Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest "ego" in Yes?

Biggest "ego" in Yes?

Who had the biggest ego in Yes?

Was it only some? All of them?

I'm asking this only because when I was 1st formally introduced to them when I was about 15, my buddy made it a point to tell me that the band was replete with huge, clashing egos.

I never really gave their personalities much thought unless I read comments on this forum or the like. I *do* consistently hear about Steve being grumpy & my *impression* of Jon is that he's a sweet, peace-loving guy. Chris struck me as watchful & a little stoic.

Or this may all be BS.

So, based on anecdotes, what's true about all that or isn't?

And here goes pages and pages of speculation when nobody REALLY can answer that here.

Whee.....

Ha! Yeah, def'. I've been on PE long enough to know that for sure. BUT, I've also become a lot more forum-savvy since the early 00s. I run my own FB group with around 15K members & I'll delete this thread once I feel I've gotten sufficient replies.

Alan White! The guy is just, "me, me me!" It's infuriating! He basically broke up the band after Tormato with his rants. Poor Jon and Rick couldn't take it anymore. Squire and Howe just stuck with him because the were so intimidated, sensitive souls that they are. It's just like Phil Collins ruined Genesis. It's always the damn drummers!

Only Yoko Ono could ever control Alan. It was all downhill after Plastic Ono Band! A sad and lurid tale of rock and roll excess and an ego run amok!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have the biggest ego of them all.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Alan White! The guy is just, "me, me me!" It's infuriating! He basically broke up the band after Tormato with his rants. Poor Jon and Rick couldn't take it anymore. Squire and Howe just stuck with him because the were so intimidated, sensitive souls that they are. It's just like Phil Collins ruined Genesis. It's always the damn drummers!

Only Yoko Ono could ever control Alan. It was all downhill after Plastic Ono Band! A sad and lurid tale of rock and roll excess and an ego run amok!

Ramshackled is what happened when Alan took all his songs back after Steve tried to rearrange them! The nerve of the guy! Doesn't Steve know genius-level music when he hears it?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not Bruford.

The eons are closing
    The Yes Fan.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Tony O'Reilly hands down. What an arse! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The Yes Fan.
    Zing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Phil Collins

The one whose dancing wings create as weather spins out of hand.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ramshackled is what happened when Alan took all his songs back after Steve tried to rearrange them! The nerve of the guy! Doesn't Steve know genius-level music when he hears it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    And here goes pages and pages of speculation when nobody REALLY can answer that here.

Whee.....
    Too true. I alwyas liked Steve's comment, regarding an occasion in the early 70's when Yes and ELP played on the same bill, something to the effect of it was "a lot of egos all at once".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Too true. I alwyas liked Steve's comment, regarding an occasion in the early 70's when Yes and ELP played on the same bill, something to the effect of it was "a lot of egos all at once".
    Can you imagine experiencing one of those super-double billed concerts? One's head would be spinning around to this very day!!!

"Ego" being defined as: a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.

synonyms:
    self-esteem · self-importance · self-worth · self-respect · self-conceit · self-image · self-confidence · amour propre

I don't think that mere "ego's" were the issue with Yes or any other of the early Prog Rock classic bands. It really came down to how they related to others in the band once fame and fortune took hold. Did they allow it to go to their heads and thus become resentful of others to the point where they could no longer relate to the various personalities in the band? Or, were they willing to "grow" with the increasing pressures created by fame and fortune. Think of the Beatles, for instance.

Vangelis.

/thread

Billy Sherwood?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Blackmore had the biggest ego by far. Oh, sorry! Wrong band!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Blackmore had the biggest ego by far. Oh, sorry! Wrong band!
    His ego was so big it overflowed into Yes.

Buddy of mine played with Blackmore's Night. Boy, does he have some stories!

Bill

His ego was so big it overflowed into Yes.

Bill

Oh, go on, Ritchie can't get to you here...probably...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Oh, go on, Ritchie can't get to you here...probably...
    The long arm of Ritchie Blackmore knows no bounds. I wouldn't want to get my buddy in trouble, because it would be pretty clear who it was. It wasn't actually that bad, in fact Ritchie was super nice to my friend. Mostly. He's just weird and eccentric. Lot's of strange disconnects and odd situations. Not too hard to imagine if you watch a couple of his interviews.

Bill

The long arm of Ritchie Blackmore knows no bounds. I wouldn't want to get my buddy in trouble, because it would be pretty clear who it was. It wasn't actually that bad, in fact Ritchie was super nice to my friend. Mostly. He's just weird and eccentric. Lot's of strange disconnects and odd situations. Not too hard to imagine if you watch a couple of his interviews.

Bill
    That's not his arm, dude.