Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Zappa’: See New Trailer for ‘Definitive’ Doc About Frank Zappa

'Zappa’: See New Trailer for ‘Definitive’ Doc About Frank Zappa

Ahead of the November 27th release of Zappa — a documentary about the unclassifiable rocker, composer and guitar god Frank Zappa — Rolling Stone is premiering the latest trailer for director Alex Winter’s long-in-the-works film.

The documentary — the first made with the approval and cooperation of the Zappa estate — features tons of never-before-seen home movies, interviews and live footage excavated from Zappa’s enormous vault.

Read More & See Trailer Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ailer-1079352/

This should be great. Zappa was a such an enigma. Without trying to be contentious, where do people think he would stand today on the Great Mask Debate raging around the world?
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

The eons are closing
    Totally stoked.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    This should be great. Zappa was a such an enigma. Without trying to be contentious, where do people think he would stand today on the Great Mask Debate raging around the world?
    Frank was into 'freedom', and not so much into 'free-dumb'; I would like to HOPE he would be a proponent of wearing a mask for the common good.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Frank did have a tendency to see conspiracies, so I wonder whether he would have fallen into that re Covid. He would have been out front criticizing "cancel culture," that's for sure.

It'll be interesting to see how evenhanded this documentary is. Frank is a huge influence on my own life and music, but I'll be the first to admit that there are some unfortunate aspects to his life behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Frank did have a tendency to see conspiracies, so I wonder whether he would have fallen into that re Covid. He would have been out front criticizing "cancel culture," that's for sure.
    Conspiracy theories are nothing new and I don't recall him subscribing to anything like the nonsense that's being peddled today. Idiots are pushing the so-called "cancel culture" myth. Frank was no idiot. That's for sure.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Frank was brutally anti-censorship, and I think today's culture of "public shaming" would have horrified him enough to speak out against--and probably double down on the things people find offensive.

The myth of the U.S. military creating AIDS was just as idiotic as anything out there today, and yet Frank advanced that theory seemingly seriously. Idiocy is one of the few human constants, and Frank fell into it occasionally. Most of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Conspiracy theories are nothing new and I don't recall him subscribing to anything like the nonsense that's being peddled today.
    It's hard to be sure how serious he was about the "AIDS was created by the government" thing.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The A.M.A. has just got caught
    For doin' stuff it shouldn't ought
    All they do is lie and lie
    Where's Doctor Koop?
    He's standin' by

Surgeon General? What's the deal?
    Is your epidemic real?
    Are you leaving something out?
    Something we can't talk about?
    A little green monkey over there
    Kills a million people?
    That's not fair!
    Did it really go that way?
    Did you ask the C.I.A.?
    Would they take you serious
    Or have THEY been
    Promiscuous

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's hard to be sure how serious he was about the "AIDS was created by the government" thing.
    Why is that? You know him personally and he expressed something different?

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Ahead of the November 27th release of Zappa — a documentary about the unclassifiable rocker, composer and guitar god Frank Zappa — Rolling Stone is premiering the latest trailer for director Alex Winter’s long-in-the-works film.

The documentary — the first made with the approval and cooperation of the Zappa estate — features tons of never-before-seen home movies, interviews and live footage excavated from Zappa’s enormous vault.

Looks great.. thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Frank was brutally anti-censorship, and I think today's culture of "public shaming" would have horrified him enough to speak out against--and probably double down on the things people find offensive.
    Frank Zappa was the master of public shaming.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Looking forward to it!

Looks good but very short list of interviewees on IMDb. I hope there are more than that....

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post

Not the first ,
    at least Thorsten Schütte´s great 2016 documentary ´Eat That Question´ ( 90 minutes plus about 50 minutes bonus on the DVD) was supported officially by the ZFT
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

'Let us not be too rough on our own ignorance - after all, that's what makes America great'

FZ

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    'Let us not be too rough on our own ignorance - after all, that's what makes America great'

FZ
    Nah, his best quote was simply, "FIRE!!!!!!"

Sure, it wasn't quite that simple but it happened sorta like that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Not the first ,
    at least Thorsten Schütte´s great 2016 documentary ´Eat That Question´ ... was supported officially by the ZFT
    Henning Lohner's excellent Peefeeyatko documentary was also official :

Frank Schaeffer's A pioneer of future music began as an official project...

There was a Guardian article about the documentary today - link below. I'm not into Zappa's music that much (I only have Joe's Garage) but I find him an extremely interesting person and I'm looking forward to the documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ry-alex-winter
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I don't think it raging around the world.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't think it raging around the world.
    Indeed. In most countries, they follow common sense and science.

Does any of you fine folks here know (and confirm my suspicions) who were the vocalists (singing, not talking) on We're Only In It For The Money, for instance Let's Make The Water Turn Black?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    Does any of you fine folks here know (and confirm my suspicions) who were the vocalists (singing, not talking) on We're Only In It For The Money, for instance Let's Make The Water Turn Black?
    Zappa himself is the main vocalist on WOIIFTM, with his voice sped up most of the time.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Zappa himself is the main vocalist on WOIIFTM, with his voice sped up most of the time.
    That's correct, thank you. To this day I don't understand why he didn't use that technic more times, the end result was AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post
    That's correct, thank you. To this day I don't understand why he didn't use that technic more times, the end result was AWESOME!
    Greggery Peccary?