Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train Announce Line-up Changes - New Album

Banned
    He is so goooood

Banned
    A new “single”.

Ember
    There may be new greatness to come, but that greatness has now disappeared into the tunnel of history. You who had the good fortune to witness it in person should bless your lucky stars. I wear my "Tour That Never Was" t-shirt with sadness and regret.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    There may be new greatness to come, but that greatness has now disappeared into the tunnel of history. You who had the good fortune to witness it in person should bless your lucky stars. I wear my "Tour That Never Was" t-shirt with sadness and regret.
    There will all ways be greatness to come unless one’s perception is locked into the past for the reference of greatness., In 1969, I thought I could never have an experience like I had that year in HI and I left and moved to the coast. However, for awhile my perception which was affected by the depression of leaving there left me upon the arrival of FM and the explosion of underground and progressive music. Now after over 50 years of ups and downs, my feeling is that there will all ways be change which will be great, and change not so good. All you have to do is not block the perception of great when it happens.

According to their sig, BBT is now down to four core members.

Banned
    Just ordered Empire BD/2CD from:
    https://www.lasercd.com/

Less expensive ($31) for me in the US as compared to Amazon ($41) or Burning Shed ($37), all shipping and taxes accounted for. The Amazon price was Prime, and included free shipping.

I was hoping the new BBT would be done as a four-piece plus brass and strings.

I'm bracing for the worst.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I was hoping the new BBT would be done as a four-piece plus brass and strings.

I'm bracing for the worst.
    Apparently the new members still have a guest status at this point so their contribution will probably be less than that of the 4 full members.
    However it might be helpful to have 2 additional musicians physically present since Nick and Rikard can't travel.

Ember
    Empire is one of the best concerts-on-video I’ve seen. The 5.1 audio is an immersive mix, surrounding you with instruments rather than audience members (who are subdued in the mix). The audio detail and clarity is top-drawer. The video is intimate, with many close-ups, generally good tracking of musical focus, ideal blending of the in-show video content without obscuring the musicians, but not enough Dave Gregory. Lots of cool little details, but not a lot of frenetic cutting.

I haven’t listened to the stereo mix on CD yet, but it will get a workout on my daily walks.

The setlist has little overlap with previous BBT live product; it’s the same on video and on CD. There is no “bonus” content on the BD. To me, as the closest I’ll ever get to the band I missed in New Jersey, it was well worth the price.

Banned
    The YouTubes of the Empire songs are phenomenal sound quality for live and on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    He is so goooood
    That's excellent!

I was watching the viddy and thought to myself, "There's no way he found another dancing bass player."

I figured it was Diamant. Didn't realize it was Hansen until I watched the credits.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I haven’t received Empire yet, but I was at the gig that night and can attest to what a special occasion it was, more so now that we find it was the last gig for three key players. I’ll watch the visuals with mixed emotions.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nick DiVirgilio is moving into the BBT power vacuum left by Dave Gregory, and I’m not comfortable with it. I’m worried about to much of his IMO not-very-interesting writing and singing. I’d say “Get in there, Rikard!,” but I’d prefer he work on Gungfly. Just my two cents.

BTW, I’m pretty sure the new track Lanterna at the very beginning quotes the same old English kids’ TV show that Tiger Moth Tales quotes at the beginning of A Visit to Chigwick. Have a listen if you know the tune.

Seems they've already got another new album releasing in January, called Welcome To The Planet.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Seems they've already got another new album releasing in January, called Welcome To The Planet.
    I'd like to be able to say "Welcome To North America" if that will ever happen.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nick DiVirgilio is moving into the BBT power vacuum left by Dave Gregory.
    I miss Dave Gregory in the band. But he didn't write, didn't sing, and rarely did interviews, so I'm not sure what NDV is doing results from Dave's departure. Nick is an extrovert, solo artist, former frontman, and well-known showman. He also has a lot of fans and brings them into the BBT circle, so I expect his increasing prominence is at least in part supported by Spawnton and Longdon understanding that Nick is simply good for the band. But honestly, his songwriting and singing least represent the essential Britishness that most attracted me to the band.

I do prefer BBT music written by Spawnton more than any other of the songwriters. I have a BBT playlist consisting only of Spawnton songs that is very rewarding to listen to, which is not to say that Longdon's or Rikard's or even Nick's BBT songs are less than very listenable. I think that the band's long-distance production process most hurts during the songwriting process. It seems that too many of the songs arrive too fully-formed to be re-composed by a communal process that, IMO, might homogenize them a little, in a good way.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Banned
    I miss Dave Gregory in the band. But he didn't write, didn't sing, and rarely did interviews, so I'm not sure what NDV is doing results from Dave's departure. Nick is an extrovert, solo artist, former frontman, and well-known showman. He also has a lot of fans and brings them into the BBT circle, so I expect his increasing prominence is at least in part supported by Spawnton and Longdon understanding that Nick is simply good for the band. But honestly, his songwriting and singing least represent the essential Britishness that most attracted me to the band.

I do prefer BBT music written by Spawnton more than any other of the songwriters. I have a BBT playlist consisting only of Spawnton songs that is very rewarding to listen to, which is not to say that Longdon's or Rikard's or even Nick's BBT songs are less than very listenable. I think that the band's long-distance production process most hurts during the songwriting process. It seems that too many of the songs arrive too fully-formed to be re-composed by a communal process that, IMO, might homogenize them a little, in a good way.
    On the latest album Common Ground, NDV is making a larger impact than ever before, but he has all ways contributed to vocals and there is an YouTube where he stands with David on the stage sharing vocals. Just yesterday I saw a post on BBT’s FB page where NDV created a selfie of himself and the band, in the UK. I like this review for how it describes what NDV is doing now: https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/...-ground-review

I relate to what you're saying but am slowly coming to terms with the fact that the band is changing and that Grand Tour was probably the last album with the classic BBT sound and lineup.
    It seems to me that Common Ground is their And Then There Were Three and I wouldn't be surprised if their equivalent of Abacab was looming ahead. I think we just have to accept that they couldn't keep doing the same thing, even more so with crucial band members leaving. I'm sure we'll still have moments of brilliance but it might not be the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow. I still haven't heard Common Ground, nor digested Grand Tour (and maybe not Grimspound either). I'm always one album late with them, but it is accelerating.
    I'm glad that more band members are contributing, including the newest ones, but so far I've clearly been a Spawton fan first and foremost.

Ember
    I look forward to, and have already pre-ordered, the new album and the evolution of the band's sound. New singers, new writers, new players, it's all good.

I'm less enthusiastic about the practice of offering new songs for sale without mentioning that they will also be included in an upcoming album that's only a few months away. That's a kind of double-dipping that can sour a once-enthusiastic fan who starts to feel ill-used.

I'm less enthusiastic about the practice of offering new songs for sale without mentioning that they will also be included in an upcoming album that's only a few months away. That's a kind of double-dipping that can sour a once-enthusiastic fan who starts to feel ill-used.
    A fair point.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I look forward to, and have already pre-ordered, the new album and the evolution of the band's sound. New singers, new writers, new players, it's all good.

Buying singles rarely seems to be a good idea these days.

I think you maybe right about the band receiving more fully-formed songs than usual. I’m sure as their process reverts to normal their sound will change further.

There was absolutely no obligation to buy these digital singles, they could be listened to for free and it was obvious they'd be available on CD at some point.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    There was absolutely no obligation to buy these digital singles, they could be listened to for free and it was obvious they'd be available on CD at some point.
    I do not suggest duplicity, but rather a simple lack of openness. Personally, I listen to music often where streaming is not available or convenient, so I buy what I like and carry it on my phone. BBT is my favorite band, so I happily bought the songs, suspecting an upcoming physical release that I would also buy. But normally these days singles are "from the upcoming album."

Instead, when "The Connection Plan" was released, (quoted in Prog) "In the lead-up to our tours in 2022, we wanted to share a series of single streaming releases," explains bassist Greg Spawton. "The 'Stay Tuned' streaming series will feature newly recorded compositions, we hope listeners will enjoy them".

Nothing about an upcoming album, especially one that would release before the upcoming tour even started, and in fact a direct reference to a tour supporting the recently released "Common Ground."

So, IMO, at best muffed PR that could have been done better