Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

(mental note to myself: Apparently, I need to stop using the word "apparently").
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Using the word apparently is a sign of intelligence. I use it often myself. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    That must have been a canned response, because my recollection from the US Festival was the same thing happening and Roth telling some guy (paraphrasing) "Hey buddy, I'm gonna f*ck your girlfriend."

So classy.
    I don't mind a little raunch in my rock 'n roll. Now, if Neil Diamond or Johann Sebastian Bach told someone in their audience, "Hey buddy, I'm gonna f*ck your girlfriend", then I think there'd be some gasps from those crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Had no idea Eddie was half Indonesian until today.

To me, Eddie being married to America's sweetheart Valerie Bertinelli, bastard ;-), was just as important to me as his guitar playing back in the day. Cute couple, but I was jealous he got her over me. I was right for her. ;-)
    A & E VH were of Dutch stock as well, and Indonesia was their main colony.

Yeah, for the last four or five years, of One Day At A Time, Val was a real hearthrob, and I thought she was destined for me (eat your heart out ), though she was three years older than me. But TBH, she was not that cute (rather bland, actually) before hand (early on in the series) and TBH, I never saw a really good pictures of her post-ODAAT. I did check her out about a decade ago, and she's become some kind of an italian matron (not that there is anything wrong with that), but not to my tastes anymore. I guess she peaked during the early 80's.

I don't know how good an actress she was outside of ODAAT (not that she was ever Oscar or Globe material in there either), since I never saw her in any other TV or cinema (just checked out her career). In other words, I'm glad destiny didn't work out.

Just seen on IMDB:
    Turned down several feature film roles in the 1980s because of gratuitous nudity.
    Well, that's how you fly by a "great actress" career

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I knew that either. Apparently, back in Holland, their family took a lot of shit for being interracial. Apparently, that played a big part in them emigrating Stateside. Then when they got here, the schools were still segregated, and because Eddie and Alex didn't speak English, they were put in with the black students. Apparently, at some point, Eddie did an interview where he talked about being bullied by white kids, xenophobic types, I guess, and it was the black kids who basically stuck up for him.
    yeah, I recently read a graphic novel (Van Dongen, himself a halfblood) about how the Indonesians were really looked down upon by the so-called "Dutch elite" in the 50's & 60's. From that book, I think the state housed them generally better than other colonial countries did, but the pressures to become "good dutch people" was horrible.
    Still nowadays, you've got some Dutch elites who tell you that you should become like them - I've experienced that a bit, but I also make sure they never get down to going that aisle by purposely appearing irrecuperable in their eyes.

I remember back when they got married, you saw a lot of Eddie and Val on things like Entertainment Tonight or whatever. It really seemed like the perfect soap opera "supercouple"/Camelot/storybook marriage thing. I recall reading that Dave eventually started griping about Ed and Val "cramping my style". I guess he felt like he was being upstaged by the newlyweds in the press or whatever.

I can feel for Mr Arrogant Personnified, when seeing all of that TV glitz & glamour

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I don't mind a little raunch in my rock 'n roll. Now, if Neil Diamond or Johann Sebastian Bach told someone in their audience, "Hey buddy, I'm gonna f*ck your girlfriend", then I think there'd be some gasps from those crowds.
    Well, I can that fuckmouthe from Skid Row being easily 10 times crassier than DLR. sort of a cloning experiment going totally wrong: at least DLR was relatively funny in his arrogance.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-10-2020 at 04:51 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Had no idea Eddie was half Indonesian until today.

To me, Eddie being married to America's sweetheart Valerie Bertinelli, bastard ;-), was just as important to me as his guitar playing back in the day. Cute couple, but I was jealous he got her over me. I was right for her. ;-)

Letterman had a couple lines about him. Fans wanted him on the show more. Letterman would say we've had him on five times, and fans would say he just got a new haircut. Lol!
    Some time ago I watched a documentary on the influence of Indonesian repatriants on Dutch popular music. And through that documentary I learned Eddie an Alex were half Indonesian.

Going through my Roth era Halen CDs this weekend. I really only started buying their albums about 15-20 years ago. A barrel fun. Love that lightning fast boogie style of "I'm The One." That track sums it all up for me.

A question - who is the guy in the studio Dave is teasing during "Unchained"? The one that says, "C'mon Dave, give me a break".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A question - who is the guy in the studio Dave is teasing during "Unchained"? The one that says, "C'mon Dave, give me a break".
    It's supposed to be producer, Ted Templeman. Who knows for sure, could be anybody.

So apparently (he says, facetiously), over in the "Death as a career move" department, the first VH album and 1984 are now charting again, and the band's sales have shot up seomthing like 7000% since Tuesday. Unfortunately, this also means the CD's aren't available, at the moment (or possibly forever) on Amazon, unless you want to pay stupid amounts of money. Women And Children First is available for $95, and the boxset of all the first six albums is "temporarily out of stock". I guess I won't be plugged those holes in my VH collection after all, at least, not for awhile. I guess I'll have to settle for Youtube for the time being.

So apparently (he says, facetiously), over in the "Death as a career move" department, the first VH album and 1984 are now charting again, and the band's sales have shot up seomthing like 7000% since Tuesday. Unfortunately, this also means the CD's aren't available, at the moment (or possibly forever) on Amazon, unless you want to pay stupid amounts of money. Women And Children First is available for $95, and the boxset of all the first six albums is "temporarily out of stock". I guess I won't be plugged those holes in my VH collection after all, at least, not for awhile. I guess I'll have to settle for Youtube for the time being.
    You mean you don't already own them? The last batch of remasters happened in 2015 (before that, in 2000). There are copies on Discogs of both series. Go get 'em.

I posted this in a box set thread here a couple years back. Van Halen didn't have box sets so I constructed my own. Nothing too fancy, I just wanted something to go on the shelf instead of looking at the different CD spines.

====

To date, I've made three. I replicated Eddie Van Halen's famous striped guitars as the background. Then, gave it an "aged & weathered" treatment. I painstakingly went through the recreation process for Van Halen's early logos. Same with the 'exterminator' character used in the 1984 tour campaign.

Last edited by Gruno; 10-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's supposed to be producer, Ted Templeman. Who knows for sure, could be anybody.
    My understanding it is indeed Ted. I guess Ted and Dave had a lot of going back and forth when they were cutting the vocals.

Has anyone seen the videos that were done at the time of A Different Kind Of Truth, with Eddie, Alex, and Dave just sort of talking about the old times, the business, etc. I love the wehre Dave is talking about how he never dreamed of headlining arenas. For him, it was in small steps. At first he wanted to be "The king of Gazzarri's" (Gazzarri's was a club in LA that dated back to, I think the 50's, but it became like one of the major hard rock venues of the 70's and 80's), then after he wanted to be "The top band at teh Starwood". So Eddie chimes in with, "For us, (gestures to Alex and himself) it was 'Someday, we won't have to practice the piano anymore", and they all laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You mean you don't already own them? The last batch of remasters happened in 2015 (before that, in 2000). There are copies on Discogs of both series. Go get 'em.
    Yewah, but if I buy off Amazon I get 5% back on my Amazon Visa. I didn't know they had done a new series of remasters in 2015. The three albums I do have on CD (the first one, Diver Down and 1984) are from the 2000 series. Never followed through on getting the others.

Also, I just checked, and when you factor in shipping, the prices are a bit on the steep side. The only seller I trust on Fair Warning is shipping from France (there's actually a cheaper one shipping from the "Russian Federation" but I recall a lot of what comes out of the former USSR is pirated dren), so I'm still hesitant about pulling the trigger just now. I feel like I should wait and see what happens on Amazon.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-10-2020 at 02:37 PM.

. Van Halen didn't have box sets so I constructed my own.
    Like with all their veteran artists, apparently (dammit!), Warners did put out a boxset, probably about 10 or so years ago, of the first six albums. I mean, there's no bonus material or whatever, but it's the albums, all in one box. They did the same thing for Little Feat, ZZ Top (with the original mixes!), Ry Cooder, and I forget who all else.

I was talking to the missus last night about my VH experience and said, "I wasn't ever a big fan, but I almost bought those first two albums," to which she responded, "You should." (when we first met 25 years ago she was a bit of a hair-metal fan herself.) But then I realized because of Eddie's passing it's probably going to be hard to get your hands on any of those earlier albums for a while.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

There's apparently a motherlode of unreleased stuff Eddie has recorded. Some accounts say it was rare he wasn't in his studio. Whether this is just a big stockpile of riffs or demos of entire songs, I have no idea. And it would be really really really nice to get a live recording or three of the original lineup in the late 70s/early 80s.

Also: Gruno, those boxes are fucking awesome!

Fantastic job and commitment. Thanks for sharing.

Sadly I am enjoying and learning things about Eddie and Holland, and other stories from this death thread. Enjoy every day and smile. You never know when this ride is going to end.

There's apparently a motherlode of unreleased stuff Eddie has recorded. Some accounts say it was rare he wasn't in his studio. Whether this is just a big stockpile of riffs or demos of entire songs, I have no idea. And it would be really really really nice to get a live recording or three of the original lineup in the late 70s/early 80s.

Like with all their veteran artists, apparently (dammit!), Warners did put out a boxset, probably about 10 or so years ago, of the first six albums. I mean, there's no bonus material or whatever, but it's the albums, all in one box.
    I have that and featured it in this POST

I do not own the 2005 Forever Young Series from Japan that featured the Sammy-era remasters of 5150 and OU812 but would like to hear those.

Today (Sat. Oct. 10, 2020) my favorite VH album is Women and Children First. Eddie's foundation is the blues and boogie. It's metallic but very blues based. Brilliant guitar playing.

Eddie and Alex had that fast boogie swing shuffle thing down pat like no one else. "Hot for Teacher" is a prime example. The video is pretty hilarious, too!

I heard it was a record company exec that came into the studio and that it's Templeman saying "Come on Dave...".

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Today (Sat. Oct. 10, 2020) my favorite VH album is Women and Children First. Eddie's foundation is the blues and boogie. It's metallic but very blues based. Brilliant guitar playing.
    Most days + that is my fave.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

This video surfaced - interesting to hear Eddie jam this with a slightly larger band (and arguably better rhythm section)