Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Alex Trebek

So The New York Times ran an obit in today's paper for Mr Trebeck. An acknowledgement of Trebecks popularity , he was given a chunk of Page 1 and all of pages 16 and 17 in the first section. Anyone familiar with the Times knows that the allocation of prime print space , and this large amount , is something reserved for the most popular , influenciale , and relevent amoung us.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    So The New York Times ran an obit in today's paper for Mr Trebeck. An acknowledgement of Trebecks popularity , he was given a chunk of Page 1 and all of pages 16 and 17 in the first section. Anyone familiar with the Times knows that the allocation of prime print space , and this large amount , is something reserved for the most popular , influenciale , and relevent amoung us.
    He deserves it for sure. RIP Alex. A one of a kind for sure. Wish there were more people like him in TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Unless he is purposely choosing questions that he knows certain people are good/bad at, I'm not sure how he can be biased as the host. (And I would imagine the clue team or whatever they are called does that process.) .
    It's not so much a matter of being biased, so much as the perception thereof. I remember Art Fleming telling a story about doing an episode of Concentration back in the early 60's, where someone guessed the puzzle with only one clue. I think the answer was Gina Lollabrigida. This was just a couple years after the game show scandal, so when tehy came back from the commercial break, he asked the contestant to explain how he came up with the answer, so that viewers wouldn't think there were any improprieties going on.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's not so much a matter of being biased, so much as the perception thereof. I remember Art Fleming telling a story about doing an episode of Concentration back in the early 60's, where someone guessed the puzzle with only one clue. I think the answer was Gina Lollabrigida. This was just a couple years after the game show scandal, so when tehy came back from the commercial break, he asked the contestant to explain how he came up with the answer, so that viewers wouldn't think there were any improprieties going on.
    And then you have the people that can't guess the 'Wheel of Fortune', and it painfully obvious they really don't know.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

RIP Mr Trebek - truly one of the great ones. I lost my own father in 2013 to the same disease.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Unless he is purposely choosing questions that he knows certain people are good/bad at, I'm not sure how he can be biased as the host. (And I would imagine the clue team or whatever they are called does that process.)

For me, this makes the most sense. They did recently hire him to be a producer or something akin to that, which I figured was just to get him comfortable to eventually move him to host. But if Ken doesn't want to do it, then I'm sure they will find someone else.
    On modern Jeopardy!, contestants’ signaling devices are locked out until the host finishes reading the clue. Many expert players have stated that learning to follow Alex’s speech rhythm is a necessary skill for becoming a champion. Thus, the host does play an active part that a disgruntled loser might suggest could be biased. How? Beats me.

I’d vote for Jennings as well. And I suspect the right offer could change his mind. He loves the game, the fans love him, mostly, and he seems to have the skills. As a bonus, with Jennings as Trebek’s successor, the show could continue in its present form. A brand-new host would probably also require at least a mild reboot, so the new person wouldn’t look like a pretender.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Ken Jennings would be good, if he wants the job. I'd also be pleased with Cheech Marin, a winner on Celebrity Jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    And then you have the people that can't guess the 'Wheel of Fortune', and it painfully obvious they really don't know.
    While I never watch this show, I did see one instance where the contestant had the following letters:

H_P H_P
    HOORAY

And, she guessed:

"Hip Hop Hooray?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Yeah, you give them BL_CK S_BB_TH, and they're like "Perry Como?"

Actually, there were a couple on Jeopardy that kinda made me laugh, both music related. One was a clue about how "This band took We're Not Gonna Take It" to the top ten or something like that. The guy buzzed and guess The Who. I can't remember if the topic was 80's centric or not.

Another one, the clue was something like "Lionel Ritchie danced here in 1986". I think the guy guessed "Stuck On You" or something, needless to say, it was the wrong song he picked.

And that reminds me of a Rock N Roll Jeopardy show I watched, where someone guessed "The Bus Boys" in response to a clue relating to the song Boys Are Back In Town (I'll give you a hint on the correct answer: there's a statue of their lead singer/bassist in Dublin).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-10-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    Actually, there were a couple on Jeopardy that kinda made me laugh, both music related. One was a clue about how "This band took We're Not Gonna Take It" to the top ten or something like that. The guy buzzed and guess The Who. I can't remember if the topic was 80's centric or not.
    1969 vs 1984. Sometimes being older is not to your advantage. I, too, would have guessed The Who. Even though 'We're Not Gonna Take It' was probably not a top ten single for The Who. It's just the one that comes to mind first. It's not only age. The Who are one of the top ten rock bands in history. Twisted Sister, while not bad, have a few less fans worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    1969 vs 1984. Sometimes being older is not to your advantage. I, too, would have guessed The Who. Even though 'We're Not Gonna Take It' was probably not a top ten single for The Who.
    We're Not Gonna Take It was not a hit for The Who. I don't even think it was released as a single. I think what happened was the guy focused on the song title, and apparently didn't hear much of the rest of the clue, which I think made it obvious they were looking for the Twisted Sister song. That's the thing, you have to listen to the entire clue, you can't just focus in on something like a song title or whatever.

Twisted Sister, while not bad, have a few less fans worldwide.
    Fair enough, but Stateside, Twisted Sister were very popular, for awhile, because of those two videos. I can only guess either the guy was so clueless about pop culture he didn't even notice that particular phenomenon, or he maybe he knew about the live action Road Runner video with the guy from Animal House essentially playing the coyote role, he just didn't know the title of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    I think what happened was the guy focused on the song title, and apparently didn't hear much of the rest of the clue, which I think made it obvious they were looking for the Twisted Sister song. That's the thing, you have to listen to the entire clue, you can't just focus in on something like a song title or whatever.
    Jeopardy: No game show for space cadets, or absent minded geezers.

I like it anyway, despite occasionally being one or more of the above.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And that reminds me of a Rock N Roll Jeopardy show I watched, where someone guessed "The Bus Boys" in response to a clue relating to the song Boys Are Back In Town (I'll give you a hint on the correct answer: there's a statue of their lead singer/bassist in Dublin).

The BusBoys performed 'The Boys Are Back In Town' in the Eddie Murphy/Nick Nolte film '48 Hrs'.

I saw a quick clip of an episode of Wheel of Fortune that Alex Trebek hosted! Did anyone see that episode?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I saw a quick clip of an episode of Wheel of Fortune that Alex Trebek hosted! Did anyone see that episode?
    You have to cut back on the acid.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You have to cut back on the acid.
    Nope, it's the real deal! Here's the info from Wiki.

You mean you're Canadian and you didn't know this!?

Trebek and Pat Sajak, host of Wheel of Fortune, traded places on April Fools' Day 1997. Pat Sajak hosted Jeopardy! and Trebek hosted Wheel of Fortune with Sajak's wife, Lesly, as Trebek's co-host. Sajak and Wheel of Fortune co-host Vanna White played contestants at the wheel, with winnings going toward charities.

^^ That's mind fuck.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched a certain music documentary last night and got a kick out of seeing this as there was yet another show he hosted not mentioned here that I wasn't aware of... anyway, it's short and sweet.

Gord & Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    The BusBoys performed 'The Boys Are Back In Town' in the Eddie Murphy/Nick Nolte film '48 Hrs'.
    yes, sure, but where's their statues? Also, when was the last time you heard their song on the radio?

"Alex Trebek, Remembered" (a 20/20 special) is highly recommended to fans of Alex Trebek and Jeopardy! He had an amazing life and dealt admirably with his disease at the end of his life. The special is very well done. We were able to stream it directly via Directv, but it is also available to stream here:
    https://abc.com/.../epi.../2020-11/0...bek-remembered

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Indeed. A very correct answer.

yes, sure, but where's their statues? Also, when was the last time you heard their song on the radio?
    Was the clue relating to the song Boys Are Back In Town that was heard by someone on the radio recently and the band had statutes built of them?

Ken Jennings the first guest host!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

next week his last 5 episodes will be aired. his final episode on Christmas Day Friday.