Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikard Sjöblom/Chalkpie Chat & Interview

Rikard Sjöblom/Chalkpie Chat & Interview

Caught up with one of the brightest talents to emerge from the prog scene in the last twenty years for SOAL Night Live Episode #40! My co-host is a guy you know well around these parts- Frank Camiola (Chalkpie) of Frogg Cafe fame. We got some details on Big Big Train boiling down to a quartet and their plans for the future. Then, we dig into Rikard's catalog with Beardfish and Gungfly. Frank even has a game for Rikard to play....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Only an hour in, but a fun interview. Frankie's on fire. Sean, also a really nice job! I'm impressed by the diversity of musical territory covered. Also, cool to hear all the musical influences on Rikard. He's a really laid back individual. I've got a Frogg's Cafe CD in my car right now.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Oh man, this is so cool. I just started it.

Had a total blast. Rikard and Sean are cool cats and lovely people. Thx again man for having me on. I think we behaved ourselves for the most part

Finished watching this last night, and I really enjoyed it. Found myself laughing out loud more than once, it was a lot of fun. And to see our own chalkpie on there also, well that made me happy. It was nice to actually see and hear you guys chatting, after reading your posts here for the last several years. Frank, when you brought up Lamentations I realized I'd never listened to the whole thing. Went and gave it a spin from front to back, and you're right -- it's great!

This was the first SOAL Night Live interview I watched, and I went on to watch a few more today. Subscribed to the channel too. I appreciate your interviewing style, Sean. It's laid back and relaxing, and allows for the guest to talk at length when they feel inclined. I listened to your interview with Trevor Rabin, and he seemed to be having a good time just talking and really didn't seem in a hurry to leave. That's a good thing.

Frank, I liked your anecdote about drinking most of that bottle of brandy before going on stage because I can relate. When I first started playing in a band, I would have to get a buzz going before going on stage because my nerves were always shot beforehand. One time I had a little too much though, and I messed up the beginning of "Tom Sawyer" by not selecting the right keyboard patch. You really don't want to miss that big Oberheim synth bass opening on that one.

Thanks for the good words and for subbing. I really appreciate that.

This week I've got three cool ones- Guy Pratt (Pink Floyd bass since the 80s), Albert Bouchard (original Blue Oyster Cult drummer) and Steve and Fred from Glass Hammer! I will add them to the YouTube page as they happen. I'm chatting with Ray and Chris from Echolyn the following week, about their new album in the works and more. Stay tuned!

And big thanks to Frank and Rikard for a great chat with some laughs too. I'm so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Thanks for the good words and for subbing. I really appreciate that.

This week I've got three cool ones- Guy Pratt (Pink Floyd bass since the 80s), Albert Bouchard (original Blue Oyster Cult drummer) and Steve and Fred from Glass Hammer! I will add them to the YouTube page as they happen. I'm chatting with Ray and Chris from Echolyn the following week, about their new album in the works and more. Stay tuned!

And big thanks to Frank and Rikard for a great chat with some laughs too. I'm so excited!
    Very cool, man. Looking forward to those!

Rikard seems like a really down to earth guy. And I continue to be impressed by his grasp of English -- not just the language itself, but even down to certain idioms or colloquialisms.

Sean, I think during the interview you mentioned that it was Sleeping in Traffic pt 2 that was your gateway into Beardfish, is that right? That was definitely how I got into the band myself. I had picked up the first Sleeping in Traffic but didn't really get into it (I wasn't in the best headspace at the time though). For some reason the second one really blew me away upon hearing it, and then I went back to the first one and enjoyed it too. Then of course I went back to The Sane Day and their first CD.

The game was fun too. The bit about "Abigail's Questions (In An Infinite Universe)" was interesting, as I never knew what the influences were for that song. It's always been one of my faves.

Enjoying your laid back style of interviewing and looking forward to the echolyn chat and other interesting future interviews.
    Nice to see some love for Little Feat !

Yeah, Sleeping #2 was my first one. Floyd got a copy to review and thought it was up my alley, so he sent it my way and I reviewed it for the site back when we had reviews. Actually, it might still be around on the Wayback Machine site.

I listened to Traffic One with headphones on Sat night and it sounded as good as ever. Truly a desert island album for me. The new Gungfly is starting to sink in too, but I am still getting a lot of mileage out of On Her Journey and Friendship...some truly killer killer tracks to be found on those.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    Enjoying your laid back style of interviewing and looking forward to the echolyn chat and other interesting future interviews.
    Nice to see some love for Little Feat !

Thanks! I'm on a Feat bender lately. So many great tunes and what a band!

If you have yet to Subscribe to the show's page at YouTube, swing by. All the shows are there. There's about 40 of them now.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Very entertaining! So far I've enjoyed all of these interviews. Even in cases like this one, where I am ignorant of the interviewee's work, it didn't matter, you kept me watching till the end! Frank of course stole the show on this one but you two make a great team!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Very entertaining! So far I've enjoyed all of these interviews. Even in cases like this one, where I am ignorant of the interviewee's work, it didn't matter, you kept me watching till the end! Frank of course stole the show on this one but you two make a great team!

Bob
    Cheers Bob! Oh no - I didn't mean to steal anything - I might have been a little excited at points But you should absolutely check out his work, especially with BF - there's a chance you would dig some of his stuff. I believe you had a shoutout as well, if memory serves? I view you in the same light as someone like Rikard where the natural musical creativity just flows and flows, not to mention the stellar musicianship and production work. There may have even been a little nudge to get a certain Bob on the show . The 3-second guessing game would be quite interesting with some of your deep cuts on a gazillion albums.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

That was a really fun interview, thank you guys. Frank's enthusiasm was very infectious and will definitely send me back to those old Beardfish albums. I have not played Sleeping In Traffic in such a long while. I've met, or at least said hello to Rikard a couple of times in BBT settings, he is a huge talent. These interviews are a breath of fresh air

It's good to finally put a face to Chalkpie!
    I haven't watched it yet, but was wondering...Frank, what instrument do you play? I see a mention to what I assume is a band?

Ah I see Frogg Cafe and it's guitar. I'll have to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Thanks! I'm on a Feat bender lately. So many great tunes and what a band!

If you have yet to Subscribe to the show's page at YouTube, swing by. All the shows are there. There's about 40 of them now.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos
    okay,thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    It's good to finally put a face to Chalkpie!
    I haven't watched it yet, but was wondering...Frank, what instrument do you play? I see a mention to what I assume is a band?
    I play the electric empty cannellini beans can through a Marshall Stack (not plugged in). The band is a marching band of retired ex-Navy Walruses aged 93 - 126. We play Trump Rallies and Biden's back porch for a nice discount price.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I play the electric empty cannellini beans can through a Marshall Stack (not plugged in). The band is a marching band of retired ex-Navy Walruses aged 93 - 126. We play Trump Rallies and Biden's back porch for a nice discount price.
    Not plugging in the amp is a major factor in generating awesome tone that many amateur can players totally fail to understand.

Freakin' idiots.

It's FRANK! How cool is that? Nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Not plugging in the amp is a major factor in generating awesome tone that many amateur can players totally fail to understand.

Freakin' idiots.
    So true.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This is awesome.

Thx for posting that....looking forward!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was actually not familiar with Rikard's music. Watching the show and video have given me a new appreciation of this music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)