Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Kevin Gilbert Podcast

Official Kevin Gilbert Podcast

You Are Here - A Kevin Gilbert Podcast
    Ep.01 - Introductory Special
    Guest: Mark McCrite - markmccrite.com

This episode finds multi-instrumentalist Mark McCrite (Rocket Scientists), in conversation with KG estate archivist Wayne Perez. Tune in to hear them discuss their interactions with Kevin, methods used to record Kevin’s live shows, with samples of audio rarities as well.

You Are Here is a video podcast celebrating the life and music of Kevin Gilbert, featuring first-hand discussions and interviews with those who knew him well. Recording session insights, observances; anecdotes and remembrances; selections of never-before-heard tracks direct from the vaults — even tech talk! Whether you are still discovering the music of Kevin Gilbert, or have been a fanatic for years, you are bound to find something to love here.

KevinGilbert.com
    facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

We are pleased to share this session recording outtake from Lawnmower & Garden Studios in Pasadena, California. This 1996 clip features Nick D'Virgilio drumming to his own beat as Kevin Gilbert live engineers the drums on the mixing board.
    Watch Nick's interview on "You Are Here" Monday, October 26th!!

Episode 03
    Guest: Jay Jordan

Jay Jordan was Kevin's music instructor throughout high school. There, they formed a strong friendship that continued long after Kevin's high school days were completed. Jay shares stories and insight from Kevin's formidable years of music exploration and development, including Kevin's involvement in high school theater. This episode is packed with never-before-seen images, audio, and video that is sure to have you coming back for repeat viewings.

Episode 04
    Guest: GIRAFFE (Michael Abowd;Chris Beveridge; Stan Cotey; J. Scott Smith )

We are pleased to present a special 90 minute reunion interview celebrating the history and achievements of Giraffe. If you thought you knew the entire story, sit back and get ready for an eye-opening discussion! You will also get a preview of the upcoming Giraffe Box Set with select video clips.

Really enjoyed this ^^, thanks, G!

Yes, absolutely enjoying this series! The episode with Jay Jordan particularly resonated with me as a (former) music educator. I had, over the course of 17 years, a handful of students I would describe as "next level" in ability and drive, and those were special times. Jay sounds like he was exactly the right influence for KG at the right time, and that can make the difference between a talent blossoming and drying up due to lack of nutrients.

Gruno, is there a drop date for the Giraffe box set?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Really enjoyed this ^^, thanks, G!
    Thanks! They take an enormous amount of time with pre & post production but they are fun to do.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Yes, absolutely enjoying this series! The episode with Jay Jordan particularly resonated with me as a (former) music educator. I had, over the course of 17 years, a handful of students I would describe as "next level" in ability and drive, and those were special times. Jay sounds like he was exactly the right influence for KG at the right time, and that can make the difference between a talent blossoming and drying up due to lack of nutrients.

Gruno, is there a drop date for the Giraffe box set?
    None set in concrete. When they arrive, we put them up for sale.

Posted today:

Our manufacturer has notified us that the Giraffe box set is in it’s final stages of completion. On-sale date will be coming very soon.

The Giraffe box set consists of 2020 remasters of The Power of Suggestion and The View From Here, along with a brand new DVD, Another Image Yet. The career-spanning DVD begins with a 9-song live performance at Gold Star Cafe, and also includes both Los Angeles and Japan competition broadcasts, along with footage of Giraffe in Japan rehearsing, relaxing, and enjoying their journey. Additional video content included; full track listing below.

The Power Of Suggestion (CD; 2020 Remaster)

1. Overtures
    2. The Last Thing On Your Mind
    3. In Every Line
    4. This Warm Night
    5. Image Maker
    6. Because Of You
    7. Everything We Are
    8. New Patriots
    9. Can't Make This Love Go Away
    10. The World Just Gets Smaller
    11. Power Reprise
    12. Because Of You - 11th Hour Mix
    13. Finale

The View From Here (CD; 2020 Remaster)

1. Home
    2. Progress
    3. From Here To There
    4. All Fall Down
    5. The Way Back Home
    6. Waiting For The Rain
    7. Holding On With Both Hands
    8. I Will Survive
    9. Air Dance
    10. Welcome Home

Another Image Yet (DVD)

Live at Gold Star Cafe
    Mountain View, California
    April 28, 1988

1. Because Of You
    2. Suits Me Fine
    3. Image Maker
    4. Can’t Make This Love Go Away
    5. The Last Thing On Your Mind
    6. The World Just Gets Smaller
    7. Tired Old Man Suite
    8. This Warm Night
    9. I Go Swimming

Yamaha Soundcheck National Finals
    Universal Amphitheatre
    Los Angeles, California
    September 16, 1988

1. Band Interview
    2. This Warm Night
    3. Because Of You

At Nine with Michelle Blaine

1. Interview with Kevin Gilbert (pt.1)
    2. Because Of You
    3. Interview with Kevin Gilbert (pt.2)

Band Explosion World Final
    Fuji Television Studio
    Tokyo, Japan
    February 9-12, 1989

1. At the Grand Palace Hotel
    2. Arriving at Rehearsal
    3. Because Of You - rehearsal - February 11, 1989
    4. Post-rehearsal / Arriving at Show
    5. Because Of You - performance - February 12, 1989

“This Warm Night” Video
    1. “This Warm Night” - Official Music Video
    2. “This Warm Night” - MTV Basement Tapes with Kevin Seal

Wow! 2021 begins very good. Thanks and good luck.

**First 50 orders will receive a vintage Giraffe sticker**

Also available:

- Limited Edition Giraffe Shirt
    - Vintage Giraffe Sticker

The Giraffe box set (2CD+1DVD) offers 2020 remasters of The Power of Suggestion and The View From Here, along with a brand new career-spanning DVD: Another Image Yet. The DVD begins with a 9-song live performance at Gold Star Cafe, includes both Los Angeles and Japan competition broadcasts, and adds footage of Giraffe in Japan rehearsing, relaxing, and enjoying their journey. Additional video content included.

The box set contains a 24-page booklet featuring liner notes from all Giraffe band members (Kevin Gilbert; Michael Abowd; Chris Beveridge; Stan Cotey; J. Scott Smith), photos, memorabilia, and complete song credits.

Limited Edition Giraffe Shirt
    Once they’re gone — they’re gone! Size M-L-XL-XXL-XXXL

Vintage Giraffe Sticker
    Manufactured to promote The Power Of Suggestion in 1988, these 3” x 3” stickers were recently discovered in our storage facility, having been packed away for more than 30 years. We are offering this rare memorabilia at a very low price. Quantities are extremely limited.

Thanks, ordered box & shirt for my daughter Molly, a major KG fan just like me.

Excellent!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought both the box sets!! Shipping to Canada was reasonable ($20).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Both? Are you talking about the 3 CD Thud set, also?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Both? Are you talking about the 3 CD Thud set, also?
    Yep. Shipping was the decisive factor.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Let me now what you think of them and how long it takes to arrive.

Ordered yesterday as soon as I saw the announcement; it's already shipped and scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Really looking forward to digging into this!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Let me now what you think of them and how long it takes to arrive.
    Sure - I'll report back/when I get them and my thoughts.

I received the Giraffe Box set last week. (After sitting at a post office 100 miles away for the better part of a week! It took a couple of weeks to get to me.) I've listened to it all and watched the DVD as well. It's a fantastic package. It's so great to see Giraffe in concert. (I had seen the at least one of the competition videos before. I think from the live Thud DVD.) The t-shirts are very cool too. (I got one for myself and my son.)
    Thanks for putting this all together Gruno!

One question: The cd's have printed on them "2012 Mastering". In the above description, you refer to these as 2020 remasters? (I haven't actually a/b'd these to the older versions I have.)

I'm really enjoying these podcasts as well!

Thanks for all of this KG material.

I spoke to a good friend who was "in the know" during the production of this package. Turns out that the label art on the CD's (2012...etc.) and the cardboard sleeves (2012...etc.) are the exact same packaging as the releases back in 2012. Maybe they had leftovers for this new release? An update/expansion of notes, etc. sure would have been nice for the sleeves themselves. But I was assured that the CD's were indeed 2020 remasters.

Also...the size of the font on 2 of the inner pages of the booklet..."Giraffe/More Fun Facts About Giraffe" is so small that it requires a magnifying glass to read. Also, as noted in a post above..."The box set contains a 24-page booklet featuring liner notes...and complete song credits." But why were all the liners notes about the DVD left out of the booklet? It's all beautifully spelled out in post #8 above. But not in the booklet?

Final note: The textured cover of the box is a real nice touch. The overall package is very nice...but again I feel that corners were cut. Knowing how much of a perfectionist Kevin was I'd bet he would have offered a more elaborate package...especially for the 2 CD's. But of course...YMMV. Still...thanks for all the effort on this release.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonap View Post
    I received the Giraffe Box set last week. (After sitting at a post office 100 miles away for the better part of a week! It took a couple of weeks to get to me.) I've listened to it all and watched the DVD as well. It's a fantastic package. It's so great to see Giraffe in concert. (I had seen the at least one of the competition videos before. I think from the live Thud DVD.) The t-shirts are very cool too. (I got one for myself and my son.)
    Thanks for putting this all together Gruno!
    Thanks! Appreciated.

One question: The cd's have printed on them "2012 Mastering". In the above description, you refer to these as 2020 remasters? (I haven't actually a/b'd these to the older versions I have.)
    They are 2020 remasters. The booklet also states. It was an error that the previous date was not changed.

I'm really enjoying these podcasts as well!

Thanks for all of this KG material.
    Thanks, again!

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    I spoke to a good friend who was "in the know" during the production of this package.

Turns out that the label art on the CD's (2012...etc.) and the cardboard sleeves (2012...etc.) are the exact same packaging as the releases back in 2012. Maybe they had leftovers for this new release?
    Didn't you ask your good friend about it? There were no CD or packaging "leftovers" of the 2012 Giraffe releases.

An update/expansion of notes, etc. sure would have been nice for the sleeves themselves.
    Where would those notes come from?

But I was assured that the CD's were indeed 2020 remasters.
    They definitely are 2020 remasters.

Also...the size of the font on 2 of the inner pages of the booklet..."Giraffe/More Fun Facts About Giraffe" is so small that it requires a magnifying glass to read.
    Mileage varies. I can read them just fine. Others can read it clearly, others possibly can't. Better to have them included in the booklet than not. Let's be productive here from your complaint: how would you have presented those bio pages you're speaking of within the 24 page booklet?

Also, as noted in a post above..."The box set contains a 24-page booklet featuring liner notes...and complete song credits." But why were all the liners notes about the DVD left out of the booklet? It's all beautifully spelled out in post #8 above. But not in the booklet?
    Thanks for noting that post #8 is beautifully spelled out. That's actually very sweet of you -- that took a while to compile. There was not enough space for inclusion of DVD contents with the artwork we wanted to present.

Final note: The textured cover of the box is a real nice touch. The overall package is very nice...

Wow, thanks for the compliments!!!

but again I feel that corners were cut.
    Cut corners? Maybe ask the members of Giraffe how they feel about the box set and see if they think any corners were cut.

Here's a thought:
    How EXACTLY would you have been happy with this Giraffe box set? Not just what you complained about, but what would you have included to make you and the entire fanbase pleased? If possible, please indicate cost, time, and production processes in that breakdown. I don't have faith that you'll even reply to my post, so I hope you prove me wrong in this scenario because I truly want to see what your overall vision would be while keeping cost low but content/packaging high.

Knowing how much of a perfectionist Kevin was I'd bet he would have offered a more elaborate package...especially for the 2 CD's. But of course...YMMV.
    If Kevin were here he would be involved and able to provide insight and guidance. If Kevin were here, I am confident he would be happy with this package under the Giraffe name.

Kevin Gilbert can't tell people about his music. He can't give interviews. He can't tour. All of those things help bring in revenue to keep the music machine running. Since Kevin isn't around to do any of that in present day, all that is left is product. If product sells that means future products get... produced. The estate of Kevin Gilbert continues to move forward with releasing products for the fanbase. I'm glad they continue to move forward because their vault could have closed in 1996. I am happy fans get to experience some of this great music. The core team members that produce these Kevin Gilbert releases all knew Kevin as friends, not acquaintances. The entire team goes forward with the mantra "What would Kevin be happy with?" Colleagues, friends, family, fellow musicians of Kevin's have expressed their praise and excitement of how Kevin's catalog has been treated and their satisfaction with his legacy. While I encourage customers to voice their complaints and praises, I do hope they understand realistic expectations vs. fan service.

Let's just step aside and call this what it is, shall we? For those not playing at home, you have a colored history with me with regards to Kevin Gilbert. Your posting history here through the years, when it comes to the topic of Kevin Gilbert and how the estate handles his catalog, is often negative. Face it, the estate could deliver gold and you would say, "But that gold will tarnish!" I publicly go after your buddy (a much respected online prog vendor here at PE) whom sells unauthorized Kevin Gilbert cd's that he knowingly and deceitfully labels as 'imports' when you, he, and I know that there are no authorized Kevin Gilbert imports. Is that the reason for your continued vitriol regarding Kevin Gilbert releases? You seem to make it a point to come into these Kevin Gilbert threads here at PE to be critical and point out errors within a Kevin Gilbert cd. Would be great if you talked about the music of Kevin Gilbert here along with your complaints.

For this Giraffe box set, the entire team is beyond pleased with the outcome. All Giraffe band members have expressed that they are beyond words, at times, with the packaging and contents. The response has been great from fans.

I am absolutely positive Kevin Gilbert would be thrilled to see the end result. Period.

Still...thanks for all the effort on this release.
    Thanks!

I quit social media. Not getting that shirt is the first casualty of an otherwise excellent life choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well, a bit of a story. The package was confirmed delivered early last week to my home address. Nothing, I emailed Tommy a few times saying nothing. He offered to send a new package (book/giraffe box) with signature confirmation. I said, let's wait it could be in customs. Glad I suggested to wait!
    Arrived today!! It all looks fantastic. Will play it tonight or shortly thereafter.

My first time hearing Kevin. Thank God I liked it because I paid for both the Thud Books and Giraffe Box. My feeling is Kevin could have been a superstar.