Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Kevin Gilbert Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My feeling is Kevin could have been a superstar.
    I find it truly astounding that Toy Matinee didn't conquer the world (or at least the US) in 1990. Yeah, I know it wasn't Grunge or Hair Metal (one on it's way in, the other pretty much a spent force,) but the songs were so good, quite catchy, and very accessible. It should have been all over the radio. According to Discogs, 4 singles were released from the album, and I can't speak to the promotional push, but it looks like the label backed it pretty well. I do recall hearing "Last Plane Out" on radio or Empty V.

I've been listening to the album in my Jeep on repeat loop for the last 2 weeks without interruption. It's not my favorite album by a long shot, but for what it is, it's a near masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I quit social media. Not getting that shirt is the first casualty of an otherwise excellent life choice.
    If you're an XL and want the shirt for free, I'm happy to send you mine. It's too big on me. Shoot me a PM!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I find it truly astounding that Toy Matinee didn't conquer the world (or at least the US) in 1990. Yeah, I know it wasn't Grunge or Hair Metal (one on it's way in, the other pretty much a spent force,) but the songs were so good, quite catchy, and very accessible. It should have been all over the radio. According to Discogs, 4 singles were released from the album, and I can't speak to the promotional push, but it looks like the label backed it pretty well. I do recall hearing "Last Plane Out" on radio or Empty V.

I've been listening to the album in my Jeep on repeat loop for the last 2 weeks without interruption. It's not my favorite album by a long shot, but for what it is, it's a near masterpiece.
    Yeah, this all makes perfect sense. I can see getting a lot of mileage out of this new music. It's so damm catchy/melodic.

A total non-seqiutur, I did receive Solar Live in the mail last week. I'm surprised how guitar driven it is, like it quite a bit. Good rec.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Recording an episode of You Are Here in the coming weeks where we tackle the Toy Matinee vs. Radio campaign with some of the radio people behind the scenes who will give their analysis of what worked and the theory of what did not.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Recording an episode of You Are Here in the coming weeks where we tackle the Toy Matinee vs. Radio campaign with some of the radio people behind the scenes who will give their analysis of what worked and the theory of what did not.
    Do you know Tommy, Gruno? I was mightily impressed how he offered to send me a new package when there was a UPS confirmation to my address but I didn't see anything. Customs!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Do you know Tommy, Gruno? I was mightily impressed how he offered to send me a new package when there was a UPS confirmation to my address but I didn't see anything. Customs!
    Yes, Tommy at PopPlusOne is fantastic! He takes pride in his shipping methods and processes and does great. Tasteful guitarist, also!

Quote Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
    If you're an XL and want the shirt for free, I'm happy to send you mine. It's too big on me. Shoot me a PM!
    I would be up for taking it off your hands if Robert is not (and I am an XL btw).

I didn't know about the Box Set going on sale until the day after when all 50 of the Shirts were completely gone.

My first time hearing Kevin. Thank God I liked it because I paid for both the Thud Books and Giraffe Box. My feeling is Kevin could have been a superstar.
    This is your first time hearing Giraffe and Thud?

I just ordered the Giraffe box last night, even though I have the 2012 editions on CD already. The box looked really nice though, and I'm interested in hearing the 2020 remasters and watching the DVD. I really, really like those two Giraffe albums and I'm glad they're being made available to people again.

I still haven't heard Thud yet...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I still haven't heard Thud yet...
    Masterpiece of singer-songwriter compositions with some (prog)rock elements.

Just want to throw in my 2 cents worth of appreciation here for this box... if for no other reason then the fact that by the time I realized I needed to get the Giraffe discs, the second hand market was too far out of my budget. As soon as I saw you were working on this, I was so relieved. I'm also a sucker for any visual content too so all the better. I've watched the SJ show on the dvd three times already. The booklet is a great read too. Thanks again!

Thanks for grabbing the box!

With that said, the box set has less than 60 units for sale and I anticipate it selling out this weekend. There is also one last run of shirts available.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Masterpiece of singer-songwriter compositions with some (prog)rock elements.
    Nice. I really need to check it out.

The Giraffe box arrived in the mail today; man that was fast!

That's one show that I would be greatly interested in. Always fascinated by that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    That's one show that I would be greatly interested in. Always fascinated by that aspect.
    Agreed. After diving into the Giraffe box, I have a hard time understanding why the band got so little exposure. It sure wasn't on account of the music or the production.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The Giraffe box set is officially sold out!

Gruno, just curious...What was your relationship to Kevin when he was alive? When did you first meet him, assuming you did?

Gruno, just curious...What was your relationship to Kevin when he was alive? When did you first meet him, assuming you did?
    I met Kevin the last couple of years of his life. I was a young photographer shooting his live shows. A friendship was formed and he would invite me to hang out at other shows. Soon after, I started working with Kevin to help form his merchandise brand. The furthest we got was the prototype stage of products. He also wanted to better bridge the distance between him and his fans and I was working with Kevin and Jon Rubin on that aspect when he passed away.

got my shirt and sticker the other day!

also I noticed some mention on reddit the other day about the Video Podcasts.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Gruno.

Ditto.

Wow, that was pretty quick! I hope this leads to more folks discovering and enjoying Kevin's music.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I noticed some mention on reddit the other day about the Video Podcasts.
    The threads on reddit regarding Kevin Gilbert are often riddled with the usual inaccurate stories that have been repeated and continue to grow to various lengths. If you go by some of their accounts, Kevin was seconds away from stepping on stage, opening night fronting Genesis... at Wembley Stadium... doing the Lamb in it's entirety... for a 4-night run.... until Sheryl Crow ripped the microphone out of his bare hands... with Patrick Leonard begging him to front Toy Matinee again...

Too many points of contact in multiple social media platforms requiring too much effort to attempt to wrangle some in. I hope every type of Kevin Gilbert fan gets something useful from the video podcasts and that many understand the true history as opposed to previous inaccurate stories. These video podcasts will remain as docu-style pieces detailing the true history behind the music. Some want to give Kevin too, too much credit and loft him upon an untouchable pedestal. That is quite ok in a fandom sense, however, one should base those accolades on factual history and not fabled tales.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ditto.

Another question then, if I may...I am not at all certain about it, but my memory is telling me that Jenny Ledge was a real person, and was one of the Solid Gold Dancers. (I would guess not her real name.) Correct, or has my memory taken a wrong turn?

Looks like I slept too long on this one.

A stereo demo disc if there ever was one. Even the timing for Toy Matinee seemed right.