Page 100 of 147 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

The future of Jazz looks bright today

In case you wonder; her name is Jala Heywood and she just turned 11.

Any fans of Melanie de Biasio on this board? I haven't seen her mentioned just yet.

She is a Belgium Jazz singer and multi-instrumentalist often advertised as 'the Belgium Billy Holiday". I just discovered her music and I have only heared her two latest releases but I am pretty impressed by them.

The last one "lilies" is a pretty sparsely arranged collection of songs. Dark and brooding atmosphere somewhere between Jazz, Soul and (art) pop. And her voice; I just cannot get enough of it.

here are a song from it:

Here previous release "blackened cities" is completely different. Its an EP that contains just one 25-minute track with a full band. It often reminds me a bit of a more jazzy latter Talk Talk!

Her music is on bandcamp and I think most streaming services.

Seen MdB a few times in recent years... Never went to a concert specifically for her, but she was on the bill.

She's had considerable cultural press coverage compared to other experimental Belgian projects, probably because she sings (and therefore is not uniquely instrumental)

She's probably hovering in the top 15 jazz issue of the year her album was released in.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Any fans of Melanie de Biasio on this board? I haven't seen her mentioned just yet.

She is a Belgium Jazz singer and multi-instrumentalist often advertised as 'the Belgium Billy Holiday". I just discovered her music and I have only heared her two latest releases but I am pretty impressed by them.

The last one "lilies" is a pretty sparsely arranged collection of songs. Dark and brooding atmosphere somewhere between Jazz, Soul and (art) pop. And her voice; I just cannot get enough of it.

here are a song from it:

Here previous release "blackened cities" is completely different. Its an EP that contains just one 25-minute track with a full band. It often reminds me a bit of a more jazzy latter Talk Talk!

Her music is on bandcamp and I think most streaming services.
    Sounds intriguing! Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    S
    She's had considerable cultural press coverage compared to other experimental Belgian projects, probably because she sings (and therefore is not uniquely instrumental)
    yeah, a female vocalist is considerably easier to market then some nerdy guys improvising on their instruments.

np:

The Claudia Quintet - For.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    np:

The Claudia Quintet - For.
    Plus:

Mike Osborne - Dawn.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Hello Gang!.
    Today I've been listening to Ocean Fanfare's:

- "Imagine Sound Imagine Silence" (2014):
    It's a favotite here with Tyshawn Sorey on drums and their newest:

- "First Nature": (Love it too!)

OF.jpg

Ocean Fanfare has started the recordings of Third Nature, an album trilogi. First Nature is the first chapter. Charged with the acoustic sound of the freejazz quartet, it pays tribute to biodiversity. The wild growing interplay balances the lyrical and the melancholic.-

- With Peter Bruun on drums. -

"Owing a big thanks to Anna Tsing’s book ‘The Mushroom at the end of the world’ the albums is entitled:"
    .First Nature - Ecological relations (April 4, 2019)
    .Second Nature - Capitalist transformation (2020)
    .Third Nature - Temporal polyphony (2021)

https://www.oceanfanfare.com/

More: https://barefootrecords.bandcamp.com/album/first-nature

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 05-19-2019 at 02:17 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

New Chester Thompson CD arrived today, playing together with Alphonso Johnson for the first time since Weather Report's Black Market album. Sounds really good! I got it through CD Baby.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any knowledge/opinions on Sunset Mission by Bohren & Der Club of Gore (who the hell came up with that name)?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice album, I do like their stuff, very slow developing doomjazz, I think I prefer the follow up Black Earth. The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble are also worth checking out if you like that stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In my favourite old pub in town last night, a wonderful jazz track came on, which had influences of Pharaoh & Alice, with a beautiful searching soprano sax lead over an Indian style drone that also recalled some of Coltrane's remarkable tunes on soprano from the early 60s.

I asked Adam, the landlord, what the track was, & he told me this story: When his mum was in hospital, about to give birth to Adam, there was a woman in the bed next to her. It transpired that she was Ian Carr's wife. So, after Adam was born, his parents bought the one jazz record that they ever owned - Dusk Fire, by the Don Rendell & Ian Carr Quintet. Adam then said, although he now has thousands of jazz records, this is the one that has a special place in his memory, & that it remains, in his estimation, the best release by the Quintet.

I knew nothing of Carr's work prior to his more fusion-oriented work in the late-60s/early 70s. Listening to this record, alongside Shades of Blue & Live has been a revelation, & further evidence of just how distinctive the voice of British jazz had become in the mid-60s. Here's the wonderful title track from the lp:

In a postscript - I had the extraordinary opportunity to see Don Rendell, playing in a sextet led by Stan Tracey & also featuring the great Bobby Wellins, around 15 years ago at a wee seaside jazzy festival, 10 miles or so down the coast from where I live. It remains one of the musical highlights of my life.

I absolutely adore Dusk Fire (the album too), but it's from a distance their better album, IMHO
    Nothing else in their other four albums (including the live one) resembles the modal jazz developped in DF...

About a decade ago, I went bonkers on 60/70's Swinging London's jazz scene
    I love everything that Graham Collier did from 67 until 75 with Darius as a desert island album.
    Neil Ardley produced some fantastic stuff in those same years, though sometimes he went overboard with his third stream stuff..
    Mike Westbrook was more uneven, but there are moments of sheer brilliance in Citabel & Metropolis. And of course The Cortege, but that's 80's stuff
    As for Michael Garrick, his trilogy with his sextet (from Lotus until Troppo) is stupendous IMHO

there is plenty more too
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

np:
    Bill Evans - Symbiosis. ****

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

np:

Scopes by Scopes (2019)

. Personnel:
    Ben van Gelder - alto saxophone
    Tony Tixier - piano, Yamaha Reface CS
    Tom Berkmann - double bass
    Mathias Ruppnig - drums

“The contemporary sound is strong in this sparkling, eponymous debut from new European quartet Scopes.”

“Their roots in jazz tradition are evident, yet Scopes’ quest for a “sense for the pulse time” has shaped a young, sleek sound world incorporating wider influences – a melting pot of original, melodic composition and improvisation infused with textural synthscapes and liquescent sax. It’s a confidently joyous partnership.”

Trailer:

More:
    https://scopesmusic.bandcamp.com/

Recommended!.

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The future of Jazz looks bright today

In case you wonder; her name is Jala Heywood and she just turned 11.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I don't know what the hell this is - got some jazz in it, though the kitchen sink is full to the rim on this.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band, saw them at Big Ears this year, tore it up, sax player is a monster.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A Boiler Room session from The Comet is Coming, from a couple of years ago. The tenor sax player is Shabaka Hutchings, who also leads Sons of Kemet.

it depends on what night or tour they're on, but in general the electro-techno thing is much more present on stage than it is on their second album

(TBH, I 'tried' their first album a couple of times, and I didn't bring it home, unlike the new one)

Hello Gang!.

Of interest and something special:

- Azymuth - Demos (1973​-​75) Volumes 1&2.-

"For true beholders of languid jazz-funk, Demos (1973​-​75) Volumes 1&2 is crucial."

More:
    https://azymuth.bandcamp.com/album/d...75-volumes-1-2

"Carne de venado my Friends!"
    Last edited by TCC; 06-03-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    it depends on what night or tour they're on, but in general the electro-techno thing is much more present on stage than it is on their second album

(TBH, I 'tried' their first album a couple of times, and I didn't bring it home, unlike the new one)
    Yeah...just listened to their second album...way lower energy and frankly not terribly captivating over the course of the album, IMHO. It's almost as if it's a different band compared to their first and the smattering of EPs they've released thus far.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.