Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train Announce Line-up Changes - New Album

Big Big Train Announce Line-up Changes - New Album

Just received this in my email today:
    http://x1ots.mjt.lu/nl2/x1ots/58mm5....IXsG4k894i4GZk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Damm! Opening this thread cost me $50 Canadian.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yeah, this thread is going to cost me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From the forthcoming live set:

Ember
    The cancellation of the North American tour in May looms larger; If I ever do get to see BBT (seems unlikely), it will be a very different band. Dave Gregory's exit was especially significant; his style was always apparent in the band's sound.

But the band now has little income, and the non-songwriters probably virtually none. People gotta eat.

It's interesting that the new touring musicians don't include a violinist, which was heavily featured on the last several albums. What will that material now sound like live?

David Longdon posted earlier that there will be violin in the future, so I’m sure the live sound will encompass all that we are familiar with. Nonetheless it’s sad to see the departure of Rachel and Danny, coming hot on the heels of Dave Gregory, and it feels a bit like the end of a special time in their history.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn’t know Dave Gregory had left!

This is the end of an era indeed, especially with Dave Gregory's departure, although I'm not expecting big changes in the songwriting department.
    I hope to find something fresh and exciting on the next album, which I haven't really found on GT, but it might be just me.
    All the best to them and I hope they can keep the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was announced back it March. The search for a new violin player is ongoing.
    On the positive side, this means that Rikard will probably play most of the keys on the new album. David Longdon might also return to playing a wide variety of instruments, which he had mostly stopped doing on the last few releases.
    Looking back, after The Underfall Yard, the band was mostly a core trio with guest players as required, until they started incorporating the regular guests into the lineup. I guess they will now return to the previous situation, so it may not be such a big deal. Financially, it might even be more viable to keep the studio band and the live band separate, rather than making the band a massive 7 or 8 member unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My recollection is that Dave Gregory had recommended Randy McStine as his replacement (and I thought that was a done deal)...or was that only for the (at that time) up-coming tour? There is someone who posts sometimes on our board who, I am sure, knows the answer. (I'm looking at you, Mr. McStine)

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    My recollection is that Dave Gregory had recommended Randy McStine as his replacement (and I thought that was a done deal)...or was that only for the (at that time) up-coming tour? There is someone who posts sometimes on our board who, I am sure, knows the answer. (I'm looking at you, Mr. McStine)
    Yes, Randy was supposed to do the 2020 tour that got cancelled. There was no announcement that he would be further involved with the band after the tour but I think it was more or less implied if all went well.
    It seems that due to the cancellation of the tour, Randy's involvement with the band is no longer on the table.

My exclusion in 2021 is purely a financial decision that the band had to make. It's disappointing of course, but we all have to adapt to the current (and future) business, and I fully understand their necessity to keep the band as local as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RMcStine View Post
    My exclusion in 2021 is purely a financial decision that the band had to make. It's disappointing of course, but we all have to adapt to the current (and future) business, and I fully understand their necessity to keep the band as local as possible.
    Thanks for the swift reply. Followup question:
    Your wording suggests that the door might be open for inclusion in future (post 2021) versions of the band. Any chance you want to confirm or deny that? Or...does no one really know the future at this point?
    (and off-topic: any chance of a post-pandemic tour for you and marco?)

Ken

Thanks for the swift reply. Followup question:
    Your wording suggests that the door might be open for inclusion in future (post 2021) versions of the band. Any chance you want to confirm or deny that? Or...does no one really know the future at this point?
    (and off-topic: any chance of a post-pandemic tour for you and marco?)
    Ken
    Q1: Yes, the door remains open at this point in time. However, I don't expect much conversation to take place about it any time soon. As you mentioned, 2021 appears to be off the table for any BBT activity in North America, so I will resume my normal activities.

Q2: Yes. We talk often about how fun it will be if/when we can. In the meantime, we'll be making music regardless.

just pre-ordered the Empire Bluray/CD. Agree with others that this does feel a little sad now and the end of a special era for this band. What a lineup that was!!!!

Question for BBT fans: The Stone & Steel Bluray seems impossible to get anywhere. It can be had digitally from vimeo. But from looking at this it seems like it is mostly the video from their performances in the studio without live audience. It does have 4 live songs with audience. But my question, is there a live video of the entire King's Place show? Does the "A Stone's Throw from the Line" cd also exist in video format? The shows at Kings Place, London, August 2015 where this performance of Victorian Brickwork comes from? That song and specific version is one of my favorites of all time - I would think they also would have filmed the entire show! But where are the live video versions of The Underfall Yard, Hedgerow, First Rebreather to be found? That setlist is perfect and captures a band at absolute peak, imo.

We had a chat with Rikard today and he gives some details on the splits and new four piece lineup early in this interview-

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    just pre-ordered the Empire Bluray/CD. Agree with others that this does feel a little sad now and the end of a special era for this band. What a lineup that was!!!!

Question for BBT fans: The Stone & Steel Bluray seems impossible to get anywhere. It can be had digitally from vimeo. But from looking at this it seems like it is mostly the video from their performances in the studio without live audience. It does have 4 live songs with audience. But my question, is there a live video of the entire King's Place show? Does the "A Stone's Throw from the Line" cd also exist in video format? The shows at Kings Place, London, August 2015 where this performance of Victorian Brickwork comes from? That song and specific version is one of my favorites of all time - I would think they also would have filmed the entire show! But where are the live video versions of The Underfall Yard, Hedgerow, First Rebreather to be found? That setlist is perfect and captures a band at absolute peak, imo.
    Until they perform The Wide Open Sea live, I can't bring myself to purchase one of their shows.

Banned
    Phenomenal live performance as usual featuring NDV on some interesting vocal parts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

I have it but it is PAL and my iMac with my pioneer drive plays it fine. I think the band realized it was not the best to not have a region independent recording. And f@ck Sony for f@cking SACD and its Blu-ray players to not support all formats, it should all be software. I’m referring to the PS3’s lack of support for SACD, but it supports Blu-ray.

Banned

Big Big Train Announce Line-up Changes - New Album

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Did you actually read the OP before posting?

Thanks for that, just in case I had forgotten the thread title!

I received the Summers Lease Japanese only release compilation today (Burning SAhed have 500 imported copies), it's a very nice collection and as you would expect, beautifully presented.

This is all terrible news for any BBT fan. Losing Andy last year was tough but then Dave? And now Rachel and Danny...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    This is all terrible news for any BBT fan. Losing Andy last year was tough but then Dave? And now Rachel and Danny...
    It's always sad for the fans but I don't think all these departures will have the same impact.
    Andy was a founding member but his musical contributions in the years prior to his departure were virtually nil.
    Dave is the biggest blow IMO because he has a distinctive sound and was already well known before joining. I know many people discovered the band through his involvement.
    Fans became attached to Rachel and Danny over the years but they were later additions to the band and as musicians I think they can be more easily replaced. Danny could also play double bass but hasn't done so on the last couple of albums, so I doubt it will be a requirement.

What is your point? Did I read what?
    The Original Post.

Did you actually read my post which has much more info than anything in this thread before?
    Yes I did, your link has exactly the same info as the link given in this thread's first post. It's just worded slightly differently (some journalist probably needs to justify his salary).

My point is, you basically reposted the information that was the purpose of this thread. No big deal but double posts are annoying.