releases and Joe McPhee who is very well represented on other labels. I'll check them all out. Thanks!

  3. #2528
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Agreed. Some accuse them of the lack of publishing policy/control and releasing whatever they happen to like. I don't mind because their tastes are quite similar to mine and they put out a lot of live improvised material that comes from relatively unknown musicians and cannot be easily pigeonholed.



    That's funny, because I cannot remember any of these titles (and I always listen to their releases before picking CDs), except for Humcrush whom I know from their Rune Grammofon releases and Joe McPhee who is very well represented on other labels. I'll check them all out. Thanks!
    Clearly what they are doing is working, so they should certainly keep at it. Not saying they are, but I don't see any reasons why just releasing stuff you like. But yeah...getting these releases good international distribution is wonderful for those who like this kind of music. I can only assume without CF like 80% or more would be on much more obscure labels that would require special orders (for me in the US).

    And haha, I had the same basic reaction to your list. Aside from the four I name checked, I only recognized Live In Lisbon (which I prefer the other ONJO releases), Moresbow/Ozzo (which I should like but has never done it for me), and Zenussi 5 (although I have only heard the (or maybe a) Zenussi 13 album). Listened to the Lama album last night...I''m definitely intrigued and will check out their other releases.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  4. #2529
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    It's supposedly the first one in the whole series that would deliver Sam River's archival live sets. I am looking forward to it!
    Nice!.
    Tankx Walt & Jay Dee!.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  5. #2530
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    ^^
    "Avant-Garde Legend Anthony Braxton on His ‘Trans-Idiomatic’ Improv Odyssey".

    Thanks for this mogrooves !!.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  6. #2531
    Member Jay.Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    And haha, I had the same basic reaction to your list. Aside from the four I name checked, I only recognized Live In Lisbon (which I prefer the other ONJO releases)
    My favourite one is ONJQ Live on DIW, which was recorded two years earlier and covers similar territory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Moersbow/Ozzo (which I should like but has never done it for me)
    I love the whole idea of taking Merzbow's noise source and re-arranging it for a big band. And it works IMO.

    Do you know/like Zeitkratzer ensemble?

    https://zeitkratzer.bandcamp.com/

  7. #2532
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,252
    Research reveals: Nobody really likes jazz


    https://translate.google.com/transla...Ehttp%3A%2F%2F

  8. #2533
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Research reveals: Nobody really likes jazz


    https://translate.google.com/transla...Ehttp%3A%2F%2F
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  9. #2534
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    My favourite one is ONJQ Live on DIW, which was recorded two years earlier and covers similar territory.



    I love the whole idea of taking Merzbow's noise source and re-arranging it for a big band. And it works IMO.

    Do you know/like Zeitkratzer ensemble?

    https://zeitkratzer.bandcamp.com/
    I do like Live, but my favorites are the Series/Parallel Circuits albums (I believe on doubtmusic).

    And I agree with you that it's a good idea...and I am a Merzbow fan and like weird big band stuff so I want to like it...I just don't. That said, I haven't heard a Scott Fields release I do like (which haven't been many...probably just the ones released on CF). But I'm sure I'll keep trying. Maybe one day.

    I'm somewhat familiar with Zeitkratzer, but just their albums with Keiji Hanio, of which my favorite is the Electronics release. Thanks for the link...I'll explore them more.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  10. #2535
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Do you know/like Zeitkratzer ensemble?

    https://zeitkratzer.bandcamp.com/
    Their acoustic big band versions of Kraftwerk's first two LPs, and Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" are... ummm... interesting.

  11. #2536
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Hello Gang!.

    Of interest:

    Mary Halvorson on Her Expanding Jazz Sound. - article -
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/11/1..._source=footer


    Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:08 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  12. #2537
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Research reveals: Nobody really likes jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    … but me like it … !!
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  13. #2538
    I played a jazz gig the other day. I didn't even like it.

  14. #2539
    Member wideopenears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    424
    Saw Endangered Blood last night. One of Chris Speed/Jim Black's projects. They were great!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

  15. #2540
    Member Jay.Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I do like Live, but my favorites are the Series/Parallel Circuits albums (I believe on doubtmusic).
    Both volumes are still on my wishlist. I saw this lineup live in the mid-00s and got smashed by Otomo's guitar playing, but I remember getting distracted by the singer. It's high time to finally fetch these two titles!

  16. #2541
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Research reveals: Nobody really likes jazz
    https://news.jazzline.com/news/jazz-...r-music-genre/

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I played a jazz gig the other day. I didn't even like it.
    Let me guess: you were backing a singer.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  17. #2542
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    A most welcome archival release.Sam Rivers Trio, live, 1971.

    http://nobusinessrecords.com/emanation-sam-rivers.html
    Digging it:
    (g r e a t !)

    https://nobusinessrecords.bandcamp.com/album/emanation



    1. Emanation. Part I 31:09
    2. Emanation. Part II 45:32

    Sam Rivers - tenor and soprano saxophones, flute, piano
    Cecil McBee - bass
    Norman Connors - drums
    Last edited by TCC; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:34 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  18. #2543
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I played a jazz gig the other day. I didn't even like it.
    Rick:
    . 100% committed to art …

    Cheers!.

    ______________________________

    Article:
    - Jazz: love it or hate it?. -
    "No other musical genre divides people so greatly – but why?
    For International Jazz Day, BBC Culture asked a fan and a hater to lay out the cases for and against."

    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...-it-or-hate-it

    - Random sentences:
    "So why is jazz uplifting? Because the music itself – at its best – is defiant, rich and ceaselessly inventive."
    "So you don't like jazz. What's the big deal?”.
    “I loved John Coltrane until I hated him – until I loved him again.”



    Regards,
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:47 PM.

  19. #2544
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Both volumes are still on my wishlist. I saw this lineup live in the mid-00s and got smashed by Otomo's guitar playing, but I remember getting distracted by the singer. It's high time to finally fetch these two titles!
    Totally jealous. Otomo is high on my list of artists I want to see live. (I'll say in any circumstance, but I would definitely prefer him focusing on guitar and a semi-largish group)
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  20. #2545
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,210
    New to me,and pretty damn great.

    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  21. #2546
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,210
    New release by the always hip Steve Lehman.Hopefully, Pi will also release this on cd.

    https://stevelehman.bandcamp.com/alb...-people-i-love
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  22. #2547
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    New to me,and pretty damn great.

    Stunning! Sullivan could surprise you. He could go from some truly tacky schmaltz to something ground-breaking in just one segment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  23. #2548
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    New to me,and pretty damn great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Stunning! Sullivan could surprise you. He could go from some truly tacky schmaltz to something ground-breaking in just one segment.
    I just saw this for the first time a few weeks ago in a documentary about Kirk's life. What an absolute genius he was.

  24. #2549
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,227
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I just saw this for the first time a few weeks ago in a documentary about Kirk's life. What an absolute genius he was.

    Rashaan's concert in Brussels was the first I ever saw.... My dad was on the organizing committee, and we sometimes had jazzos sleeping overnight at the house (Memphis Slim was one of them, but some of them also came with the junk they were shooting up)


    I was 5 or 6 (roughly 68/69)and had never seen a black man so I pinched the bassist's hand to see why it was dirty (as I thought) and didn't wash up... After he yelked out, my dad came to see what the problem was and he asked me what was wrong, so I explained it to him.... My dad was embarrassed but went ahead and explained it to the bassist... The black dude picked me up laughing and put me on a stool and played me a bass solo just for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  25. #2550
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Rashaan's concert in Brussels was the first I ever saw.... My dad was on the organizing committee, and we sometimes had jazzos sleeping overnight at the house (Memphis Slim was one of them, but some of them also came with the junk they were shooting up)


    I was 5 or 6 (roughly 68/69)and had never seen a black man so I pinched the bassist's hand to see why it was dirty (as I thought) and didn't wash up... After he yelked out, my dad came to see what the problem was and he asked me what was wrong, so I explained it to him.... My dad was embarrassed but went ahead and explained it to the bassist... The black dude picked me up laughing and put me on a stool and played me a bass solo just for me.
    Thanks for sharing that “one of a kind” childhood’s experience Trane!.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •