Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson

FEATURED CD: Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson

Maybe gets a little lost after having to follow up the likes of Bitches Brew, but still a goodie...

Review from Sputnik Music
    Listen to A Tribute to Jack Johnson and hear, like, six people tear shit up, sometimes at the same time. “Right Off” was supposedly an accident (a jam started by guitarist John McLaughlin, bassist Michael Henderson, and drummer Billy Cobham that Miles Davis suddenly rushed in the studio to play on), but what a gorgeous accident; Herbie fucking Hancock was just “in the building” and sort of walked in and sat down and just destroyed it with the nastiest organ sound known to man. Oops.

Okay, so yeah, this review--after only two sentences--has surely been the most hyperbolic and informal I’ve yet committed to paper (or computer, or whatever), but isn’t “Right Off” the most hyperbolic and informal music can get? For twenty-six minutes, Miles and co. run through the most complex, rugged solos of their career, all while creating a musical background that presents itself as both entrancing and surprisingly raucous.

“Yesternow,” for the most part, is considerably quieter and more interested in the spaces between notes (as much of Kind of Blue was)--especially evident not only in its spare beginning section but also in its sample of 1969’s In a Silent Way, an album that could be considered “ambient jazz,” a little more than halfway through. In its own way, though, “Yesternow” is just as blissfully ridiculous as the preceding track, with the band doing as much as it can with, say, a James Brown bassline, or a funk guitar riff. On A Tribute to Jack Johnson, we see this happen over and over again: the band takes small amounts of something, and turns them into overwhelmingly large amounts of everything. And, of course, when the band wreck it like they do here, this vast “everything” sounds pretty fucking awesome.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'll always remember how totally blown away i was the first time my friend put Jack Johnson on his turntable(circa 1975) and the first blasts of "Right Off" came out of the speakers.I've played it perhaps hundreds of times over the years since that first listen, and it's still a bad ass tune.

I was new to jazz,jazz rock and other stuff at that time and Jack Johnson was one of the many records that opened doors to what music could be(for me).

Essential Miles Davis.
    Last edited by walt; 03-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

My all-time favorite Miles record. This rocks!

What do you think of the big box set, which deconstructs everything that that Teo had put together, into one big collage?

Grossman!!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Amazing album. Gonna have to fire it up right now.

If it's pre-'80s Miles, then it's great! Yeah, love this album so much!!!

In my top 5 Miles album

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    What do you think of the big box set, which deconstructs everything that that Teo had put together, into one big collage?
    Well to be honest, these boxsets (not just the JJ one) are kind of detrimental to the albums in a way... It shows that it was indeed a lot of collage... which in a instrumental way is disappointing (since the players didn't totally write the music).... but in a production point of view, they're fantastic... in some ways the producers (Teo) should almost get songwriting credits...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Haven't listened to this one in several years. But speaking of great intros... this tickles the hair follicles!

I break with the consensus opinion on this this one - I find it far too ordinary compared to his other '70s output. To my ears, this is just an average rock jam. Well, at least the first half is; I honestly can't even remember the second side any more, but obviously that means it didn't engage me either. This has none of the adventurousness or excitement for me that so many of his other albums do. And the insertion of that excerpt from In A Silent Way seemed particularly pointless IMO.

I don't like everything Miles released in the '70s, but I wouldn't use the terms "ordinary" or "average rock jam" even for the other ones which don't work for me. I've always been mystified by the way this album is held in such high regard, especially considering the heights that several of his other '70s albums reach.
    Last edited by no.nine; 03-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Average rock jam???

Blasphemy!

If you really like this record, the box set is a MUST.

Great album. I particularly liked Sonny Sharrock's slide guitar solo on side two.

Yes, the second half doesn't live up to the first and its opening passage meanders too long. Yes, that Silent Way excerpt is weird and has no reason for being there. Yes, that closing voiceover was a dumb idea that never should have been included. But dammit, I don't care. I love this album anyway. It rocks, it kicks, it stomps and it never fails to put me in a better mood.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    It's too much. They had the right idea, whittling down the best parts and condensing them all into one perfect-sized helping. 45 straight minutes of "Willie Nelson" takes, for example, is just... too much. (I mean, each track is all right on its own, and sometimes it's fun to shuffle them all for a while, but I don't go back and listen over this material nearly as much as the other Miles boxes that are based more on 'finished' tracks.)

IMHO, I think the In A Silent Way box is the best of the boxsets.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The closest MD got to rock IMHO.

One of my favorites by him. One of the most consistent albums to my ears as well.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Great Miles album, one of his best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Yes, that closing voiceover was a dumb idea that never should have been included.
    No, I think the voiceover (done by actor Brock Peters, btw) is actually befitting given the times the album was made, and the subject matter. The music was recorded as the score for a documentary about boxer Jack Johnson, who defied the bigotry of the Jim Crow era to become the first African American heavyweight champion. He the life of the celebrity and was known to prefer the company of white women (he even married three of 'em). In short he gave the middle finger to those who believed he wasn't "good enough".

So, you skip ahead to 1970, and at the height of the "Black Power" era, when given the chance, it made perfect sense to stick that little declaration at the end of the album. I think Miles probably admired Johnson, and attempted to live in a similar fashion as he had, ie "Fuck you, Whitey! I don't give a fuck what you think of me, I'll kick your fucking ass, so sit down and shut the fuck up and let me live my life the way I choose, motherfucker!"

(and don't tell me that's not exactly how Miles would have phrased the matter himself)

Word GuitarGeek! Word!
    Miles was the shit.

I own,In A Silent Way,A Tribute To Jack Johnson,Live-eviL,Aghartha,Dark Magus. Imho,Dark Magus is the most intense music I have heard from him,that album smokes.....seriously smokes. To use a Yes analogy,if Jack Johnson was his Close To The Edge,Dark Magus would be his Relayer. I know you think I left out Bitches Brew and you'd be right......I really don't like that record.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, I think the voiceover (done by actor Brock Peters, btw) is actually befitting given the times the album was made, and the subject matter. ... it made perfect sense to stick that little declaration at the end of the album.
    Sure, it made perfect sense in the context of the time and the documentary the music was made for, but it also ties the album to that one particular thing. If they'd kept the specific Jack Johnson references to the liner notes (which were also a great pitch-perfect illustration of that fuck-you attitude you mentioned), the music could have stood completely on its own.

I think it also doesn't fit tonally. The music is about as energetic and sunny as Miles ever got, so it feels weird to end on such a dark chilling note all of a sudden. When I ripped it for my Ipod I edited the second track to fade out before it gets too dark, and to me it works so much better.

A little/big gem!.
    Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

GREAT GREAT GREAT Album.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Great album, and I like the box set, too.

But my favorite box set these days is the Cellar Door set.
    And I've been digging into the Bootleg Series one and two sets.....simply great, both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    IMHO, I think the In A Silent Way box is the best of the boxsets.
    Agreed. Three discs of pure creative process finished off with flair. Love it!
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

Love this album and the box set!