Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: Biggest "ego" in Yes?

  1. #1

    Biggest "ego" in Yes?

    Who had the biggest ego in Yes?

    Was it only some? All of them?

    I'm asking this only because when I was 1st formally introduced to them when I was about 15, my buddy made it a point to tell me that the band was replete with huge, clashing egos.

    I never really gave their personalities much thought unless I read comments on this forum or the like. I *do* consistently hear about Steve being grumpy & my *impression* of Jon is that he's a sweet, peace-loving guy. Chris struck me as watchful & a little stoic.

    Or this may all be BS.

    So, based on anecdotes, what's true about all that or isn't?

  2. #2
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,945
    And here goes pages and pages of speculation when nobody REALLY can answer that here.

    Whee.....

  3. #3
    Ha! Yeah, def'. I've been on PE long enough to know that for sure. BUT, I've also become a lot more forum-savvy since the early 00s. I run my own FB group with around 15K members & I'll delete this thread once I feel I've gotten sufficient replies.

  4. #4
    Alan White! The guy is just, "me, me me!" It's infuriating! He basically broke up the band after Tormato with his rants. Poor Jon and Rick couldn't take it anymore. Squire and Howe just stuck with him because the were so intimidated, sensitive souls that they are. It's just like Phil Collins ruined Genesis. It's always the damn drummers!

    Only Yoko Ono could ever control Alan. It was all downhill after Plastic Ono Band! A sad and lurid tale of rock and roll excess and an ego run amok!


  5. #5
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,005
    I have the biggest ego of them all.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  6. #6
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Alan White! The guy is just, "me, me me!" It's infuriating! He basically broke up the band after Tormato with his rants. Poor Jon and Rick couldn't take it anymore. Squire and Howe just stuck with him because the were so intimidated, sensitive souls that they are. It's just like Phil Collins ruined Genesis. It's always the damn drummers!

    Only Yoko Ono could ever control Alan. It was all downhill after Plastic Ono Band! A sad and lurid tale of rock and roll excess and an ego run amok!

    Ramshackled is what happened when Alan took all his songs back after Steve tried to rearrange them! The nerve of the guy! Doesn't Steve know genius-level music when he hears it?

  7. #7
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,439
    Not Bruford.

  8. #8
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,257
    The Yes Fan.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  9. #9
    Tony O'Reilly hands down. What an arse! ;-)

  10. #10
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,323
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The Yes Fan.
    Zing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,383
    Phil Collins

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,896
    The one whose dancing wings create as weather spins out of hand.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ramshackled is what happened when Alan took all his songs back after Steve tried to rearrange them! The nerve of the guy! Doesn't Steve know genius-level music when he hears it?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    And here goes pages and pages of speculation when nobody REALLY can answer that here.

    Whee.....
    Too true. I alwyas liked Steve's comment, regarding an occasion in the early 70's when Yes and ELP played on the same bill, something to the effect of it was "a lot of egos all at once".

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Too true. I alwyas liked Steve's comment, regarding an occasion in the early 70's when Yes and ELP played on the same bill, something to the effect of it was "a lot of egos all at once".
    Can you imagine experiencing one of those super-double billed concerts? One's head would be spinning around to this very day!!!


    "Ego" being defined as: a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.

    synonyms:
    self-esteem · self-importance · self-worth · self-respect · self-conceit · self-image · self-confidence · amour propre


    I don't think that mere "ego's" were the issue with Yes or any other of the early Prog Rock classic bands. It really came down to how they related to others in the band once fame and fortune took hold. Did they allow it to go to their heads and thus become resentful of others to the point where they could no longer relate to the various personalities in the band? Or, were they willing to "grow" with the increasing pressures created by fame and fortune. Think of the Beatles, for instance.

  17. #17
    Vangelis.

    /thread

  18. #18
    Billy Sherwood?
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  19. #19
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,801
    Blackmore had the biggest ego by far. Oh, sorry! Wrong band!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Blackmore had the biggest ego by far. Oh, sorry! Wrong band!
    His ego was so big it overflowed into Yes.

    Buddy of mine played with Blackmore's Night. Boy, does he have some stories!

    Bill

  21. #21
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Buddy of mine played with Blackmore's Night. Boy, does he have some stories!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    His ego was so big it overflowed into Yes.

    Buddy of mine played with Blackmore's Night. Boy, does he have some stories!

    Bill

    Oh, go on, Ritchie can't get to you here...probably...

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Oh, go on, Ritchie can't get to you here...probably...
    The long arm of Ritchie Blackmore knows no bounds. I wouldn't want to get my buddy in trouble, because it would be pretty clear who it was. It wasn't actually that bad, in fact Ritchie was super nice to my friend. Mostly. He's just weird and eccentric. Lot's of strange disconnects and odd situations. Not too hard to imagine if you watch a couple of his interviews.

    Bill

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The long arm of Ritchie Blackmore knows no bounds. I wouldn't want to get my buddy in trouble, because it would be pretty clear who it was. It wasn't actually that bad, in fact Ritchie was super nice to my friend. Mostly. He's just weird and eccentric. Lot's of strange disconnects and odd situations. Not too hard to imagine if you watch a couple of his interviews.

    Bill
    That's not his arm, dude.

  25. #25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •