Thread: New Bandcamp Article about Zeuhl

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

New Bandcamp Article about Zeuhl

"There is No Prog, Only Zeuhl: A Guide to One of Rock’s Most Imaginative Subgenres" By Jim Allen

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/zeuhl-list

A very fine beginner's article on Zeuhl. Anyone interested but maybe somewhat wary at taking a full leap could start from this read.

Great samples too.

Alas I suppose "There is no Prog" as tagline succeeds splendidly in chasing 'em away.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

We done did discuss this article already on another Zeuhl thread guys:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ighlight=zeuhl
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Alas I suppose "There is no Prog" as tagline succeeds splendidly in chasing 'em away.
    Hammatai!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Granted I've met Zeuhl-followeres who were also "prog" fans in general, I've encountered some who indeed appeared vehemently hostile to the notion of an inherent "prog-association" with their fave domain.

There are of course folx who arrive at Zeuhl by way of "prog", but it would be interesting to know about those who'd might arrive at "prog" by way of, well (er...), y'know.

Interestingly, there have been an apparently rising number of artists/units/acts in recent years who've tread both waters and obviously attempted to blend them in some way or another, like Daï Kaht, The Knells, Shamblemaths, All Traps On Earth et al. But I guess there were ensembles doing this already in the past, such as Argentine mini-orchestra Bubu, 80s Russian band Horizont/Gorizont and several Japanese groups like Mongol, Gestalt and so on.

I'm guessing it's the usual suspect of 'protective habitus' which keeps some from jumping into the fold. Which is fundamentally sad, given the allegedly "progressive" nature of an audience bias alibi.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Granted I've met Zeuhl-followeres who were also "prog" fans in general, I've encountered some who indeed appeared vehemently hostile to the notion of an inherent "prog-association" with their fave domain.

There are of course folx who arrive at Zeuhl by way of "prog", but it would be interesting to know about those who'd might arrive at "prog" by way of, well (er...), y'know.

Interestingly, there have been an apparently rising number of artists/units/acts in recent years who've tread both waters and obviously attempted to blend them in some way or another, like Daï Kaht, The Knells, Shamblemaths, All Traps On Earth et al. But I guess there were ensembles doing this already in the past, such as Argentine mini-orchestra Bubu, 80s Russian band Horizont/Gorizont and several Japanese groups like Mongol, Gestalt and so on.

I'm guessing it's the usual suspect of 'protective habitus' which keeps some from jumping into the fold. Which is fundamentally sad, given the allegedly "progressive" nature of an audience bias alibi.
    The first NEARfest I went to was the second one with Magma, who were the final band. I had two empty seats next to me - it was a young couple who only showed up for Magma. They were too cool for Prog school!

Shamblemaths,
    The apex of current self-irony and cynical auto-reflection. Great, grand-scale music with lyrics which raise doubt towards its "artistic sincerity" although writing, performance and production is all top-notch. I suppose this apparent ambiguity is one of the reasons why this item could never have been a hit with the "community". This is like Ayreon consciously adapting Magma into a merger of mentalities from Spinal Tap and the Coen Bros. This is satirical yet also flowing with affection.

If there was anything even remotely close to an actual contemporary so-called "prog scene", folks would be all over this. Alas they aren't and would never be.

The apex of current self-irony and cynical auto-reflection. Great, grand-scale music with lyrics which raise doubt towards its "artistic sincerity" although writing, performance and production is all top-notch. I suppose this apparent ambiguity is one of the reasons why this item could never have been a hit with the "community". This is like Ayreon consciously adapting Magma into a merger of mentalities from Spinal Tap and the Coen Bros. This is satirical yet also flowing with affection.

If there was anything even remotely close to an actual contemporary so-called "prog scene", folks would be all over this. Alas they aren't and would never be.
    Very interesting insights. Especially the Ayreon/Spinal Tap/Coen Bros angle.

I really like that Shamblemaths disc myself, and one of the reasons is the satirical aspect of the lyrics. Plus, the music is great.