Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soundalike Songs?

There was that one popular song by the band Jet, I don't even know the name of it. It sounded very much like Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves.........only without all the complicated I-IV-V chord changes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

There’s also the Synergy song that co-opts “Deutschland über alles”

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Last part of ?

The Dave Clark Five totally ripped of The Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout" with this poor attempt:

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    I always wheel these out when this topic comes up.

Wow, that's pretty blatant. I have one of the NYR&RE albums, which is really good. Although I haven't listened to it in many years.

Bonus observation, the guy who is second from the right looks like John Belushi
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Wow, that's pretty blatant. I have one of the NYR&RE albums, which is really good. Although I haven't listened to it in many years.

Miles did at least 2 stints in the hoosegow, one for stealing Nudie suits (or at least not paying his bill), and another for car theft, so...

re: Buddy Miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Miles did at least 2 stints in the hoosegow, one for stealing Nudie suits (or at least not paying his bill), and another for car theft, so...
    I rmeember bak in the 80's, at one point, he, Billy Cox and Hendrix impersonator Randy Hansen were performing together. I remember this being mentioned in Guitar World, with the note that, at least for now, the "tour" was confined to the state of California, as per Buddy's parole requirements.

I was gonna say that the guitarist in the Dave Clark Five looks like Al Jardine.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Last part of ?
    can you give the specific timing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    can you give the specific timing ?
    Its the repeted piano ostinato through most of the track, starts aprox 5:00

For the record, I dont think there is any connection between Tommy and Christian , allthough Christian might have heard the track in 1962.

0:26

5:25

Inspiration or coincidence?
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

The chorus of Queen's "Breakthru" and the chorus to Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer" are VERY similar.

Also, the final section of Spock's Beard's "Jaws of Heaven" bears a strong similarity to Mike and the Mechanics' "The Living Years."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

There are only 12 notes in the scale. Sooner or later, all the combinations are used up.

And then the victim becomes the perpetrator

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There are only 12 notes in the scale. Sooner or later, all the combinations are used up.
    But multiply those 12 notes by a range of whole to 64th notes, and/or whole to 64th rests. Assuming a particular musician can play in 64th note precision. Then those 12 notes can extent into millions or billions of possible combinations.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

That Transatlantic and Sagitarrian example is too similar to be a coincidence imo but who knows. I remember hearing some stuff on internet radio that were very similar to each other. Those examples were a South American prog song (I believe by a solo artist) that had parts that sounded very similar to the verse of "life's been good" by Joe Walsh. I don't rememeber the artist but it came out before the Joe Walsh song. The other one was another South American song but this time the song was very similar to an early Rush song ("In The End" I think). The SA prog band was a rather well known one but I can't off the top of my head remember which band or what track it was. Both songs pre-date the more well known examples. If I ever figure out what these are I'll post them.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Can't touch This / Super Freak
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

^^ Well, if we can go there:

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    Can't touch This / Super Freak
    That's called sampling.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

^^ Well, if we can go there:

If I'm not mistaken, it's the exact same backing track, only the vocal is different.

There was a song on the Captain Fantastic album by Elton John called We All Fall In Love Sometimes, a rather morose ballad on a mostly great album. Next from Elton was a double album called Blue Moves which had Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word. When I heard that one I could hardly tell the difference between the two songs. Interestingly, the latter song became the biggest hit on the whole double album.