Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Featured album: Frogg Café - Creatures

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I had gotten this and FoOT iirc in preparation for the Nearfest gig. I was so impressed with the band live I joined the Lilly Pad and have many of their shows on disc. Was thrilled to see the band again at NJ Proghouse Reunion.
    Am also glad to be able say I saw HoG at MarProg in New Haven)

One of the better post-millennial US bands ( I find most American prog-or-thereabouts bands too be a little too mannered, academic, or virtuoso indulgent). That said, Creatures is a bit uneven while FOOT is top tier stuff.

I almost saw these dudes at O'Brien's in Allston, MA. Didn't go because maybe there was a blizzard (Frank, any memories of this?)? Had to be a good reason, because I can walk to that club in a bout 20 minutes from my place. Ended up sharing the stage with them when Eccentric Orbit and Frogg Cafe played a little one day prog fest here a few years ago. Nogbad, Gravedigger, Lopez and some other PE nerds were there! Fun show.

I haven't heard all their stuff, but the Bateless Edge material is probably my favorite of what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I almost saw these dudes at O'Brien's in Allston, MA.
    Hey, I think I was there... Both of my Frogg shows now potentially identified (see posts 24-25). I was teaching at BU for a semester in fall 2003. So that is probably when it would have been. I can't remember the name of the bar but Allston sounds right. There were four bands playing that night, mostly geared toward a younger crowd. I remember the "Giant Panda Dub Squad" or something like that; they were actually pretty good. Sadly none of the "kids" paid any attention to the Froggs. And IIRC there was a lot of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Hey, I think I was there... Both of my Frogg shows now potentially identified (see posts 24-25). I was teaching at BU for a semester in fall 2003. So that is probably when it would have been. I can't remember the name of the bar but Allston sounds right. There were four bands playing that night, mostly geared toward a younger crowd. I remember the "Giant Panda Dub Squad" or something like that; they were actually pretty good. Sadly none of the "kids" paid any attention to the Froggs. And IIRC there was a lot of snow.
    The gig Rick was referring to was where Eccentric Orbit played was January 17, 2015 at the Regent Theater in Arlington. Here's a shot of us on stage that night...

EO Rocks!.jpg

Not sure where the Froggers played in Allston in 2003. For whatever reason, I think we missed that show.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The gig Rick was referring to was where Eccentric Orbit played was January 17, 2015 at the Regent Theater in Arlington. Here's a shot of us on stage that night...

EO Rocks!.jpg

Not sure where the Froggers played in Allston in 2003. For whatever reason, I think we missed that show.

Bill
    Yeah that Regent Theater gig in Arlington was great, two fun bands and a bunch of us there. Bateless Edge is my favorite by FC.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I almost saw these dudes at O'Brien's in Allston, MA. Didn't go because maybe there was a blizzard (Frank, any memories of this?)? Had to be a good reason, because I can walk to that club in a bout 20 minutes from my place. Ended up sharing the stage with them when Eccentric Orbit and Frogg Cafe played a little one day prog fest here a few years ago. Nogbad, Gravedigger, Lopez and some other PE nerds were there! Fun show.

I haven't heard all their stuff, but the Bateless Edge material is probably my favorite of what I've heard.
    I was there with my wife and a friend of ours. I think this is the one where we froze our butts off (or at least our feet) as cold air poured in from an open door and down along the floor and of course we were right up front near the stage at the lowest point of the building. I think this FC show is the one where the band stopped and Bill A. passed a whiskey flask down to us. We all took a swig and passed it back up to the stage. Obviously pre-COVID, lol. Loved Eccentric Orbit too and soon after acquired their albums.

I guess I need to give Creatures another chance. I like a song here and there, but have preferred the more recent stuff. Always a blast hanging out with the band though. Great group of guys that we've followed to various venues between New Jersey, Boston, Montreal and Quebec City.
    <sig out of order>

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Interesting to see Fortunate Observer Of Time so loved here. Outside of You're Still Sleeping and Abyss Of Dissention I find that album to be fairly average and unspectacular, especially compared to the rest of the Frogg's discog.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey Frank, where the hell can we listen to Frogg Cafe albums? I have most if not all of the CDs somewhere in my house, but I'm not sure where. They aren't on Spotify or Bandcamp, are they? Doesn't look like it. Are they streaming anywhere? I suddenly need to listen to them, but can't! Don't make me have to find those CDs...

Great question....they all used to be on streaming services but now it looks like they are all gone. I guess CDs or you can imagine and just hum the tunes in your head.

C'mon over, I know right where mine are.

frogg cafe cds.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great question....they all used to be on streaming services but now it looks like they are all gone. I guess CDs or you can imagine and just hum the tunes in your head.
    LOL. We could keep a Skype session open, and YOU can hum them for me!

Seriously, in this difficult time, I'd think the band would want to keep them on sale for the income. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    C'mon over, I know right where mine are.

frogg cafe cds.jpg
    I'm outside now. Let me in!

Will check it out today, since it arrived in the mail Saturday.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 01-18-2021 at 01:30 PM.

I don't know if it is a shame to admit it or not, but it is my introduction to Frogg Cafe and I am blown away. It is scary to think about what I have been missing on for all those years but on the other hand, better late than never. Thanks for introducing me to Froggs, I am enjoying my music session a lot more now!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Seriously, in this difficult time, I'd think the band would want to keep them on sale for the income. Right?
    My son got more money from his Aunt (he never sees) this past xmas than any money I've seen from this band in the past 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
    I don't know if it is a shame to admit it or not, but it is my introduction to Frogg Cafe and I am blown away. It is scary to think about what I have been missing on for all those years but on the other hand, better late than never. Thanks for introducing me to Froggs, I am enjoying my music session a lot more now!
    Cool thanks. Hope you enjoy.

Found a couple of my FC CDs today, so now playing: The Bateless Edge. Such a good album!

I also found Noodles, which is unwrapped - I've never heard it! How is that one? It's a live show?

Noodles was us noodling (improvisation) in Bill's old basement studio (it's not a live show). We were probably not sober - that's a guarantee.

My son got more money from his Aunt (he never sees) this past xmas than any money I've seen from this band in the past 20 years or so.
    That is funny!

Same here! My rich old Aunt Dot sent my son huge checks every Xmas until she passed a few years ago, and they never met!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We were probably not sober - that's a guarantee.