Thread: Guy Pratt Interview- On Pink Floyd, Toy Matinee and more!

Guy Pratt Interview- On Pink Floyd, Toy Matinee and more!

I just wrapped up a great chat with bassist Guy Pratt. You might remember him from 80s/90s Pink Floyd. Or maybe the first Toy Matinee album. Or......

For Episode #47 we catch up with Guy Pratt, bassist for Pink Floyd since the mid 80s and all of David Gilmour's post-Floyd solo albums and tours. He also played on the amazing debut album from Toy Matinee. He's done stints with Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry too. We talk his current activities- a podcast with a who's who of rock and more, and his Lockdown Licks series on YouTube. Then, we talk about his early musical inspirations and loves, early gear and early bands. A look at his bass collection over the years is next- gear talk. Around 55 minutes in we turn to talk of Floyd and the tours and album he was part of. Also, we discuss his time playing with Jimmy Page and David Coverdale, and his current gig with Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, playing the great tunes from the pre-Dark Side Floyd catalog. We talk Toy Matinee at the end too.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-11-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Looking forward to this. I'm a fan of Guy's YT series, even if he can get a bit... "prickly" at time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thanks for this, got about half way through last night, Guy does love to talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for this, got about half way through last night, Guy does love to talk!
    Yeah, he's quite the chatterbox. I think he was taken aback at first by Sean's laid back southern manners.

But that was great. You get the sense you could spend days listening to all the stories he's got.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He reminds me of Wakeman in that regard. His humorous slant too.

Another good one, Sean. Time flew by indeed. Great atmosphere as always, quiet and uplifting at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, he's quite the chatterbox.
    His autobiography is very entertaining, too. http://www.guypratt.com/my-bass-and-other-animals/
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    His autobiography is very entertaining, too. http://www.guypratt.com/my-bass-and-other-animals/
    Guy Pratt is among the elite alumni on stage musicians who have been associated with Pink Floyd in very outstanding ways.
    The other Star players who have worked with either Roger Waters David Gilmour and Nick Mason would be Jon Carin, Tim Renwick and of course, Snowy White.

They are a huge part of having been the essential backbone and contributed to the survival of the post-classic Pink Floyd era.

I had never heard of Toy Matinee either..

Watched it. Very interesting. Guy didn't let Sean get a word in edgewise but it was very interesting. Lol.

Sort of like Wakeman, you just sit back and let them do their thing.

Whatever you're doing, Sean, keep doing it. These interviews are really enjoyable.