Thread: New Rob Halford Autobiography

New Rob Halford Autobiography

Curious if anyone else out there got this. So far I am really enjoying it (I am about 1/3 of the way through). He writes in an upbeat positive style and so far it is a very fast read. I read KK Downing's book a few years ago and it is interesting to get different perspectives on some of the same stories. Anyway......the book is good for anyone into Priest.

Nope. But I'll share my Rob Halford story. I am a huge Priest fan, and 80s metalhead at heart. I was working for a guy who owned a gas station, an x-rated video store, and was a promoter of a huge local county music event every year. He decided to get into the music tour bus business. I believe he ended up owning/leasing multiple busses, and actually drove one of them, ferrying around Lauri Anderson before I moved on.
    He knew I was driving out to the Capital Center to go see my favorite band Judas Priest. For some reason, he and his wife were taking their tour bus there, too, and he wanted to use my Z28 to go out to dinner for several hours. He gave me keys to the bus, and a backstage pass for Priest.
    I talked extensively to drummer Dave Holland at the time. Glenn left early with the flu, and the ladies were all gathered around K.K.. Talked to a guy years later when they were touring with Ripper Owens, who said Priest's first U.S. tour in the later 70s, said he brought his girlfriend, who K.K. nailed in the dressing room, and he left her at the venue.
    Well, I finally got to talk to Rob, The Metal God himself.I had only seen him on stage, videos and heard the albums for countless hours. I was a young, good looking guy, 18-19 with long dark hair, all dressed in leather. I had little problem picking up women back then. I knew immediately as soon as I started talking to Rob that he was gay. I did not care whatsoever, but there was the intial shock that the Metal God was a gay man. We talked for a bit and he did ask me if I wanted to go back to the hotel? I told him, "Sorry, I don't roll that way." I felt bad for the man. Here's a guy, singing in a metal band, probably the biggest at that time period, where his fans are around 99% straight males.

So told some friends later, and they were like "No way! Not The Metal God, he can't be gay! 15-20 years later, they told me I was right after all. Rob is still the best screamer/singer in rock today.
    Last edited by luvyesmusic; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:59 PM.

( Duplicate post. Sorry. )

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Nope. But I'll share my Rob Halford story. I am a huge Priest fan, and 80s metalhead at heart. I was working for a guy who owned a gas station, an x-rated video store, and was a promoter of a huge local county music event every year. He decided to get into the music tour bus business. I believe he ended up owning/leasing multiple busses, and actually drove one of them, ferrying around Lauri Anderson before I moved on.
    He knew I was driving out to the Capital Center to go see my favorite band Judas Priest. For some reason, he and his wife were taking their tour bus there, too, and he wanted to use my Z28 to go out to dinner for several hours. He gave me keys to the bus, and a backstage pass for Priest.
    I talked extensively to drummer Dave Holland at the time. Glenn left early with the flu, and the ladies were all gathered around K.K.. Talked to a guy years later when they were touring with Ripper Owens, who said Priest's first U.S. tour in the later 70s, said he brought his girlfriend, who K.K. nailed in the dressing room, and he left her at the venue.
    Well, I finally got to talk to Rob, The Metal God himself.I had only seen him on stage, videos and heard the albums for countless hours. I was a young, good looking guy, 18-19 with long dark hair, all dressed in leather. I had little problem picking up women back then. I knew immediately as soon as I started talking to Rob that he was gay. I did not care whatsoever, but there was the intial shock that the Metal God was a gay man. We talked for a bit and he did ask me if I wanted to go back to the hotel? I told him, "Sorry, I don't roll that way." I felt bad for the man. Here's a guy, singing in a metal band, probably the biggest at that time period, where his fans are around 99% straight males.

So told some friends later, and they were like "No way! Not The Metal God, he can't be gay! 15-20 years later, they told me I was right after all. Rob is still the best screamer/singer in rock today.
    At the point where I am at in the book he talks quite a bit about being pretty lonely on the road. He was still in the closet then, and while the rest of the band were nailing groupies on a regular basis he had to be very careful. Although, the majority of Priest fans were male, he also knew that most of them were straight and if he came on to any of them it could be a disaster from a publicity standpoint. He also could not go to gay bars in towns that they travelled to for the same reason. The only places he felt comfortable gowing to more lower key gay clubs were in big cities like New York.