Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what happened to Progarchives?

Anyone know what happened to Progarchives?

Haven't done a thread in a long time, so probably putting it in the wrong place, but I get a connection timed out error when I go there now and it appears the web server is no longer responding. I realize the site is controversial around here, but I find it a great quick reference guide when I'm trying to remember details about a band, album, line up, etc. Just curious if anyone knows if it's gone for good or what happened to it?

Banned
    I just accessed the site with no problem. It has a history of being overloaded and it goes down occasionally. I think most PE members view it as one valuable tool when researching artists CD's.

I am not an expert on this but someone talk about PA working with a old protocol http instead of https, meaning that browser doesn't allow you to go on an insecure site. From my end, I can access the site with Microsoft Edge but not Firefox and also when I received a email from one of the members of PA. The site is still working and the administrators know the issue, but if they can resolve this, I don't know. They have installed a donation banner Saturday, maybe they need money to fix these issue.

It’s working for me okay today, but over the weekend it was quirky . As mentioned above some browsers are better than others. Sometime it would time out or the fonts would be screwy.

By removing the s in the httpswww.progarchives, you can access the site

I've used it for years with no problem. I only go there to read reviews. But I like PE much better and enjoy putting in my two cents on the forum.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Thanks guys, it was in fact the "https" that was keeping me from connecting. Removed the "s" and was able to get to the site.

I supected at first it was a glitch that came with the appearance of the donation banners appearing a bit everywhere, but M@X assured us it was not related. So iot was a coincidence.

The Donate banner is because he wants to go ad-free, BTW.

I'm trying to convince him to go to https.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They're begging for donations because the site is starved for cash. It's not so much "wanting" to go ad free as being forced to because ads simply aren't paying the bills. If we wish to see it continue, we should all throw them a buck or two.

Adding the "S" to the end of HTTP only means it's secure. That means all communication between us and them is encrypted, and can't be monitored or hijacked by a casual hacker. It's typically used in banking, online shopping and so on. Implementing a secure server would only add to the cost of running the site. At a bare minimum, one must maintain a secure "certificate" to maintain a secure site. The certificate alone is quite expensive, and only justified for e-commerce. Then throw on top of that the server infrastructure required to establish secure connections.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-16-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    If we wish to see it continue, we should all throw them a buck or two.
    I just did so. I only use the artist and album listings, and occasionally the reviews. Never the forum. I do find those other tools useful though, and wouldn't want to lose them.

I don't have problem with them either. Read several Magma-reviews, to decide what to buy next.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Read several Magma-reviews, to decide what to buy next.
    Better wheres to go for that, IMHO. Babyblaue, for instance. Or in here, for that matter.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Better wheres to go for that, IMHO. Babyblaue, for instance. Or in here, for that matter.
    By reading several reviews I get an impression of the album. In the end I try to get as much Magma as possible.
    This time I ordered Zühn Wöhl Ünsai-Live 1974

By reading several reviews I get an impression of the album. In the end I try to get as much Magma as possible.
    This time I ordered Zühn Wöhl Ünsai-Live 1974
    "Impression of the album", yeah. But this is the 'aber' about websites like this; there's no accumulative personalization of criteria or merit as concerns capacities or capabilities in individual raters. Now I agree that there are certainly some fine reviews and reviewers at PA, but they are too often outweighed by the sheer banality of ignorance which unfortunately permeats the site in terms of numerous participants who simply (and evidently) don't (care to) know their casus matter and somehow proceed unaffected after the fact is properly established.

As for 1974 and Magma, you should try Theatre du Taur, which has a bit lesser polished sonic than the official 1975 live album but still feels even more alive in that it was culled from soundboard at a smaller venue and holds one of the most amazing performances I -EVER- heard by any band. And for you as violinist; when you reach that Lockwood fiddle solo about 21 minutes in you'll know that you're in Köbah heaven.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Impression of the album", yeah. But this is the 'aber' about websites like this; there's no accumulative personalization of criteria or merit as concerns capacities or capabilities in individual raters. Now I agree that there are certainly some fine reviews and reviewers at PA, but they are too often outweighed by the sheer banality of ignorance which unfortunately permeats the site in terms of numerous participants who simply (and evidently) don't (care to) know their casus matter and somehow proceed unaffected after the fact is properly established.

As for 1974 and Magma, you should try Theatre du Taur, which has a bit lesser polished sonic than the official 1975 live album but still feels even more alive in that it was culled from soundboard at a smaller venue and holds one of the most amazing performances I -EVER- heard by any band. And for you as violinist; when you reach that Lockwood fiddle solo about 21 minutes in you'll know that you're in Köbah heaven.
    It also depends on what I can buy from Amazon and at what price. I look at reviews mostly as some kind of description. Some reviewers seem to review albums by bands, they don't really like. I'm not a violinist. I just like some violin in my prog.

I'm not a violinist.

Banned
    It also depends on what I can buy from Amazon and at what price. I look at reviews mostly as some kind of description. Some reviewers seem to review albums by bands, they don't really like. I'm not a violinist. I just like some violin in my prog.
    Agree with you (and others above) that PA is one very good source to use when perusing what albums to buy and, I too, would hate to see it fold. If the reviewer on PA or any other music forum site writes a review that overly praises the subject matter or is overly critical of the album and/or artist, one can consider those facts when weighing that reviews' value against other reviews. In other words, the beauty of these music review forums is that you can take it or leave it when it comes to whether you believe or buy into the reviewers position on any particular album.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Agree with you (and others above) that PA is one very good source to use when perusing what albums to buy and, I too, would hate to see it fold. If the reviewer on PA or any other music forum site writes a review that overly praises the subject matter or is overly critical of the album and/or artist, one can consider those facts when weighing that reviews' value against other reviews. In other words, the beauty of these music review forums is that you can take it or leave it when it comes to whether you believe or buy into the reviewers position on any particular album.
    If possible I try to listen to some stuff on YouTube.-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ProgArchives seems hosed since sometime not too long after midnight. Can anyone poke someone with a pointed stick there?

I found ioutb this morning.
    Not accessible for me either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

RIP PA
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Looks like a backend database server issue.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This is what I get today ( Sept 12, from Europe):

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/Progressive_rock_discography_includes/inc_CONNECTDB.asp, line 7

Still worked yesterday.

Hope they'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    RIP PA
    Oh NO! It's the end of my life...

It's been down for more than 14 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Looks like a backend database server issue.
    Well, I hope that I never have one of those! Sounds serious?
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org