Thread: The Great Kat / Orianthi

The Great Kat / Orianthi

Today is International Women's Day. So I figured let's see how these two players stack up against each other.

Both can shred. Orianthi I think has the bigger name recognition, & I get the impression is the more versatile player, while Kat seems all about speed.

Don't know much about either, except that Orianthi was to play on Michael Jackson's last tour and that she's on the cover of one of the guitar mags this month.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Kat seems all about speed.
    She also can double violin, and has an intentionally obnoxious persona (which Orianthi doesn't).

Orianthi is an Aussie currently located in the UK ...also in Alice Cooper's touring band !
    Don't know anything about the other chick ?

I'll take Lita Ford, Charlotte Caffey and the late Kelly Johnson over the both of them.

About The Great Kat, I seem to recall she was actually a classically trained violinist. It was seeing a Judas Priest video on TV one afternoon while she was at conservatory (I think it was the Love Bites video) that made her reinvent herself as the female Yngwie. There was a really bad review of her first album in Guitar Player way back when, the only thing I remember is that the description of the song lyrics suggested that The Great Kat was putting for a dominatrix style persona. Or something like that.

I worship The Great Kat because I don't want to die, which she told me long ago was the alternative. Besides, she plays violin better than Fred Frith and is far cuter than Holdsworth.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Orianthi, no question.
    Chad

Nori Bucci would put Orianthi into the ground.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Jennifer Baten and Jaye Foucher are both much better IMO.