Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson

One of my favorites. Just loose and jammy...I like it!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Thanks for posting it..I have tons of MD albums but I never heard ths one (actually I never bought his album produced past 1970!)...not too jazzy though (in relative terms) I like it...

as far as MD I love his cooperation with Gil Evans period....

Correction...I actually have Man with the Horn from 1981...that is kind of OK...

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I'll always remember how totally blown away i was the first time my friend put Jack Johnson on his turntable(circa 1975) and the first blasts of "Right Off" came out of the speakers.I've played it perhaps hundreds of times over the years since that first listen, and it's still a bad ass tune.

I was new to jazz,jazz rock and other stuff at that time and Jack Johnson was one of the many records that opened doors to what music could be(for me).

Essential Miles Davis.
    My thoughts and general experience to the t.

Yes it's tremendous. Maybe not as well formed as In A Silent Way, as genre defining (in terms of fusion) as Bitches Brew or as innovative (or divisive) as On The Corner but a great record. Another one that I love is Get Up With It from 1974. Oh yeah, and Live Evil, that's top too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The box set requires shuffle mode, unless you like 6 consecutive versions of Willie Nelson and 5 consecutive Go Ahead Johns.

Not a big fan of this. I much prefer his records with Gil Evans Orchestra. Or some heavy fusion, like Star People.