Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Zappa’: See New Trailer for ‘Definitive’ Doc About Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Greggery Peccary?
    Good call! That one never did much for me though, lacks sense of melody.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    One of the greatest things he ever did to my ears.

Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    These two comments exemplify the greatness that is Frank Zappa.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    QFT

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/11...album-details/

1. Anyway The Wind Blows – The Mothers of Invention (2:54)
    2. You’re Probably Wondering Why I’m Here – The Mothers of Invention (3:38)
    3. Everytime I See You – The Heartbreakers (2:30)
    4. Motherly Love – The Mothers of Invention (2:42)
    5. Memories Of El Monte – Live At Whisky a Go-Go, Los Angeles, 1968 – The Mothers of Invention (4:12)
    6. Oh! In The Sky – Live At Whisky a Go-Go, Los Angeles, 1968 – The Mothers of Invention (1:56)
    7. The Duke – Live At Whisky a Go-Go, Los Angeles, 1968 – The Mothers of Invention (6:30)
    8. How Could I Be Such A Fool? – Frank Zappa (1:48)
    9. “The Reason We Have Stayed Together” – Frank Zappa (1:15)
    10. Black Beauty – Frank Zappa (5:22)
    11. Absolutely Free – The Mothers of Invention (3:24)
    12. You Didn’t Try To Call Me – Basic Tracks – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (2:56)
    13. Agency Man – Studio Version – Frank Zappa (3:27)
    14. Oh No – The Mothers of Invention (1:45)
    15. Mother People – The Mothers of Invention (2:32)
    16. Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite: Finale – Orchestre de l’Opéra Bastille & Myung-Whun Chung (3:12)
    17. FZ On Varèse – Frank Zappa (3:08)
    18. Varèse: Ionisation – Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Pierre Boulez (5:47)
    19. The Captains Fat Theresa Shoes – The GTO’s (1:53)
    20. No Longer Umpire – Alice Cooper (1:58)
    21. Road Ladies – Frank Zappa (4:10)

22. Call Any Vegetable Excerpts – Live At Fillmore West, November 6, 1970 – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (4:24)
    23. Happy Together – Live At Fillmore West, 1970 – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention (1:04)
    24. Scumbag – Live At Fillmore East, NYC, 1971 – Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention, John Lennon & Yoko Ono (5:48)
    25. Your Mouth – Frank Zappa (3:11)
    26. Cheepnis – Live At The Roxy, Los Angeles, 12/10/73 / Show 1 – Frank Zappa (3:18)
    27. Apostrophe’ – Live In Los Angeles, Rehearsal Hall, June 21, 1974 – Frank Zappa (6:08)
    28. Muffin Man – Live At The Palladium, NYC, October 28, 1977 – Frank Zappa (4:34)
    29. Dancin’ Fool – Live On Saturday Night Live, October 21, 1978 – Frank Zappa (3:49)
    30. Mo’s Vacation – Live In Munich, Germany, August 31, 1978 – Frank Zappa (4:02)
    31. The Black Page #1 – Piano Version – Frank Zappa (2:12)
    32. Sofa – Live At The Palladium, NYC, 1976 / 1977 Mix – Frank Zappa (2:56)
    33. Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt – Frank Zappa (4:43)
    34. Valley Girl (Frank Zappa & Moon Zappa (4:50)
    35. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing – Live At The Pier, NYC, 1984 – Frank Zappa (3:06)
    36. H.R. 2911 – Frank Zappa (3:33)
    37. G-Spot Tornado – Frank Zappa (5:17)

38. Frank’s Library – John Frizzell (1:22)
    39. Edgewood Arsenal – John Frizzell (1:01)
    40. Frank’s Parents – John Frizzell (0:30)
    41. The Blackouts – John Frizzell (0:28)
    42. Greeting Cards – John Frizzell (0:38)
    43. Studio Z – John Frizzell (1:41)
    44. Frank Goes To Jail – John Frizzell (1:07)
    45. Musically Difficult – John Frizzell (1:58)
    46. The Parts Are Complicated – John Frizzell (0:42)
    47. Murray Roman’s TV Show – John Frizzell (1:08)
    48. Frank Put His Foot Down – John Frizzell (2:34)
    49. Laurel Canyon – John Frizzell (0:31)
    50. The Manson Family – John Frizzell (0:46)
    51. Are We Going To Get Paid – John Frizzell (0:46)
    52. Steve Vai’s Perspective – John Frizzell (0:47)
    53. Frank Could Be Hardcore – John Frizzell (1:41)
    54. Bruce Bickford’s Zappa Head – John Frizzell (4:28)
    55. If I’m Alive – John Frizzell (0:36)
    56. Keep This Guy Under Check – John Frizzell (1:26)
    57. Frank’s Business Perspective – John Frizzell (0:32)
    58. Fake It – John Frizzell (0:58)
    59. Don’t Have Any Friends – John Frizzell (0:31)
    60. Hi, I’m Moon – John Frizzell (0:27)
    61. Frank Addresses Congress – John Frizzell (1:11)
    62. Turn Off That Zappa Music – John Frizzell (1:21)
    63. Frank Getting Sick – John Frizzell (1:05)
    64. Envelopes – Frank Zappa & London Symphony Orchestra (4:05)
    65. Overture – Live In Frankfurt, Germany, September 19, 1992 – Frank Zappa & Ensemble Modern (9:16)
    66. Get Whitey – Frank Zappa (6:30)
    67. Nap Time – Frank Zappa (7:56)
    68. Watermelon In Easter Hay – Live, 1978 – Frank Zappa (5:59)

^I'd like to play that on a jukebox at a pub.

I watched it today on Prime. $5. Fantastic! Music clips are short as it's a documentary on Frank's life, but I knew that going in.
    I loved what so many people had to say about him, especially Ruth. Highly recommended.

I enjoyed it, felt like Xmas came early!

I REALLY REALLY loved the documentary but, I believe it gave short shrift to a huge part of his history/output - the time after the London incident and before the 80s was just illustrated in quick montage that felt like just a minute long. I do have that theory that one of the conditions for the unprecedented access given to Alex Winter was that he had to emphasize Zappa the serious composer as opposed to Zappa the rock star, which the period in question, was very much all about... And while I don't disagree - like I said, LOVED the doc - still wish more was included about that period... So unfortunately, even if pretty much the best Zappa doc... not the definitive...

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I REALLY REALLY loved the documentary but, I believe it gave short shrift to a huge part of his history/output - the time after the London incident and before the 80s was just illustrated in quick montage that felt like just a minute long. I do have that theory that one of the conditions for the unprecedented access given to Alex Winter was that he had to emphasize Zappa the serious composer as opposed to Zappa the rock star, which the period in question, was very much all about... And while I don't disagree - like I said, LOVED the doc - still wish more was included about that period... So unfortunately, even if pretty much the best Zappa doc... not the definitive...
    I can understand that from a filmmaking perspective. While the '70s was probably Frank's best period musically, he was more or less on one long tour for the entire decade. Maybe just not much of a story to tell, there--essentially it was just "Way More Than 200 Motels".

Watched the Zappa documentary yesterday and I thought it was Great. Learned a lot of information about Frank Zappa and his music that I didn't know before.

Same here. One of my favorite FZ compositions ever.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post

18. Varèse: Ionisation – Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Pierre Boulez
    I guess it was too much to ask for that it would be the one from The Rage & the Fury and not the one from the 1995 Deutsche Grammophon album that I already have.

Watched this over the weekend.. I thought it was very well done.. to cover his entire career in detail it would have taken multiple episodes.. but as far as a broad brush stroke over his life I came away from it giving it two thumbs up.. My wife who is not a Zappa fan, having listened to a bit of his music in car rides etc. had no idea of his back story came away with a respect for his musical genius.. If there was one area that surprised me a bit was little or no input from his children.. sure they hit on Moon Unit/Valley Girl but I kinda thought Dweezil might contribute something.. I've seen a couple of interviews with Alex and as I recall he mentioned having access to the entire vault but he also mentioned the family told him a few items were off limits.. perhaps they also said they didn't want to be interviewed.. Loved what Ruth, Steve and Gail contributed..

watched with my pal Yehuda Kotton last night
    there is some amazing footage never seen before from his childhood and also from the early parts of his career
    amazing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    the time after the London incident and before the 80s was just illustrated in quick montage that felt like just a minute long. I do have that theory that one of the conditions for the unprecedented access given to Alex Winter was that he had to emphasize Zappa the serious composer as opposed to Zappa the rock star, which the period in question, was very much all about... And while I don't disagree - like I said, LOVED the doc - still wish more was included about that period... So unfortunately, even if pretty much the best Zappa doc... not the definitive...
    v
    I totally agree with this

Does anyone know if there is a list of the shows shown in the film ?
    The snippet they showed of We Don't Mess Around - Circus Krone Munchen 1978 sounded amazing
    I pray that will eventually be officially released along with Stockholm, Sweden 8.21.73

Lovely stuff. I was into tears the last part of it - that fucking Get Whitey destroys me.

If there is one person that understood the man, that has to be Ruth Underwood. What a beautiful human being.

I really enjoyed it, as well. He was such a remarkable consistent person across his entire life.

Does anyone how much of the soundtrack contains unreleased music? There are definitely songs that I hear for the first time, or can't remember ever hearing before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Does anyone how much of the soundtrack contains unreleased music? There are definitely songs that I hear for the first time, or can't remember ever hearing before.
    If you're referring to the soundtrack CD, here's the track list. I was considering getting it until I saw that disc three is mostly the score from the documentary:

3CD & DIGITAL TRACK LIST:

CD1:

Anyway The Wind Blows (from Freak Out!) – The Mothers of Invention
    You’re Probably Wondering Why I’m Here (from Freak Out!) – The Mothers of Invention
    Everytime I See You – The Heartbreakers^
    Motherly Love (from Freak Out!) – The Mothers of Invention
    Memories Of El Monte (Live from the Whisky A Go-Go – June 23, 1968) – The Mothers of Invention*
    Oh! In The Sky (Live from the Whisky A Go-Go – June 23, 1968) – The Mothers of Invention*
    The Duke (Live from the Whisky A Go-Go – June 23, 1968) – The Mothers of Invention*
    How Could I Be Such A Fool? (from Mystery Disc) – Frank Zappa
    “The Reason We Have Stayed Together…” – Frank Zappa interview with Warren Duffy / WMEX Boston, MA – January 31, 1969*
    Black Beauty (from Mystery Disc) – Frank Zappa
    Absolutely Free (from We’re Only In It For The Money) – The Mothers of Invention
    You Didn’t Try To Call Me (Basic Tracks) (from The MOFO Project/Object) – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention
    Agency Man (from Mystery Disc) – Frank Zappa
    Oh No (from Weasels Ripped My Flesh) – The Mothers of Invention
    Mother People (from We’re Only In It For The Money) – The Mothers of Invention
    Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite: Finale – Orchestre de l’Opéra Bastille & Myung Whun Chung
    “FZ on Varèse” – Frank Zappa interview with Craig Eldon Pinkus, Indiana University Radio-TV Center – April 25, 1974*
    Varèse: Ionisation – Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Pierre Boulez
    The Captain’s Fat Theresa Shoes – GTO’s^
    No Longer Umpire – Alice Cooper
    Road Ladies (from Chunga’s Revenge) – Frank Zappa

CD2:

Call Any Vegetable (Excerpts) (Live at Fillmore West – November 6, 1970) – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention*
    Happy Together (Live at Fillmore West – November 6, 1970) – Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention*
    Scumbag (Live at Fillmore East, NYC, 1971) (from Playground Psychotics) – Frank Zappa, The Mothers of Invention, John Lennon, Yoko Ono
    Your Mouth (from Waka/Jawaka) – Frank Zappa
    Cheepnis (Live at the Roxy, 12/10/73, Show 1) (from The Roxy Performances) – Frank Zappa
    Apostrophe’ (Live in Los Angeles, Rehearsal Hall – June 21, 1974) – Frank Zappa*
    Muffin Man (Live at The Palladium, NYC, 1977) (from Baby Snakes – The Compleat Soundtrack) – Frank Zappa^
    Dancin’ Fool (Live on “Saturday Night Live” – October 21, 1978) – Frank Zappa*
    Mo’s Vacation (Live in Munich 1978) – Frank Zappa*
    The Black Page #1 (Piano Version) (from Zappa In New York 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) – Frank Zappa
    Sofa (1977 Mix, Live) (from Zappa In New York 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) – Frank Zappa
    Fembot In A Wet T-shirt (from Joe’s Garage – Act I) – Frank Zappa
    Valley Girl (from Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch) – Frank Zappa & Moon Zappa
    The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing (Live at The Pier, NYC – 1984) – Frank Zappa*
    H.R. 2911 (from Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention) – Frank Zappa
    G-Spot Tornado (from The Yellow Shark) – Frank Zappa

CD3:

Frank’s Library – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Edgewood Arsenal – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank’s Parents – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    The Blackouts – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Greeting Cards – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Studio Z – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank Goes To Jail – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Musically Difficult – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    The Parts Are Complicated – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Murray Roman’s TV Show – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank Put His Foot Down – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Laurel Canyon – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    The Manson Family – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Are We Going To Get Paid – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Steve Vai’s Perspective – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank Could Be Hardcore – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Bruce Bickford’s Zappa Head – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    If I’m Alive – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Keep This Guy Under Check – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank’s Business Perspective – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Fake It – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Don’t Have Any Friends – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Hi, I’m Moon – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank Addresses Congress – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Turn Off That Zappa Music – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Frank Getting Sick – Original Documentary Score by John Frizzell
    Envelopes (1983 Original Vinyl Mix) – Frank Zappa, London Symphony Orchestra^
    Overture (Live in Frankfurt, Germany – September 19, 1992) – Ensemble Modern, Conducted by Frank Zappa*
    Get Whitey (from The Yellow Shark) – Frank Zappa
    Nap Time (from Everything Is Healing Nicely) – Frank Zappa
    Watermelon In Easter Hay (Live, 1978) (from Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank Zappa – A Memorial Tribute) – Frank Zappa
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^Thanks. I've seen the track list, I just don't know what of it is seeing the light of day for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ^Thanks. I've seen the track list, I just don't know what of it is seeing the light of day for the first time.
    That appears to be indicated by asterisks in the track listing.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

For me at least, only the three tracks from the Whiskey in 1968 on disc one and "Apostrophe" from the unreleased 1974 TV special with the early summer '74 band including Jeff Simmons are notable.