Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

Listening to A Different Kind of Truth this morning. VH is fire with DLR. It's not a great VH album but there are at least 3-4 tracks that are pure, classic Van Halen. I know they're re-worked, old songs and that's what's cool imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Listening to A Different Kind of Truth this morning. VH is fire with DLR. It's not a great VH album but there are at least 3-4 tracks that are pure, classic Van Halen. I know they're re-worked, old songs and that's what's cool imo.
    Wolf wanted the album to have no ballads, no soft tunes. In a tweet, he said he lobbied hard to make "She's the Woman" the lead single/video, but that didn't happen.

^ The single should have been either of these: As Is, Bullet Head, or Chinatown.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Wolf wanted the album to have no ballads, no soft tunes. In a tweet, he said he lobbied hard to make "She's the Woman" the lead single/video, but that didn't happen.
    I think that would have been the smarter move.

Listening to the remastered Van Halen demos from 1977. I have a downloaded version I got about ten or twelve years ago but I'm listening to disc 1 on YT. Loving this shit.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It seems like WVH was a big enough factor in driving both the reunion between his dad and DLR and and the album they did that neither would have happened without him in the mix.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It seems like WVH was a big enough factor in driving both the reunion between his dad and DLR and and the album they did that neither would have happened without him in the mix.
    Yuuup!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    ADKOT is a pretty solid album. Just remove "Tattoo". Terrible song. "She's the Woman" would have been the perfect album opener.
    Chad

Not really into watching other musicians pay tribute to EVH. This one was an exception:

I know that some of you may think that I'm doing a lame parody of this song or poking fun at Eddy... But no, actually I'm heartbroken because one of my guitar idols is dead. I did this because nobody else would do it on this instrument and I think that it's somewhat a breakthrough to play this piece on the Stylophone. I know that the last parts are a bit sloppy but seriously it couldn't be done better... So, sorry for some mistakes here and there, have fun watching my tribute to one of the greatest guitar players on the planet.

Ps, I know that it's probably one of the weirdest tributes to a guitar master but what can I do?

It's cut into three parts because I had to tune the Stylophones differently for every part of this solo.

That was a trip.

What the?!

Steve Perry: "Eddie Van Halen Approached Me After David Lee Roth Left Van Halen"

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...die-van-halen/

The eons are closing
    Patty Smyth also mentioned that Eddie asked her to join VH too . That would have been cool to hear - especially given trax like Dreams etc

https://www.vhnd.com/2020/07/26/patt...oin-van-halen/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Keep in mind Eddie was distraught and boozing and other stuff during this era of offers to others for the lead singer position. If you recall, there was also discussion of an album with multiple lead singers guesting throughout.

I knew about Smyth but not Perry. The singer Ed should have checked out after Sammy left is Jeff Scott Soto (who was so wrong for Journey, but would've been perfect for VH).

I knew about Smyth but not Perry. The singer Ed should have checked out after Sammy left is Jeff Scott Soto (who was so wrong for Journey, but would've been perfect for VH).
    I have heard the Perry story before somewhere. Soto would have been a great fit. I just saw him with Sons Of Apollo before COVID hit and he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Keep in mind Eddie was distraught and boozing and other stuff during this era of offers to others for the lead singer position. If you recall, there was also discussion of an album with multiple lead singers guesting throughout.
    That is exactly what the final posthumous Ronnie Montrose album, titled 10x10, turned out to be: ten different vocalists on ten songs.

Go figure.

That is exactly what the final posthumous Ronnie Montrose album, titled 10x10, turned out to be: ten different vocalists on ten songs.

Go figure.
    Slash did an album like that a few years ago too that was really good. Every track had a different vocalist.

I remember MTV doing a special on Van Halen during the 5150 tour, where either Al or Ed mentioned the "multiple singers" thing. I remember him mentioning Pete Townshend and Dr. Brian May, I think (of course, Brian and Eddie had played together on the Star Fleet Project EP).

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Slash did an album like that a few years ago too that was really good. Every track had a different vocalist.
    Really dig that album.

Daryl Hall was also considered.
    Chad

I like Daryl, but

I like Daryl, but
    Totally agree. Not a good fit. FWIW, I love "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)". Always have.
    Chad

An excellent long read in Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ibute-1081034/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not really into watching other musicians pay tribute to EVH. This one was an exception:

Thanks for that. Never heard of a Stylophone before seeing this. Huh, learn something new everyday, eh?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000