Thread: Gryphon -- Get Out Of My Father's Car! Release Date Nov 25

Gryphon -- Get Out Of My Father's Car! Release Date Nov 25

Ken Golden assured me that Lasers Edge will be stocking it

Hello everyone and we hope you are keeping safe and well.
    We are very happy to announce that our new album “Get out of my Father’s car” will be released on Wednesday the 25th of November, with Front cover artwork by the wonderful John Hurford.
    If you would like to pre-order your copy of the CD – please click on the link below. This will then take you to our shop on the Burning Shed website where you can place your order.
    There will be further news regarding the release of the vinyl and download versions shortly.
    We would like to thank you all for your continued support for the band and hope we can get out to play live again in the not too distant future.
    Please share this post with anyone you think might be interested and spread the word for us.
    Thank you. Graeme, Brian, Dave, Andy, Rob and Clare.
    https://burningshed.com/store/gryphon

1. Get Out Of My Father’s Car (Graeme Taylor/Brian Gulland) 4.04
    2. A Bit of Music By Me (Andy and Gary Findon) 4.47
    3. Percy The Defective Perspective Detective (Brian Gulland) 2.30
    4. Christina’s Song (Clare Taylor/Christina Rossetti) 3.40
    5. Suite for ’68 (Andy and Gary Findon) 5.03
    6. The Brief History of a Bassoon (Graeme Taylor) 2.57
    7. Forth Sahara (Rob Levy) 3.46
    8. Krum Dancing (Graeme Taylor/Andy Findon) 5.25
    9. A Stranger Kiss (Clare Taylor) 4.19
    10. Normal Wisdom From The Swamp… (a sonic tonic) (Brian Gulland) 5.10
    11. Parting Shot (Graeme Taylor) 5.52
    Gryph.jpg

WHAT????!!!!!

IN!!

Gimme gimme!!!

(Not the greatest cover, though...)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Have loved Gryphon since discovering them in '74, but are they turning into medieval musical Monty Python act?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Have loved Gryphon since discovering them in '74, but are they turning into medieval musical Monty Python act?
    I thought their previous album, the first of the reunion, was excellent. Sure there was some humor, but there always has been.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Shed web site blurb
    2020's Get Out Of My Father's Car! is the seventh studio album from the legendary Gryphon.

Original members Graeme Taylor, Brian Gulland and Dave Oberlé are joined by virtuoso Andy Findon on clarinets, saxes and flutes, plus two new members, Rob Levy on bass guitar and Clare Taylor on violin and keyboards. All three new members have contributed compositions to Get Out Of My Father’s Car and the range of styles on the album is unprecedented in the history of this most eccentric of bands.

---------

It is almost impossible to pigeonhole Gryphon, recently reformed nearly 40 years after a very successful spell throughout the 1970s, which included extensive touring in the States and Europe with Yes, Steeleye Span and Mahavishnu Orchestra. They even appeared on BBC Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4, all in the same week!

Gryphon stunned their faithful following four decades later in 2018 when they released their sixth studio album, ReInvention, to huge acclaim. Anyone who thought this was an isolated flash of brilliance now has another think coming as we announce a further brand-new release which proves to be every bit as unfathomably innovative and exciting. Continuing to display fine humour, it defies repetition in favour of seemingly constant streams of reinvention, perhaps even surpassing its predecessor in its richness.
    I thought ReInvention was a lovely album, and I didn't mind the whimsical humour and silliness of some of the tracks at all. Will certainly get the new one.

EDIT: Andy Findon was of course on board last time. Rob Levy and Clare Taylor replace Rory McFarlane and Graham Preskett respectively, but the lineup is otherwise unchanged.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 10-20-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Reinvention is fantastic and sounds killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    WHAT????!!!!!

IN!!
    Well, yeah!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Indeed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

ReInvention was great but I thought that the sound was little bit too harsh and compressed.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    are they turning into medieval musical Monty Python act?
    I for one wouldn't really mind. Given the overall excellence of G's music, I'd have hoped for them to spice it up with some properly in-yr-ballsy polit-uncorrect-as-a-half-baked-potato minstrellian wit. Lord knows the world needs it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I must say I really enjoyed it for the first few months (on a constant rotation) but I haven't returned to it since.
    So I can't say I got a lot of mileage out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozric65 View Post
    isn't that much better this way (embedded)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    ReInvention was great but I thought that the sound was little bit too harsh and compressed.
    Mmmm!!!... Not sure I really noticed that as such, s I've unfortunately grown +/- accustomed to that, especally that it's more difficult to spot on music released that way and having no point of comparison (lilke those 90/00's remasters of 70's classic albums)

Anyways, I will relisten to Reinvention before buying their new one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mmmm!!!... Not sure I really noticed that as such, s I've unfortunately grown +/- accustomed to that, especally that it's more difficult to spot on music released that way and having no point of comparison (lilke those 90/00's remasters of 70's classic albums)
    Well the compression is not as extreme as in many other cases in recents years but for my taste the sound is too clean and too modern. I am not big advocate of retro style usually but this music could have benefitted from little more retro kind of production.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

just got the new CD and listening to it right now. as first impressions - the album sounds rich and fresh with many typical Gryphon-ish signatures, including some silly vocals . Violin is very pastoral.

But it requires repeat listening to form a full opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    isn't that much better this way (embedded)
    Yes, thanks for posting this beautiful video. Little prog left in this band, it seems, but for this sunny but very cold Christmas eve morning, what is on offer is absolutely perfect.

My first great impression of Gryphon was their first album, and Treason, which came out in 1977. I am eager to listen to the new one!

As for Get Out Of My Father's Car! by Gryphon

If you ever want to call an album brilliant this is it. It took me this long to finally get to it as quite a few months passed since I got it, yeah my backlog of CDs for listening is horrendous. But it is all so worthy and makes me sorry I have not tried it earlier. Pretty much love every part of it and certainly listening to bits and parts of it (as I did before listening to the whole album) doesn't do it justice. Can't get it out of my player now

The diversity of tracks/songs is the strongest point for me there. Starting from hilarious opening/title track, where I can hear the swinging band of 60's, with brass section, to more pastoral / instrumental follow up track with prominent oboe, flute and violin aptly named A Bit Of Music By Me. Well could go on and on but nothing will substitute listening to it for yourself. Only will point out one more stunning song there Christina's Song, a beautiful Celtic folk ballad with female vocals. And one more thing, especially if you already have the CD and it is not the Japanese release, on their bandcamp website there is the additional track Lament (bonus track on the Japanese one), that can be purchased. Clocking at 11:17 it is well worth having, although, it will require of me to burn a new copy on CD-R with this extra track included. Again listen to the whole thing for yourself:

https://gryphontrax.bandcamp.com/alb...my-fathers-car

"Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I second the above, this one survived a carpet bomb of listens as it started kicking in and I totally agree on Christina's song, just beautiful

Thanks for the review. I really enjoyed ReInvention. Don't know why I never picked up this one. Just rectified that and look forward to listening to it.

They're doing some live shows in the UK.