Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nik Kershaw track is Prog

New Nik Kershaw track is Prog

Surely with the time signature, harmonies and instrumentation?

Kershaw has expressed his penchant for Hatfield & the North and others on more than one occasion. This song could easily be a Sanguine Hum track et al.

He was always good. But this is truly lovely.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wouldn't it be nice... If Nik was a progger?

Very nice song

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Kershaw has expressed his penchant for Hatfield & the North and others on more than one occasion. This song could easily be a Sanguine Hum track et al.
    Despite the fact that loathing prog rock was ABSOLUTELY OBLIGATORY for social acceptance in 1980s Britain, there were quite a few popsters on both the mainstream and indie sides who had a dirty little secret penchant...Nik among them, though of course one could also name Japan, Tears for Fears, Kajagoogoo, OMD and Talk Talk as big names having that skeleton in their closet, without even thinking too hard.

Liverpool was a bit of an exception to the general prog-hate rule, I think, as progressive and psych music always maintained a following there. Which is how you could end up with something like the overt indie-prog-pop of The Icicle Works:

They even got played on Peel.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

That is quite a lovely song. Very lush production which if I remember correctly was always a hallmark of Nik Kershaw's sound.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Despite the fact that loathing prog rock was ABSOLUTELY OBLIGATORY for social acceptance in 1980s Britain, there were quite a few popsters on both the mainstream and indie sides who had a dirty little secret penchant...Nik among them, though of course one could also name Japan, Tears for Fears, Kajagoogoo, OMD and Talk Talk as big names having that skeleton in their closet,

Liverpool was a bit of an exception to the general prog-hate rule, I think, as progressive and psych music always maintained a following there. Which is how you could end up with something like the overt indie-prog-pop of The Icicle Works
    And there was always Prefab Sprout's admiration for Robert Wyatt and, obviously, Mark E. Smith of The Fall who was a huge VdGG and Art Bears-fan. But hey, we've been down this road of "80s 'prog dissenters' in non-prog environments" so many times before that my chin grows thin.

I mean, there was also that Benny Hill theme for progressive alibis.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

But hey, we've been down this road of "80s 'prog dissenters' in non-prog environments" so many times before that my chin grows thin.
    Sorry, hobby-horse of mine. It did make quite an impression when Mark E. Smith threatened to eviscerate me with a broken bottle for saying I didn't think much of the first Kluster LP, though.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Wouldn’t it be good?

Sorry, hobby-horse of mine. It did make quite an impression when Mark E. Smith threatened to eviscerate me with a broken bottle for saying I didn't think much of the first Kluster LP, though.
    I just re-read Mark E Smith’s biography, his love for all things Krautrock was evident, balanced out by his contempt and disdain for past band members.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Didn't Johhny Rotten like Peter Hammill?
    Indeed he did, along with many of the German bands and of course Hawkwind.

Most everybody who came into that early U.K. punk scene had a history in the progressive and counter-cultural artists of the previous decade, and it became more evident as they moved onto phase two projects such as PIL and Magazine.

Listened whole album from Spotify. Pretty boring experience. I have never "got" Nik Kershaw.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    That was the Beach Boys.

Don't know if I'd call the track in the OP Prog-Rock, but it sounds like it could have fit on the Toy Matinee album. I'll have to give the album a listen. Might need to get some Kershaw to sit next to the Best Of or Greatest Hits or whatever CD I have.

I must be hallucinating, but what do you mean? Is there an actual story in this?

Sorry, hobby-horse of mine.
    Don't have to be sorry - hobby-horses are goody!

But you do have to agree that we somehow flogged that hobby-horse a bit to deauth, eh?

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ight=schicksal

After listening to more of those 16 tunes on the new Kershaw I have to say that this in question here is certainly one of the better.

Don't have to be sorry - hobby-horses are goody!

But you do have to agree that we somehow flogged that hobby-horse a bit to deauth, eh?

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ight=schicksal
    Good thread, which I don't think I've seen before!

Bandcamp Profile

Who would have thought that the guy singing here is now all over the Prog Scene

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I must be hallucinating, but what do you mean? Is there an actual story in this?
    Nah, it was BS. The closest I came to having words with him was when me and a couple of friends dropped into a bar for pre-gig drinks on our way to see The Fall in Newcastle and found that MES had had the same idea. Only his take on pre-gig drinks was probably a bit more...comprehensive...than ours. It was pretty clear that trying to start up a casual chat with the great man would be a bad idea, so we didn't. He was still at the bar when we left. His performance, when The Fall eventually did take the stage, wasn't noticeably different than usual. Then again, he may not have been any drunker than usual.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM.

Bandcamp Profile

Nice song... sort of Sting-y in some ways IMO. But props for coming up with a reasonably fresh way to build a pop song around a 5/4 riff.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He was always good. But this is truly lovely.
    Just listened to it, and I agree with all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I just re-read Mark E Smith’s biography, his love for all things Krautrock was evident, balanced out by his contempt and disdain for past band members.
    I think Mark E Smith had contempt and disdain for anyone that walked upon the earth at one time or another.

My God that's good.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Love me some Nik Kershaw. His early albums like The Riddle, Radio Musicola and The Works contain clever pop with wonderful guitarplaying (think Allan Holdsworth goes pop). Kershaw started in a fusion-band called... Fusion after all. This sounds a bit like the first albums by Duncan Sheik.

I liked that. Thanks for the post.
    I've only ever had The Riddle from him and the recordings with Banks.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"