Thread: Keith Jarrett has Suffered a Stroke and is not Expected to play again

Keith Jarrett has Suffered a Stroke and is not Expected to play again

This is news to me, and not happy news at all, given the release next week of the Budapest concert.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/a...gtype=Homepage
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Gosh I had no idea that he had suffered a stroke (well, two strokes), and that he can no longer play, that is terribly sad. I play his music all of the time, his genius can never be overstated.

From that interview/article he seems to be handling his situation in a very stoic manner, which is admirable for someone whose entire life has been spent performing in public. He has nothing to prove, and has created more wonderful music for the world than most people will ever know, in a completely uncompromising career. I wish him the best in finding a path through the next chapter of his life.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    his genius can never be overstated.
    The guy who calls himself "the John Coltrane of piano players" would undoubtedly agree with you.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The guy who calls himself "the John Coltrane of piano players" would undoubtedly agree with you.

Well, he's not wrong. Maybe.

Very sad news. Regarding the Coltrane comment I don't much see it. I might actually call him the Jimi Hendrix of the piano, in the sense that his body and the instrument become one when he plays, channeling some otherworldly inspiration. Of course the source of the inspiration is on a very different wavelength than it was for Hendrix.

After reading the article, it would be interesting to see what he might accomplish with the right hand only. While a limitation now, the handicap may prove to be its own source of inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Gosh I had no idea that he had suffered a stroke (well, two strokes), and that he can no longer play, that is terribly sad. I play his music all of the time, his genius can never be overstated.
    It appears from the interview as if this is the first occasion on which this news has been made public.

The Budapest Concert, slated for release at the end of this month, becomes an even more "auto" auto-buy for me now. I am not such a fan of the standards trio, but this is certainly the occasion to check out After the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    After reading the article, it would be interesting to see what he might accomplish with the right hand only. While a limitation now, the handicap may prove to be its own source of inspiration.
    That's not how Keith Emerson saw it...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm just really sorry to hear that - it makes you think about the value of your own health.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wonder if he'll somehow figure out how to work around his disability and manage to put out recordings, like Eberhard Weber has.

Listening to him now. So terribly sad. Losing your main passion in life is horrible.

Very sad indeed.

He can always: teach, compose, lecture.

After all, he did compose some pretty legitimate classical pieces throughout his career. A bit too tonal for my taste, but still very original and moving.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Eberhard Weber also suffred a stroke that took away his ability to play

This absolutely breaks my heart. I probably have more Keith Jarrett albums than any other artist in my collection, and I’ve often thought that, if I were able to possess the talent of only one keyboard player, Keith would be my choice. At this time, I’m not really able to get my head around the fact that he has quite likely recorded his last piano music - - - Damn shame.

*sigh* gotta love 2020!

This is very, very sad.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    *sigh* gotta love 2020!

This is very, very sad.
    It happened 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It happened 2 years ago.
    Yeah, but I'm hearing about it in 2020. So, for me, it adds to the painting. Not a very nice painting. 😉

Love his quote about music, truly progressive and forward thinking, truly creative.

"We also have to learn to forget music. Otherwise we become addicted to the past."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wonder if he'll somehow figure out how to work around his disability and manage to put out recordings, like Eberhard Weber has.
    Eberhard only managed two, grabbing bass solos recorded on the road with Jan Garbarek before the stroke (I was very fortunate to have interviewed him, in 2013, about his stroke - AFAIK, the first English language interview where he opened up abou his stroke).

He wrote music around the solos that he felt had potential, and released Resume in 2013, and followed it up with Encore, two years later. But he said, at the time, that he'd exhausted all recorded solos with any potential as grist for more new music, sadly. So that appears to be that.

Homage à Eberhard Weber was released the same year (2015), from a live celebration of Weber's 75th birthday, with big band arrangements of five of his compositions (four, but a fifth waa available digitally) by Norway's Helge Sunde and Libor Suma, and Mike Gibbs (who also conducted the SWR Big Band on the date)k and a thirty minute piece, "Homage," written by (and with the guitarist also performing) Pat Metheny and, like Weber's two post-stroke albums, based on recorded Weber bass solos, which Metheny included as live performances when it was played live (there a DVD of the show, where you can see this) and around which he wrote this superb, long-form tribute.

It's a great record/DVD, to be sure, and Weber was at the show, but he had no direct involvement in the album, other than being there...and, of course, the writing and playing from earlier Garbarek shows, that were the source of Homage's music.

Me? I don't expect Jarrett to actually play anything, but my hope is that he might consider returning to formal writing. Some of his '70s writing for his European and American quartets and his American trio (pre-standards), remains spectacular, and while he has argued that his solo work (and some with the standards trio) is "spontaneous composition" (and it is). But it's not the same, and I'd love to see him pick up his pen agai and write some music for a cold ruin of musicians of his choice. When I got the news of his strokes, I went back and listened to both quartets and the music really is flat-out wonderful. Nobody wrote the way he did, so it would be so great to see him returning to it.

Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by jkelman; 10-31-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

His chamber writing is wonderful, yeah. It's an avenue for sure. He has an unusual way with the formal things, i think
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    His chamber writing is wonderful, yeah. It's an avenue for sure. He has an unusual way with the formal things, i think
    Yes, but i was actually thinking more along the lines of writing for jazz groups. But you are, of course, absolutely right. I love his writing on Arbor Zena, In The Light, Luminessence and Bridge of Light.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Just got Budapest and it is gorgeous.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Don't know if this had done before: Dutch pianist Ralph van Raat will play The Köln Concerts live: https://ralphvanraat.com/event/keith...-koln-concert/

Ralph plays the transcription of the famous breakthrough piece by Keith Jarrett