Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hatfield and the North - documentary recommendations?

Just found the articles from Ptolemaic Terrascope -three consecutive issues -here's the middle one about Hatfield:
    https://issuu.com/terrascope/docs/pt...ascope_issue_5

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They ought to put it up on the Kindle Store.
    Definitely! The book I've read most is Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler." If that's still OOP it should be on Kindle too. Love that book!

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Just found the articles from Ptolemaic Terrascope -three consecutive issues -here's the middle one about Hatfield:
    That’s a mess for those of us with less than telescopic sight.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    That’s a mess for those of us with less than telescopic sight.
    Luckily there's a zoom-in function at hand. It's a great read - almost all writings in Terrascope were.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 11-11-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The booklets that came with the two posthumous releases have some good notes do they not.....Hatwise Choice and the other one that I am too lazy to get up and check the title of.

Never really heard to PTS before (the name rings a distant bell, though), so thanks.

Can you tell me more of this publication, please?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Never really heard to PTS before (the name rings a distant bell, though), so thanks.

Here's what I wrote about the goddarn PTS in the mofo thread on the friggin' Bevis Frond, Hugues:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ptolemaic (IIRC) was distributed by Saloman's label Woronzow and he himself was a prominent contributor. I mean, that's the way things were back when the "revival" thing was happening in the late 80s/early 90s. Bands and artists formed their own labels, mags, and festivals (like Saloman's and Ptolemaic-editor Phil McMullen's very own and quite renowned Terrastock). This was even before we were as lucky as to get highly progressive acts appearing aboard fabulous cruise-ships.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I'm no expert on this, but Ptolemaic Terrascope was a magazine that came out from 1989 onwards at irregular intervals usually accompanied by a 7" single that featured artists from the magazine. I never saw it in a shop, you had to send off for it, and it was largely devoted to Psychedelic type music, but more the 90's variety (Bevis Frond, Sun Dial, Olivia Tremor Control) than the original 60's variety, although the originals got mentions as well. To my surprise it seems to still exist in some form -there's website with some recent reviews, so explore for yourself: https://www.terrascope.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    The booklets that came with the two posthumous releases have some good notes do they not.....Hatwise Choice and the other one that I am too lazy to get up and check the title of.
    Hattitudes if memory serves

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Here's what I wrote about the goddarn PTS in the mofo thread on the friggin' Bevis Frond, Hugues:
    Thx.

Meant o read the BF thread, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm no expert on this, but Ptolemaic Terrascope was a magazine that came out from 1989 onwards at irregular intervals usually accompanied by a 7" single that featured artists from the magazine. I never saw it in a shop, you had to send off for it, and it was largely devoted to Psychedelic type music, but more the 90's variety (Bevis Frond, Sun Dial, Olivia Tremor Control) than the original 60's variety, although the originals got mentions as well. To my surprise it seems to still exist in some form -there's website with some recent reviews, so explore for yourself: https://www.terrascope.co.uk/
    Yup, did a qucik search for it and found this page via the wiki page as well. Cool that it still exists.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I very much doubt there's anything at all in this that Calyx doesn't cover, but, nevertheless, it's a thing of beauty, as well as a thing of untold informational riches:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wQvQTgDC-V...amily+Tree.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I very much doubt there's anything at all in this that Calyx doesn't cover, but, nevertheless, it's a thing of beauty, as well as a thing of untold informational riches:

Very nice!

Is that in one of the Pete Frame books...?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I believe this one (or a shorter version) was also used in a big Canterbury article the Dutch Muziekkrant OOR published in the late seventies.

I'm no expert on this, but Ptolemaic Terrascope was a magazine that came out from 1989 onwards at irregular intervals usually accompanied by a 7" single that featured artists from the magazine. I never saw it in a shop, you had to send off for it,
    I used to buy it at Tower Records.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Very nice!

Is that in one of the Pete Frame books...?
    Aye, it is - I believe that no original print exists now. I remember this when it was first published as an insert in Sounds. I now have it in one of the two volumes of his collected Family Trees. One of the pleasures of idly poring over these wonderful documents is coming upon little authorial asides, buried away in a remote corner, a wee bit like the little caricatures of themselves that classical artists used to secrete in the corners of large canvases...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Nice!

It does not cover Percy Jones' tenure in Soft Machine, which Aymeric has down as beginning Sep.'76 until Dec.'76 when Steve Cook takes over on bass. Frame has Cook from Sep. onward, which is incorrect as we know because you can see Jones playing with them at the Newcastle Jazz Festival on Youtube, which was at the end of Oct. It must have been tough drawing up all those trees back prior to the internet being available for research.

Aye, it is - I believe that no original print exists now. I remember this when it was first published as an insert in Sounds. I now have it in one of the two volumes of his collected Family Trees. One of the pleasures of idly poring over these wonderful documents is coming upon little authorial asides, buried away in a remote corner, a wee bit like the little caricatures of themselves that classical artists used to secrete in the corners of large canvases...
    I never bought the books at the time, and they now seem to be changing hands for rather inflated prices. Ah well...
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I never bought the books at the time, and they now seem to be changing hands for rather inflated prices. Ah well...
    There have been reprints (I bought mine some 10 years ago) and no doubt there will be more.

BTW, I found the second one of lesser interest (compared to a fantastic first chapter) and I remember seeing a third book, concentrating on 80's bands, which I passed upon.

I believe this was first drawn up for the Soft Machine Triple Echo box set. Sadly I do not have a copy, but a friend had one in the 70’s and I recall this being in the booklet. I do have the Pete Frame books, they are works of wonder. I used to buy ZigZag back in the day too, where many of these were first published.

I did notice an error when browsing it earlier, he lists KHAN’s album as being Sea Shanty!