Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundalike Songs?

Soundalike Songs?

I know we've talked about the Journey / Kansas connection here before. ("I'm Gonna Leave You" vs Wayward Son)
    And most here are already familiar w/ the well-known "lawsuit" cases of plagiarism.

But what other lesser-known pairings are out there? I knew a few, but am drawing a blank today.

A week ago today at work, we were discussing how Corey Hart's Sunglasses at Night sounds very much like Eurythmic's Sweet dreams.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Mechanical Bride and 21st Century Schizoid Man
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:27 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Sussudio by PC and 1999 by Prince, especially the opening but carrying on throughout the whole songs.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Sussudio by PC and 1999 by Prince, especially the opening but carrying on throughout the whole songs.
    Or Prince recycling "1999" as "Manic Monday" for the Bangles.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

Just came to me out of the blue, never noticed it before, but:

"He's So Fine" and (are you ready?).......

"One Fine Day" (both by the Chiffons).

The jeopardy theme was stolen from the opening of Gregg Allmans version of Midnight Rider on the Laid Back album. Sorry but I always thought that without substantial proof.

When I first started getting into Black Sabbath in the mid 90's, I remember getting, I think, Live/Evil, and hearing Neon Knights, and thinking "Wait, I know this song from someplace". Then I realized what it was: Triumph cribbed it for Too Much Thinking.

Sammy Hagar's Heavy Metal bears just a little bit of a resemblance to It's Late by Queen.

Of course Deep Purple lifted Child In Tiem from Bombay Calling by The Flock.

And I forget how many songs I've heard that have lifted that one motif from Bali Hai. Zep used it on The Immigrant Song, Lucifer's Friend used it in Ride The Sky, Abba used it in So Long, and I'm sure I heard a sort of avant jazz thing from the 60's that used it too.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:23 PM.

“Feel the Benefit” by 10cc always comes to mind when this subject comes up. It flat out steals the intro from the Beatles’ “Dear Prudence.” Spock’s Beard also mined “Dear Prudence” for “June” (the “Sun comes up on a windy day” is pretty obviously cribbed from the “Sun is up, the sky is blue” bit).

Hoelderlin’s “The Shouter” is a pretty clear imitation of Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill,” with the time signature changed from 7 to 5.

Flame Dream’s Supervision album is pretty shamelessly plagiaristic. They stole the main riff from “Thirty Years” from the first U.K. album, as well as the middle organ riff from “Nothing to Lose” and the entire keyboard solo from “The Only Thing She Needs” off of Danger Money (seriously, it sounds like they just spliced the original master tape into the middle of their recording of “Time for a Change”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Everyone is complacent. The only time they ever speak up is to shame you for not being as complacent as them." - Adam Robillard, YouTube

Speaking of ABBA:

It’s like “Waterloo” with the “SUCK” dial turned up all the way.

The opening solo guitar riff to "Knew It All Along" by Fu Manchu is almost identical to the opening of "Manowar" by Manowar, of course.
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

And I alwasy thought this song:

Sounded a lot like this song:

But maybe that's just that the arrangements are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That should be Bombay Calling from It's A Beautiful Day
    'There are no certain answers and no time to understand / The goal's a changing paradise, a moment out of date'

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think you mean by It's a Beautiful Day.

Talking about soundalike pop songs, there is a popular Finnish middle of the road pop singer called Kaija Koo, who from her second album on seemed to base all her songs on Mike Oldfield's 80s pop tunes and particularly "Moonlight Shadow". This was her breakthrough hit in 1993, and I'm still wondering why Oldfield's publishers didn't chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The jeopardy theme was stolen from the opening of Gregg Allmans version of Midnight Rider on the Laid Back album. Sorry but I always thought that without substantial proof.
    Sorry, that is incorrect. You forgot to phrase it in the form of a question.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Both Corey Hart and Rick Springfield were mentioned. I always thought these two tracks have a similar sound:

Springfield's Dance This World Away (from Tao)

Hart's Dancin'With My Mirror (from Fields Of Fire)

There’s also THIS weird little coincidence, at least I think it was a coincidence...

1972:

1974:

I always wheel these out when this topic comes up.

Guess who earned Millions with what Comes at ca. 8:05 in

First few seconds of this copied to make a whole song

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Guess who earned Millions with what Comes at ca. 8:05 in
    Put it in 4/4 and speed it up, and you get "I got a Nikon camera, I love to take photographs, oh mama don't take my Kodachrome away!"
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Put it in 4/4 and speed it up, and you get "I got a Nikon camera, I love to take photographs, oh mama don't take my Kodachrome away!"
    Actually Gary Moore with Still got the Blues (and he lost the lawsuit)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Actually Gary Moore with Still got the Blues (and he lost the lawsuit)
    I know that's what we are supposed to hear, but I was pointing out that the very basic descending sequence goes back before either JG or GM. Sort of like the "Taurus"/"Stairway to Heaven" idea.