Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Gordon Haskell

Very sad news.
    Need to listen to some of his solo work. The two posted songs are very nice.

Pardon my late response, but Gordon's death really knocked me for a loop as it was unexpected and I thought the man was somewhat bullet proof. Silly on my part, I'm sure, but we tend to view survivors that way. I got to know Gordon a bit personally when he was recording his album Butterfly In China with producer Jon Sweet, before his big hit on the UK charts in 2001. Afterward, we kept in touch via emails up until the time he moved to Greece.

Gordon never admitted his complete feelings about his time with KC. He always said publicly that he couldn't relate to the music or lyrics of the songs that were to become the Lizard album. True, but when pushed he also admitted to feeling too shut out of the creative process. He was a good songwriter and felt that some of the songs he wrote around that time, which eventually ended up on 1971 solo album titled It Is And It Isn't, could have worked as KC material. And Gordon did appreciate Keith Tippet's jazz skills on piano, as Gordon was a jazz fan himself.

If I could offer one criticism of Gordon, which I feel hurt him, was his insistence that the public taste was too controlled by the record companies and music media. That the public could easily embrace throwback MOR type songs akin to the past crooner era of Frank Sinatra and the like, which he himself loved and tried to emulate in his later solo work.

As others have noted, he was a gracious performer and great story teller, no matter if he was playing to a packed house or just a handful of people. He was a great songwriter, regardless of genre. And he will be missed. RIP Gordon.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

R.I.P A Great Man Who needed More Respect

R.I.P Gordon Haskell He was one of my Favourite Artist. I have to say that The Music Media do Control Public Taste. When He had his hit in 2001 He was only Played by BBC Stations and a very few Commercial Stations. So many People were not able to hear his Hit 'How Wonderful You Are'. One radio Station booked him for the show and then told him not to come 1/2 an hour before the show. They couldn't Understand that he wrote a great song that the public liked so many people emailed BBC Radio 2 for the song 'How Wonderful You Are'. Politics came into play and his Former Manger from that Band David Einthoven made sure he was not number 1 because of his mega pay deal next year with his artists RW. The Same Person who also Made sure that band never paid royalties, when Band should play royalties if you contributed to.

Music Companies Did not treat him with the Respect that he deserves. Example His Album 'Butterfly in China ' (1996) has Soulful Songs Like Go Tell Sarah Unnoticed by the Media then.

I hear now that Certain big artists are doing exclusivity deals with media companies that own a range of music stations including allowing artists to go on Classical Radio stations when there song only has one 1 string piece in there album to talk about how there song relates to classic music . This not good for artists who have worked hard to get there new song on the radio when other have a monopoly.

Example Gordon Haskell Wrote a Great Song 3 Years ago Called 'More Than That' which he re recorded for his Album 'The Cat Who's Got the Cream' (2020). Hardly any Radio Stations Played it. They had it on CD sent to them earlier this year but they never even listened to it. Many Heritage Artists are being Treated badly by media.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZm...fv4PtU&index=3

He Was Great Performer especially when he got to perform with the polish philharmonic orchestra last year and 2 years previously.
    Attachment 14548

Quote Originally Posted by ksdg View Post
    R.I.P Gordon Haskell He was one of my Favourite Artist. I have to say that The Music Media do Control Public Taste. When He had his hit in 2001 He was only Played by BBC Stations and a very few Commercial Stations. So many People were not able to hear his Hit 'How Wonderful You Are'. One radio Station booked him for the show and then told him not to come 1/2 an hour before the show. They couldn't Understand that he wrote a great song that the public liked so many people emailed BBC Radio 2 for the song 'How Wonderful You Are'. Politics came into play and his Former Manger from that Band David Einthoven made sure he was not number 1 because of his mega pay deal next year with his artists RW. The Same Person who also Made sure that band never paid royalties, when Band should play royalties if you contributed to.

Music Companies Did not treat him with the Respect that he deserves. Example His Album 'Butterfly in China ' (1996) has Soulful Songs Like Go Tell Sarah Unnoticed by the Media then.

I hear now that Certain big artists are doing exclusivity deals with media companies that own a range of music stations including allowing artists to go on Classical Radio stations when there song only has one 1 string piece in there album to talk about how there song relates to classic music . This not good for artists who have worked hard to get there new song on the radio when other have a monopoly.

Example Gordon Haskell Wrote a Great Song 3 Years ago Called 'More Than That' which he re recorded for his Album 'The Cat Who's Got the Cream' (2020). Hardly any Radio Stations Played it. They had it on CD sent to them earlier this year but they never even listened to it. Many Heritage Artists are being Treated badly by media.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZm...fv4PtU&index=3

He Was Great Performer especially when he got to perform with the polish philharmonic orchestra last year and 2 years previously.
    Attachment 14548
    I appreciate your defense of our old friend, and I know about his bad experiences with Einthoven, but the music media do not control tastes as much as manipulating what gets played and how much. That's a different circumstance that burned Gordon, not the media pushing a polka tune into radio rotation and trying to tout to the public that it's the next big thing.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.