Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Music Player

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Portable Music Player

Looking for help, I'm looking for a replacement from my 160GB iPod Classic as I need more storage space and its starting to get twitchy. Critical item for me is being able to store 2,000 albums so I think that's at least 256 GB. Top candidates I think are:-

iPod Touch 256 GB
    Walkman NW-A55 with an SD Card

Any other alternatives?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Looking for help, I'm looking for a replacement from my 160GB iPod Classic as I need more storage space and its starting to get twitchy. Critical item for me is being able to store 2,000 albums so I think that's at least 256 GB. Top candidates I think are:-

iPod Touch 256 GB

Any other alternatives?
    Depending on your pocket depth Ian, anything by FiiO is excellent
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'm probably looking to spend up to $600
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

sorry...it's still 1979 here.

I guess that will hold 2000 albums, ..... , one ... at ... a ... time
    Ian

iPod Touch 256 GB
    Between the two of them I would recommend the Walkman, which is what I'm using now. And I was a die-hard iPod guy until my Classic went for a bus ride without me--if Apple still made them I would have bought another in a heartbeat. The Touch is a terrific device but it's really overqualified for use as a music player only. In particular, I prefer a player with external transport controls, so I can make adjustments while on the go without having to stop and look at a screen.
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

Your phone is not an option?

Linus Tech Tips covered a few back in August. The first one is skippable.
    https://youtu.be/jQwgKiE_63g

The Astell&Kern SR25 is a bit above your spending limit, but AudioPhile lite FTW.
    https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/cont...&gcode=SC36040

The Cowon Plenue R2 is just below your limit and comes with 128gb internal and up to 256 sd card ( for 384 total )
    http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_w...uct_page_1.php
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I really don't like using the battery up on my phone and I've always like a separate player
    Ian

Ian, I have the Walkman NW-A40 with a 256gb sd card.

It's small & light - I've tucked it into a little inorlo case, which makes me feel a bit more comfortable about its safety.

The interface is fine - either buttons down the side for controlling playback, or touchscreen for playback & everything else.

If you're used to the touchscreens on large smartphones, the NW-A40 will feel a wee bit cramped. Also, battery life isn't brilliant - maybe around 10-12 hours continuous playback, without using the Bluetooth.

Other than these very minor quibbles - this, for me, does more or less everything that my old 160gb iPod did - &, like you, I bought it precisely to replace that old workhouse, & because I wanted to steer myself away from living continually on my phone.

I have a Sony Walkman, NW-A45, and it's great. I have a 400 gig memory card in it, though I've heard it can take as much as a 1 terabyte card. That gets the job done real well.

Ian

I really don't like using the battery up on my phone and I've always like a separate player
    If you're not using the screen, the audio player doesn't use too much battery on your phone. I have a Samsung S7 with 200GB SD Card and I can easily play music continuously (with ear buds) for at least 16 hours. The SD card is externally removable, so I can swap cards if I exceed the 200 GB capacity. So maybe buy and old phone, dirt cheap, and use it solely as your MP3 player?

How about looking at the OnePlus phones. Tons of room and a really great phone and camera with awesome battery life and about half the price of Samsung or Apple phones..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I've been using the Sony NWZ-A17 for years now and it has been excellent. Hi-res audio files on a 64 gig memory with additional SD card slot. I've got weeks' worth of listening on there and the sound quality is excellent. It's a tiny little thing that weighs 2 ounces. Doesn't have a million bells and whistles, it's just a dedicated music player.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/wal...etails_default

... this particular model is probably obsolete now, but whatever the current one is, I'd think it is just as recommendable.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    How about looking at the OnePlus phones. Tons of room and a really great phone and camera with awesome battery life and about half the price of Samsung or Apple phones..
    I have been using OnePlus phones since the og OP1. The wife amd I use 6t each now and its a great device.

That said - those iPod classiks look sooper sweet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    If you're not using the screen, the audio player doesn't use too much battery on your phone. I have a Samsung S7 with 200GB SD Card and I can easily play music continuously (with ear buds) for at least 16 hours. The SD card is externally removable, so I can swap cards if I exceed the 200 GB capacity. So maybe buy and old phone, dirt cheap, and use it solely as your MP3 player?
    Likewise I have had no problems listening to music all day on my phone without need for recharge.
    I don't use social media on the phone, so that probably makes me an outlier on the battery life stuff
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Ok luddite question - My phone cuts off the music when its playing when it doesn't have the screen on and i've just got it playing music. I can't find anything in settings to fix it. I have a Galaxy S8.
    Ian

That's an interesting possibility. Get a lower-priced phone, don't get a SIM card, and use it as a small tablet/music player. I'm thinking about doing that with my wife's old phone if I can convince her that giving it to her 83 year old friend would just end up having her (or far more likely, me) spend countless hours fruitlessly trying to help her figure out how to use it, since she's never used a smartphone or computer.

Ok luddite question - My phone cuts off the music when its playing when it doesn't have the screen on and i've just got it playing music. I can't find anything in settings to fix it. I have a Galaxy S8.
    I don't remember having to set anything special, but you could check Settings > Device Care > Battery > Allow Background Activity and make sure that's On. At least that's what I have set, and it acts like you'd expect.

Ember
    I'm very happy with my 2-year old OnePlus 6, but I somewhat regret buying a phone without expandable storage. I keep 80 or 90GB of music on my phone, and you'd think that would be enough, but when it's your primary portable music player it really isn't. I find myself regularly agonizing over what to delete to make room for new acquisitions. If I bought another OnePlus I'd get 256GB, of course, but I might still wish for an SD slot.

I do prefer using my phone for music, because I also listen to podcasts, audiobooks, and other content that sometimes requires an Internet connection. My OnePlus is subscribed to Tracfone, so I only pay about $9/month for cellular service, plus an occasional $10 for 1GB of data.

What app are you using to play the music? I'm assuming the phone is running Android?

I'm really inexperienced with Android, but it may depend on the app being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't remember having to set anything special, but you could check Settings > Device Care > Battery > Allow Background Activity and make sure that's On. At least that's what I have set, and it acts like you'd expect.
    Yeah, done that, I'm playing using Samsung Music, and it has a setting Music while screen off but that doesn't seem to help.
    Ian

Yeah, done that, I'm playing using Samsung Music, and it has a setting Music while screen off but that doesn't seem to help.
    Try Poweramp, there is a free trial version. https://powerampapp.com/ unlocker costs less than 10.
    Lite on the battery, good bluetooth support. Decent library management, etc.
    Shows up as sort of a single press 'screensaver/wall paper' with play/pause/skip controls as well as album art.
    -- Aristotle

I use the Rocket Player app mostly because it is a little more random than most when shuffling tracks. I hate it when shuffle keeps bringing up the same songs over and over and completely misses others.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Try Poweramp, there is a free trial version. https://powerampapp.com/ unlocker costs less than 10.
    Lite on the battery, good bluetooth support. Decent library management, etc.
    Shows up as sort of a single press 'screensaver/wall paper' with play/pause/skip controls as well as album art.
    Yeah, Poweramp. Definitely Poweramp.