Thread: Avantgarde music from Iran

Avantgarde music from Iran

Hi all,
    Kinda new to this website, been a fan of Prog music all my life, Wondering what you guys think of this crazy rhythm from an Iranian avantgarde musician, Mohsen Namjoo
    https://open.spotify.com/track/0rFf0vYMEXgOm0NRgjXaMA

Music in general from that part of the world tends to be avantgarde. Not just rhythmically: in Arabic music, there are 4 quarter tones between each of our 12 tones.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I agree, in Persian music the scales are even more complicated than Arabic, This artist is known well to mix the Persian scales with western music

Buddahbreath would have been all over this but he hasn't been seen on this forum for months now. That is a shame as he had loads to say and his input was always interesting. Perhaps he will return. I hope he wasn't excommunicated by the moderators as there were some heated exchanges going on around that time (in early lockdown)
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Instrumental version

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 10-15-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In Arabic music, there are 4 quarter tones between each of our 12 tones.
    Nitpick (sorry): By definition there is only one quarter tone in between the 12 western tones. Remember that the difference between, say, C and C# is a half step. So halfway between C and C# is a quarter step. So there's only 24 quarter tones per octave.

I often perform/compose music with quarter tones, so I just want to clear that up.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Nitpick (sorry): By definition there is only one quarter tone in between the 12 western tones. Remember that the difference between, say, C and C# is a half step. So halfway between C and C# is a quarter step. So there's only 24 quarter tones per octave.

I often perform/compose music with quarter tones, so I just want to clear that up.

- Matt
    Only if one thinks in terms of half tones versus whole tones, which only exist in western 12 tone music. In Arabic music, there literally are 4 semi-tones between each of what we would call a "half tone."

BTW: even in atonal western music, the concept of whole and half steps goes out the window. Atonal music is unconstrained by diatonic key structure.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-16-2020 at 05:01 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Instrumental version

As nobody has commented on the actual music of Mohsen Namjoo yet, let me just say: this is rad. I will be investigating further.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by 127drums View Post
    Iranian avantgarde musician, Mohsen Namjoo
    Thx for posting this!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    As nobody has commented on the actual music of Mohsen Namjoo yet, let me just say: this is rad. I will be investigating further.
    Regarding his music:
    He has over 13 records and they are VASTLY different in style, they go from complete traditional Iranian to folk to folk/pop to some crazy stuff. assuming you're more into prog type of music I would recommend these songs:
    Khashm kardam
    Bad'e Vazande
    Haftat
    Toranj
    Darda

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Thx for posting this!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 127drums View Post
    Regarding his music:
    He has over 13 records and they are VASTLY different in style, they go from complete traditional Iranian to folk to folk/pop to some crazy stuff. assuming you're more into prog type of music I would recommend these songs:
    Khashm kardam
    Bad'e Vazande
    Haftat
    Toranj
    Darda
    127drums Thanks for the original post and thanks much for these suggested tunes. The youtube video for Khashm Kardam is quite a trip - reminds me of old 60s LSD influenced media but modern of course and it is a really nice tune. So are the others. An interesting artist - this Mohsen Namjoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    127drums Thanks for the original post and thanks much for these suggested tunes. The youtube video for Khashm Kardam is quite a trip - reminds me of old 60s LSD influenced media but modern of course and it is a really nice tune. So are the others. An interesting artist - this Mohsen Namjoo.
    Thanks, Glad you liked them

Banned
    ^^^
    Sounds good.

(Urban myth floating around Tehran is that if you listen carefully you can hear the Grand Ayatollah murmuring "Paul is dead", backwards).

If no one minds a brief tangent of sorts...this has been in rotation at my place for a while now and for those who enjoy this style of music (both the Iranian flavor and the overall genres), it's pretty wonderful stuff:

https://unexplainedsoundsgroup.bandc...ss-2cd-edition
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I listened to "On the thread of the tear's bow" - it's cool.