Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progressive music bands with Viola featured prominently?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I can not think of any.
    The Canadian band Contrevent featured Cello and that's all I got
    How about fusion violinists like Michal Urbaniak, Jean Luc Ponty, Didier Lokwood, Jerry Goodman....

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    A viola is tuned a fifth lower than a violin
    Violin G D A E
    Viola C G D A
    Isn't there a size difference, as well?

Not that noticeable when you see them apart, but next to each other, the viola is +/- 120% of the violin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    And one octave above the cello. Violin, viola, and cello can play a lot of the same lines.
    Yes, but I definitely prefer the cello's sonics. It's much harder to make a cello sound "screechy".
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Isn't there a size difference, as well?

Not that noticeable when you see them apart, but next to each other, the viola is +/- 120% of the violin.

Yes, but I definitely prefer the cello's sonics. It's much harder to make a cello sound "screechy".
    Yes, a viola is bigger.
    The tuning is the same as that of a tenor-banjo.

Don't ask me for the tuning of a guitar though.

I'm pretty sure that Billy Currie plays viola on Vienna.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    You might be right. It was his original instrument on the music academy, according to Wikipedia.

After Crying features cello prominently.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    After Crying features cello prominently.
    They do. I'd add that I can't think of any band that does it more effectively.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Caravan and Hoelderlin are the obvious choices here. The string players from Hoelderlin (Christoph Noppeney on viola and Joachim von Grumbkow on cello) guest on a couple of tracks on Birth Control’s Plastic People album, with Nops getting a stunning viola solo on “My Mind.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Caravan and Hoelderlin are the obvious choices here. The string players from Hoelderlin (Christoph Noppeney on viola and Joachim von Grumbkow on cello) guest on a couple of tracks on Birth Control’s Plastic People album, with Nops getting a stunning viola solo on “My Mind.”
    thanks for an accurate answer

I am not asking about Violin or Cello, so all the recs of those artists are superfluous; i.e. I already knew about all of those.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    How about fusion violinists like Michal Urbaniak, Jean Luc Ponty, Didier Lokwood, Jerry Goodman....
    I know and love all those. I'm only interested in Viola for this thread, thanks
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    And then... there is Viola and violin humor

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-m...acuum-cleaner/
    Funny, but as a lover of the viola also a bit hurting.

did you know...

the Viola was Mozart's favorite instrument

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    And then... there is Viola and violin humor

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-m...acuum-cleaner/

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's much harder to make a cello sound "screechy".
    My wife seems to excel at it. 😁
    Dan Maske

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    There's occasional viola in Gentle Giant. The songs Black Cat, On Reflection and Dog's Life.
    No viola in Gentle Giant...violin & cello strings only.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    My wife seems to excel at it. ��

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I love Billy's keyboards in Ultravox. I mentioned to Steve Howe that he guested on a couple songs on one of Billy's solo albums. Steve said "Yes, and he played on one of my albums ( Turbulence )."

There’s also Don Dinovo of Lighthouse...sort of. The original line-up (with frontman Pinky Dauvin) featured a full string quartet. By the time of One Fine Morning, they were reduced two two string players: Don Dinovo (viola) and Dick Armin (cello). I say “sort of” as Dinovo commissioned a custom five-string electric “violina” for those later albums, allowing him to cover both violin and viola parts*.

I don’t quite know where to place the “baritone violin,” which is a regular violin strung with cello strings and tuned an octave lower. Jean-Luc Ponty played one on the two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums he was on (it’s all over Visions of the Emerald Beyond) and I know Urban Blitz also played one on the Doctors of Madness albums.

*To say nothing of latter-day electric violins with six strings, covering the cello range as well. Though I imagine with the smaller scale, the timbre is quite different from a cello.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    There’s also Don Dinovo of Lighthouse...sort of. The original line-up (with frontman Pinky Dauvin) featured a full string quartet. By the time of One Fine Morning, they were reduced two two string players: Don Dinovo (viola) and Dick Armin (cello). I say “sort of” as Dinovo commissioned a custom five-string electric “violina” for those later albums, allowing him to cover both violin and viola parts*.

I don’t quite know where to place the “baritone violin,” which is a regular violin strung with cello strings and tuned an octave lower. Jean-Luc Ponty played one on the two Mahavishnu Orchestra albums he was on (it’s all over Visions of the Emerald Beyond) and I know Urban Blitz also played one on the Doctors of Madness albums.

*To say nothing of latter-day electric violins with six strings, covering the cello range as well. Though I imagine with the smaller scale, the timbre is quite different from a cello.
    If we get to cellos, I think of Stadion (a Swedish band) with Sebastian Öberg (who also played with Fläsket Brinner) on cello, the group was augumented with 3 other stringplayers: Jonas Lindgren - violin, Örjan Högberg - viola and Matias Heldén - cello. The music sounds like some ELO doing punk.