Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil Collins pre-Genesis footage...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Hmmm interesting I have never seen this and it is much better than I expected (at least until the cheery cockney pub sing-along), but so completely of its time. I read that the album was written for them, rather than a product of the band, which I guess was not unusual for then.

Of course Phil ruined Flaming Youth
    And Genesis too.

Wait, that was Peter Gabriel when he left

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm a Peter Gabriel fanatic but Phil is a stronger vocalist.
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Me neither. Damn, Phil was a natural singer back in 1968. Shades of Steve Winwood, even. It's crazy that it was even a question who would succeed Peter Gabriel in '76.
    No. It's crazy that they ended up with Phil Collins.

Phil Collins was a fantastic 2nd voice (as was Chris Squire) but a terrible joy-spoiler lead vocal for a Progressive Band.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    Wrong.
    I have no probem with you disagreeing but it's stupid to say "wrong". It's your opinion and mine is different, not wrong.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    Phil Collins was a fantastic 2nd voice (as was Chris Squire) but a terrible joy-spoiler lead vocal for a Progressive Band.
    Wrong.

I'm a Peter Gabriel fanatic but Phil is a stronger vocalist.
    I love both. I would say Phil was technically a much better singer than Gabriel in the 70s (PG struggled a lot live, PC sounds great on pretty much every bootleg I heard from the 70s). Gabriel closed the gap by around 1982, and at the latest by the early 2000s was definitely better than Collins (I think Gabriel sounded much better on his Growing Up tour than Collins on his First Final Farewell tour) - PG's voice has aged much better while PC's continued to deteriorate, sadly.

Fascinating to see this, but compared to epic, gothic grandeur and intricacies of Nursery Cryme, this just comes off like Spinal Tap doing ‘Flower People’.
    Even Intravenous Di Milo was in the video somewhere!
    Good job Phil jumped ship. He does, however, have a nice arse in those tight velvet loons.