Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandcamp Questions

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, the epitome of "First World Problems" is trying to figure out how to get Windows Media Player (as well as your portable listening device) to display the album cover artwork when you rip a CD onto the computer.
    mp3tag

Only 64?! I've got 167. Damn Bandcamp keeps sending an e-mail every time Henry Kaiser adds something "new" to his Bandcamp page.
    Maybe it's the same thing you're getting at but Bandcamp keeps notifying about "new" things that are not only "new", but they've previously been mentioned as "new" at least once before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe it's the same thing you're getting at but Bandcamp keeps notifying about "new" things that are not only "new", but they've previously been mentioned as "new" at least once before.
    Who do they think they are, Discogs??

mp3tag
    How's that?

No, I get e-mails saying "Oh, Henry Kaiser has added new music" or whatever. Thankfully, some of the "new" albums are things from the 80's I missed out on (like Devil In The Drain).

How's that?
    It's a pretty great piece of software, making it easy to add/modify all the possible tags on the files, and add artwork.

It's a pretty great piece of software, making it easy to add/modify all the possible tags on the files, and add artwork.
    Thanks, I'll check into that. It's really a minor thing, but I get a little OCD when it comes to having the right ablum cover (or any album cover!) displayed when I'm listening to a given album.

Thanks, I'll check into that. It's really a minor thing, but I get a little OCD when it comes to having the right ablum cover (or any album cover!) displayed when I'm listening to a given album.
    I'm the same way. It bugs me when I download some music and Windows fails to display the album cover. I've learned some tricks that may help...

1) If possible, download a pic of the album cover, put it in the music folder along with the .mp3 files. Name it "cover.jpg".
    2) In Windows explorer, got to the top level of your music library, right click on a folder which is not displaying any artwork, select "properties", go to the "customize" tab, click "Restore Default", then click OK.
    3) If you have a pic of the album cover, locate it in Windows explorer, right-click, then copy it. Open Windows media player, navigate to the desired album, right-click it, then select "Paste Album Art".

One of these three methods usually works. Sometimes I just have to wait for Windows to do its refresh operations on the music library (which takes place in the background), then retry one of the three tricks above.

re: mp3tag

So I finally downloaded teh software, and it's pretty easy. It took me a minute to figure I had to click on "save". I guess it's been awhile since I've had to that.

Anyway, the only thing was, when I entered what directory on the hard drive I wanted it to access, it said I've got over 23,000 files. I did some quick calculations that even if those were all 3 minute songs, that would be just short of 60 24 hour days of music! And of course, I've got a lot of music that isn't 3 and a half minutes long. So if I really want to tag everything with proper artwork...oh dear, this is gonna take awhile.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yesterday I figured out that the best way for me to pay for items on Bandcamp is by purchasing a Gift Certficate and paying for everything with that. When I run into the problem of wanting to skip checking an item while checking out (and thereby having the item REMOVED from my cart) it's usually because there's an item for which I only use a payment method I don't want to use at the time (some artists don't accept Amex, and sometimes I don't want to use Paypal). You can use a gift certificate for everything it seems. So yesterday I purchased a $100 gift certificate and went to town. It's also a good way to prelimit your buying, as long as you don't just buy another gift certificate!

Here's what I bought yesterday:

Mountain by Regal Worm
    Endless Way From You by The Worm Ouroboros
    05 by SCHERZOO
    Zopp by Zopp
    AMATERASU by CORIMA
    Zeuhl Jazz by Sonata Islands Kommandoh
    Platypus by Sotos
    Mathematical Mother by UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA
    Angherr Shisspa (Revisited) by Koenjihyakkei 高円寺百景
    Dai Kaht by Dai Kaht
    Tubular World - Tubular Bells by robert reed

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice selection
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hey Steve, here's a question for you, though it could apply to other labels that sell their releases on Bandcamp:

There are 4 or five Cuneiform CDs I want to buy, and I'd LIKE to buy them on Bandcamp so that I have them in my Bandcamp collection (as well as the CDs), but if I buy the CDs on Bandcamp, the shipping charges are much higher than if I ordered them from Wayside. Is there any way to buy them from Wayside, but get them added to my Bandcamp collection so that I can stream them from the Bandcamp app? I've seen artists give away codes so that people can get their albums for free on Bandcamp. Could/would Cuneiform ever do this with a CD purchase from Wayside?

I guess this is similar to when Vinyl releases include a download code, but while downloading the albums could be useful, I'm more interested in being able to stream the albums.

This Friday is another "full price to the artist" opportunity. Just a reminder for those with albums in your cart.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Got a whole bunch of stuff sitting there at the moment and checking what on my wishlist I want to add.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There are 4 or five Cuneiform CDs I want to buy, and I'd LIKE to buy them on Bandcamp so that I have them in my Bandcamp collection (as well as the CDs), but if I buy the CDs on Bandcamp, the shipping charges are much higher than if I ordered them from Wayside.
    Shipping charges should be essentially the same: $3.50 for 1st CD / $.75 for each additional CD. NO? If not let me know and I'll play with settings.

Is there any way to buy them from Wayside, but get them added to my Bandcamp collection so that I can stream them from the Bandcamp app? I've seen artists give away codes so that people can get their albums for free on Bandcamp. Could/would Cuneiform ever do this with a CD purchase from Wayside?
    Giant pain in the ass and time consuming for me. So, no.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Shipping charges should be essentially the same: $3.50 for 1st CD / $.75 for each additional CD. NO? If not let me know and I'll play with settings.
    I must have forgotten that Bandcamp groups purchases from the same label into a single transaction. I'll confirm that. Not sure now if I'll wait until Friday or not. What is Bandcamp's cut again, is it 20%?

I must have forgotten that Bandcamp groups purchases from the same label into a single transaction. I'll confirm that. Not sure now if I'll wait until Friday or not. What is Bandcamp's cut again, is it 20%?
    BandCamp's cut is dependent on what you are selling (digital vs. physical) and also how much business you have done with them.

I believe it's 10% for CDs.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Another First World Bandcamp problem. Their app only works in Portrait mode. I like to use it on my tablets, and I use my tablets in Landscape mode.

Another First World Bandcamp problem. Their app only works in Portrait mode. I like to use it on my tablets, and I use my tablets in Landscape mode.
    Damn! That's a first world problem winner!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Damn! That's a first world problem winner!
    There's no need to pile on when I'm being self-deprecating!

I noticed just yesterday they added functionality to Bandcamp so you can Cast the stream to a network device! Nice. (Look in the top, right corner of the screen.) This could already be done just by a typical Bluetooth connection, but I guess this will make it a bit easier/more intuitive for some people. Just good to see them making enhancements, because Bandcamp’s app could definitely use some work.

I would love to somehow, easily generate a list of all my Bandcamp purchases. I'd have to get it either from the Bandcamp app, website, or possibly from my Paypal account. Anyone have any good ideas?

^ Bring up your Bandcamp library, and copy & paste titles into a text file.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Bring up your Bandcamp library, and copy & paste titles into a text file.
    You're a regular Bill Gates, aren't you? I have over 1200 albums in my collection, so I need something somewhat automated.

I remember seeing a mention of some open-source utility to download an entire Bandcamp collection. Depending on how much time you wanted to spend on it, you could possibly replace the download stuff with some logic that just lists the entries.

I'd probably just do something quick and dirty like getting my whole playlist listed on the web page, copy and paste the text into a text file, and then either write a quick awk or sed script to extract the info, or even simpler, just record an emacs macro to do it--but I don't have over 1000, I have under 100.

With a collection that large, if you view your collection on the web site, at the bottom does it give you a "View all 1200 items" option, or do you repeatedly have to keep hitting a button to view more items?