Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest "ego" in Yes?

GG was just using that as an example. "Not the greatest / overrated / isn't as good as Holdsworth / Emerson / Hackett / Ringo" — it's all in there, like a magician's bag of tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    GG was just using that as an example. "Not the greatest / overrated / isn't as good as Holdsworth / Emerson / Hackett / Ringo" — it's all in there, like a magician's bag of tricks.
    Man, now you're dragging Gentle Giant into this too?

You know, that remake of The Magnificent Seven* wasn't that bad.

(*Wait, do you think I mean the movie or the song by The Clash?)

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    [/B]

Or try telling a Genesis fan that Phil Collins ruined everything...?
    Or try telling a Genesis fan that Phil Collins *didn't* ruin everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    That usually results in

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I thought the question with Rush was whether or not Neil Peart was the greatest drummer ever. That's not quite the same as saying he's overrated.

FWIW, I don't think Peart was the greatest drummer ever, nor that he was overrated. He was insanely talented, and there's not many in his league IMO. But I also don't think the Beatles were the best band ever, even though they were trailblazers.
    Well everyone knows the three greatest bands ever were Queen, The Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. I mean, that's a scientifically proven fact, man. Which order you put them in is your business. (Facetious mode off)

My point was you have rabid followers in all circles who think a given band is the greatest ever, no possibility that might not be true. Or that a given member of said band was the best at his/her chosen instrument. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about Moon, Bonzo, Peart, Emerson, Wakeman, Entwistle, Howe, Hackett, Jaco, etc. It's all the same story.

And it's almost always about "virtuoso" musicians. Well, sometimes "virtuoso playing" won't get the job done. I imagine just about any half decent drummer could play that hi-hat thing Tony Williams does on side one of In A Silent Way, but it's still one of the best things I've ever heard. And laugh if you want, but I love Peter Criss' drumming on the early Kiss albums. Listen to Ladies In Waiting. See also: Slade, among many other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavis1962 View Post
    In this case I believe not only the band may have big egos, but the fans who listen to them too. In this case it sounds a bit like elitism which I hate. Everything is a matter of taste and nobody's taste is better or worse. Let's all enjoy things we want to without worrying about others.
    Agreed. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesDavis1962 View Post
    In this case I believe not only the band may have big egos, but the fans who listen to them too. In this case it sounds a bit like elitism which I hate. Everything is a matter of taste and nobody's taste is better or worse. Let's all enjoy things we want to without worrying about others.
    Yes, welcome aboard!

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    That's not his arm, dude.
    On second thought think I'll pass on those stories.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

“ok, i’m steve howe!”

YUPPETS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That usually results in

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And it's almost always about "virtuoso" musicians. Well, sometimes "virtuoso playing" won't get the job done. I imagine just about any half decent drummer could play that hi-hat thing Tony Williams does on side one of In A Silent Way, but it's still one of the best things I've ever heard. And laugh if you want, but I love Peter Criss' drumming on the early Kiss albums. Listen to Ladies In Waiting. See also: Slade, among many other examples.
    Yngwie Malmsteen's blazing fast scale and arpeggio runs are only interesting for so long. After a while, it becomes apparent he's basically playing the same solo in every song.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Yngwie Malmsteen's blazing fast scale and arpeggio runs are only interesting for so long. After a while, it becomes apparent he's basically playing the same solo in every song.
    And worse yet, he's a terrible songwriter/composer. That first Alcatrazz was the best record he ever played on, because the other guys were involved in writing the songs. When Yngwie formed Rising Force, he appointed himself sole songwriter, and well, if you've ever listened to those records, you'll know how that's gone.