Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Genesis 2021 Tour

Genesis 2021 Tour

Seems they are back at it. April seems sort of soon, but sometimes you just gotta get out there and take your chances or die trying. Hopefully everyone will stay safe and healthy.

From Phil's FB page "Phil, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford have reunited in London and started rehearsals for the forthcoming Genesis 'The Last Domino?' Tour which starts in April.The three old friends are playing together again for the first time since the Turn It On Again: The Tour in 2007. Joined by Nic Collins on drums, and long time lead guitar and bass player Daryl Stuermer, they are sounding incredible."

gen.jpg

Tony looks a bit skeptical?

Gosh darn it Sean, when I saw you were the one starting the post, I thought you'd gotten an interview. lol
    That's not a good one of Mike, Phil looks better than him, and Tony looks really good. Must be something in that British Tea.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I wish. Maybe someday....

Talk about a bunch of folks that are ‘at risk’......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No, not with the newly administered vaccine and a Jack & Coke chaser. They will be 70 somethings ready to Rock n' Roll!

I was about to write a dire warning for what lies ahead, and then I remembered that I'm a Yes fan.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't think they'll make April. Probably should reschedule for the latter part of 2021.

That is Banks looking extremely cheerful.

By God, Rutherford looks old.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Geeez, can't you just support the scene like the rest of us??!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm actually very surprised that this is still going ahead. I may be biased as we are on the verge of another lockdown here in France but April sounds over optimistic to me right now.

^^^ We are mostly in a high degree of lockdown too, deaths in the UK amounted to 367 yesterday and we are going completely in the wrong direction. Unless the vaccine is approved, manufactured, distributed and we are all safely inoculated, I can see no way that a tour will happen in April. I think they are foolish even putting such dates out there at the moment, is it money driven, to avoid repaying fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Geeez, can't you just support the scene like the rest of us??!
    I support the scene by not wishing death on the band or their fans. YMMV.

[insert Groucho waggling his cigar icon here]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

Death to false 'support the scene' Prog!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I think they are foolish even putting such dates out there at the moment, is it money driven, to avoid repaying fees?
    Admittedly I don’t know much about tour financing, but I would have thought any big tour involving Genesis members would need to be underwritten by insurers. Where would such insurance be found these days – and at what cost – when the prices for even small-scale policies, such as for holidays etc, are soaring because of Covid? Incidentally, Genesis are not alone in planning to tour. I see from the Planet Gong website that Gong’s tour is still scheduled to begin on May 3 next year.
    'There are no certain answers and no time to understand / The goal's a changing paradise, a moment out of date'

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Death to false 'support the scene' Prog!!
    well said!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Touring in the first months of 2021 seemed possible before the summer but looks very unlikely now. Still it can't do them any harm to rehearse, they probably need it.

As much as I want to trust them, I'm really worried about Phil's performance. He seems really frail and looks 10 years older than his actual age.

Philís backup singers for his recent solo tour carried a fair amount of the singing.

With some Genesis songs demanding aggressive vocals (Domino, Mama, etc.) do you think those singers will join Genesis on tour to help? I know itís a weird idea but Iím thinking of Phil trying to hit those notes on his own and unsure of the results.

^ More likely to have recorded tracks.

Is it just me or is Rutherford beginning to look like Christopher Lee?
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Phil’s backup singers for his recent solo tour carried a fair amount of the singing.

With some Genesis songs demanding aggressive vocals (Domino, Mama, etc.) do you think those singers will join Genesis on tour to help? I know it’s a weird idea but I’m thinking of Phil trying to hit those notes on his own and unsure of the results.
    These factors alone makes the "Tour" not really feasible, in my view. I mean, think of a reformed Yes tour in which Jon is no longer capable of hitting the high or strong notes so "backup" vocalists have to do the heavy work while he just sits in a chair looking frail and not really a part of the performance. It is sad to say such things, but having seen Genesis in 1976 and 1980, I can't imagine the performances without a healthy Phil stamping about the stage and really nailing the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Touring in the first months of 2021 seemed possible before the summer but looks very unlikely now. Still it can't do them any harm to rehearse, they probably need it.

As much as I want to trust them, I'm really worried about Phil's performance. He seems really frail and looks 10 years older than his actual age.
    Phil looks like he's ready for the knackers yard!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Beginning to? Hackett says he looked like him from his very first meeting with him in 1970:

‘Like coming face to face with a Martian… he sat up and greeted me, extending a long bony hand, whilst his low cultured voice and facial expressions resembled Christopher Lee.'
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I will be surprised if this does happen in April. We will be very very lucky to have a 100% effective vaccine by then and even if we did it will take a year to roll out. I also can't imagine that Phil's voice will have improved since last year. Backing singers must be on the cards I would have thought.

Unless one of them becomes critically ill and/or passes away, it'll happen. Probably not April but in due time, maybe late summer/fall 2021.

It'll be a pale shadow of what they once were, and that isn't going to matter one bit to anyone who still chooses to go. And that's totally fine. I hope it's a genuine blast for everyone who goes, and for the band themselves. Zero snark intended, that's 100% sincere.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Maybe he can do a metal album in his dotage.