Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 100 of 100

Thread: R.I.P. Alex Trebek

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,542
    I think itís going to be extremely difficult to replace Alex for numerous reasons. Many fans will simply have problems with whoever takes over. I get the Ken Jennings idea as someone who is a familiar face and seems to be well liked among Jeopardy fans but is he good enough to take over? I couldnít tell you the answer to that. They know that they will never fill Alexís shoes but just find someone to carry on the show. It will be interesting to see what happens. I hope the show survives though. Thereís so much crap on TV and jeopardy is such a great game show.

    Rick

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I think it’s going to be extremely difficult to replace Alex for numerous reasons. Many fans will simply have problems with whoever takes over. I get the Ken Jennings idea as someone who is a familiar face and seems to be well liked among Jeopardy fans but is he good enough to take over? I couldn’t tell you the answer to that. They know that they will never fill Alex’s shoes but just find someone to carry on the show. It will be interesting to see what happens. I hope the show survives though. There’s so much crap on TV and jeopardy is such a great game show.

    Rick
    People said the same thing when Alex replaced Art Fleming.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  3. #78
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    491
    We'll see how Jennings does during his trial run the week after next. One problem is that Jennings is well-known in the trivia community; hundreds of potential contestants have had personal contact with him over the years. And supposedly you're disqualified from competing on the show if you know anyone who works there personally.

    Trebek was a newscaster early in his career, and a number of news people have been floated as potential hosts. This idea appeals to me; someone with the right sort of gravitas, the range of knowledge, the experience in front of the camera. And no prior connection to the trivia-industrial complex.

  4. #79
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    I must admit, Jennings did a decent job in his first episode tonight. He was clear and quick. No questions missed, and nothing eye-rolling out of his mouth. Pleasantly surprised.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  5. #80
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    491
    He gets it: it's all about the game. Draw little attention to yourself, maintain order, be clear and unambiguous, facilitate the gameplay. He'd be a fine host, and there are many others who would also be fine hosts.

    We can thank Alex for showing the way. If this were a new game, a new show, it might be more important for the host to exert influence on the audience. But Jeopardy! is the star here, so the host's job is not to occlude it.

  6. #81
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    But Jeopardy! is the star here, so the host's job is not to occlude it.
    Exactly.

  7. #82
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,231
    Perhaps you've heard about the campaign to remove Dr. Oz as guest host. People! Jeopardy isn't broadcast live! The episodes in question were taped weeks or months ago. They can't just edit Dr. Oz out of them. Apparently, many people who watch Jeopardy! would never qualify as contestants.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  8. #83
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,497
    Everyone of em should get a Picard/Riker double facepalm meme

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  9. #84
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,508
    I just find something else to do/watch for these two weeks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  10. #85
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Perhaps you've heard about the campaign to remove Dr. Oz as guest host. People! Jeopardy isn't broadcast live! The episodes in question were taped weeks or months ago. They can't just edit Dr. Oz out of them. Apparently, many people who watch Jeopardy! would never qualify as contestants.
    I can't stand Dr. Oz, but he's perfectly competent at reading out the Jeopardy clues efficiently. All I care about is the trivia anyway, I fast-forward the intro, the 'meet the contestants' and all commercials. I've seen enormous complaining no matter who the guest host has been so far. I'm a bit surprised people put so much stock in it, to be honest. As long as they read the clues clearly and quickly, I don't care who they are.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  11. #86
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,497
    LeVar Burton FTW!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  12. #87
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I can't stand Dr. Oz, but he's perfectly competent at reading out the Jeopardy clues efficiently. All I care about is the trivia anyway, I fast-forward the intro, the 'meet the contestants' and all commercials. I've seen enormous complaining no matter who the guest host has been so far. I'm a bit surprised people put so much stock in it, to be honest. As long as they read the clues clearly and quickly, I don't care who they are.
    Competent is as high as I'd place him, which is a really low bar IMO. Easily the worst of the four they have had thus far (and yes I'm just talking about being the host, none of the extracurricular baggage).
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  13. #88
    Ember
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    491
    AFAIC, Oz is a criminal charlatan who should have been prosecuted, and I will certainly never watch him. I love Jeopardy, but that they made this choice IMO calls into question whether the producers truly respect what the show has come to mean to many of its fans.

    Sure, it’s stupid that some people think it’s possible to retroactively delete him from Jeopardy, but Internet magnification makes them see more numerous than they are. The ratings will hopefully reflect the actual feelings of actual viewers in their actual numbers.

  14. #89
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Competent is as high as I'd place him, which is a really low bar IMO. Easily the worst of the four they have had thus far (and yes I'm just talking about being the host, none of the extracurricular baggage).
    I don't know, I'd say Katie Couric was the worst of the four (although I much prefer her as a person).

    Believe me, I despise everything that Dr. Oz represents, but I see no need to deprive myself of ten games of Jeopardy when it's going to otherwise make absolutely no difference whether I watch or not. Particularly since he is not influencing the game in any way (if he was, that would obviously be a very different story).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  15. #90
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Believe me, I despise everything that Dr. Oz represents, but I see no need to deprive myself of ten games of Jeopardy when it's going to otherwise make absolutely no difference whether I watch or not. Particularly since he is not influencing the game in any way (if he was, that would obviously be a very different story).
    It just sends a message, however small, that the producers of the show should be ashamed for even considering him as host. They lost a LOT of integrity over this, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  16. #91
    I don't care about Dr Oz or Katie Couric for that matter. It was mentioned in this thread about fast forwarding through the interviews and commercials. I also do that. I also did this with ​Alex Trebek and the other guest hosts. All of them so far were fine with reading the clues. It must not be as difficult as I thought it was.

  17. #92
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I don't care about Dr Oz or Katie Couric for that matter. It was mentioned in this thread about fast forwarding through the interviews and commercials. I also do that. I also did this with ​Alex Trebek and the other guest hosts. All of them so far were fine with reading the clues. It must not be as difficult as I thought it was.
    Yep, this exactly. I have no time or patience for anything that isn't the trivia, that's all I care about. That's not to say that the host can't change the tone of the show - if it was Gilbert Gottfried reading the clues, I wouldn't be able to watch. But like I said, Oz - tool that he is - reads the clues clearly and quickly, and we don't seem to miss many when the buzzer goes (unlike with Alex in the last few years, I'm sorry to say). It's never been about the host for me, and I also skipped through everything when it was Alex.

    Bonus points if the last category on the board to be picked is American politics, country music or anything involving some affiliated network's news team reading the clues, then I can skip that too. You should see me whittle down SNL to a half an hour.

    Scott, I understand what you're saying too. I do think there are thousands of people they could have gone with whose beliefs and actions outside of the game would be more in line with what the show represents. Of course, if you saw the Jeopardy Twitter feed when it was Katie Couric, the vitriol and boycotting was sky-high then, too.

    I've seen a lot of people wanting Levar Burton. Is there a reason he specifically gets so many votes? I think I missed something there, I don't know a lot about him apart from a couple of well known roles he's played.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  18. #93
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,562
    There's a recently unemployed individual with game show experience that they could get.

  19. #94
    To anyone not watching because they don't like the host or if a show was missed and not recorded here is a link going all the way back to the 1980s with every show formatted based in the jeopardy board. Click the dollar amount over each clue for the correct response.

    https://j-archive.com/

  20. #95
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There's a recently unemployed individual with game show experience that they could get.
    Might be worth watching just to see him try to pronounce those 3-syllable words.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There's a recently unemployed individual with game show experience that they could get.
    He would be the greatest Jeopardy host in the history of Jeopardy hosts, believe me.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  22. #97
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't know, I'd say Katie Couric was the worst of the four (although I much prefer her as a person).

    Believe me, I despise everything that Dr. Oz represents, but I see no need to deprive myself of ten games of Jeopardy when it's going to otherwise make absolutely no difference whether I watch or not. Particularly since he is not influencing the game in any way (if he was, that would obviously be a very different story).
    I disagree. Obviously, he isn't illiterate, but I don't think he reads the clues that well and I dont think he has the voice for game show hosting (or any type of hosting really). Couric was bad at the times she had to (for lack of a better phrase) act like a human, but I thought she was very good at reading the questions. I think she would be an excellent choice to voice a Jeopardy video game. (The comparison I thought of immediately was the computer on Star Trek. Clean, simple, straightforward, and pleasant with no discernable push towards any particular type or bias...and yes I mean that as a compliment. )

    And just for the record, I fast forward the interviews and opening and closing as well (although I do watch the guests hosts opening the first day, just to see what they say/how they are approaching things).
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  23. #98
    So far I think Jennings was the best and most likable. Followed by the Jeopardy producer/whatever. Curric was a misfire . Oz , regardless of history , wasn't very good. Speed talking , abrupt and sharp. He's last of the 4.

  24. #99
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    957
    Were you guys referring to Chris Harrison earlier? If so I can't see why he couldn't do it. He might not be the perfect fit but neither are the last few(obviously). I personally don't see why Ken Jennings doesn't do it unless he has other commitments(I don't see that other game show thing he does taking up too much time but not sure).

  25. #100
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,962
    Jennings surprised me. As a contestant, I found him a tad pretentious after a while (though nowhere near the level of James Holzhauer, who I just wanted to punch every time he was on - and I'm not a violent person at all). But as the host, he was sharp and efficient, without any of the pretense I anticipated. He understands the game and I'd be fine with him permanently, though I heard he's not interested in that. I was definitely wrong about him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •