Thread: New Geoff Downes Interview

New Geoff Downes Interview

Had a chat with Geoff today....

We discuss his years with Yes including a look at the making of albums like Drama, Fly From Here, FFH Return Trip and Heaven and Earth. The current Yes album in the works is covered a bit towards the end too. They are swapping demos back and forth for it. It's still in the early stages so there isn't much to share about it yet. Also, we chat about the evolution of keyboards and synths and his use of many of them. His time with Trevor Horn in the Buggles comes up including the genesis of the 80s defining hit, "Video Killed The Radio Star" and where the band's name came from too. Geoff looks back on his favorite Yes songs to play on stage and memories of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame evening. We take a brief look at Asia too.
    Last edited by Sean; 10-02-2020 at 12:39 AM.

The Enemy God
    Great work , your interview style is unobtrusive and so refreshing.

Looking forward to watching this, many thanks Sean.

Thanks, I love the relaxed, respectful atmosphere of these interviews, and your unobtrusive style is indeed very welcome, especially these days.

Great interview.. in fact all the ones I've seen you've done have been top shelf.. too many times you see the same questions being asked of these artist and I'm sure it gets boring for them to repeat their answers..

Another great interview! Love the deep dives into Drama and Fly From Here; those are two of my favorite Yes releases, so it was nice to hear some of the details behind them.

Just listened. The only thing I think you missed, Sean, was at the end where Geoff says the foundation of any good Yes recording is putting together a solid bass and drums track (which I agree with.) To that end: what is Alan's current status, and will Jay be recording with them?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Just listened. The only thing I think you missed, Sean, was at the end where Geoff says the foundation of any good Yes recording is putting together a solid bass and drums track (which I agree with.) To that end: what is Alan's current status, and will Jay be recording with them?
    I asked that same question over at Yesfans.. Crickets..

Good interview. Really enjoyed it....

Another great artist interview! I'm glad to see Geoff participating so people can see just how cool he is. Such a nice down to Earth guy.

I certainly enjoyed watching and listening to both you and Geoff, Sean. Great interview. Geoff's not only a fantastic musician and producer, but he has been more than generous giving extensive interviews over the years, compared to most. Good guy who appreciates his fans, heck, he remembered my name backstage last show and I took like a seven month semi-self imposed break from twitter/may be on a six month ban now for merely speaking the rightful truth ;-), so had done no social media during that time.

What I also appreciate about Geoff is just how supportive he is of all musicians who happen to be his fans. He asks questions on what folks are doing or up to. That means alot, too.

His layering of sounds and chordwork is what first drew him and his music to me. Always up on the latest technology and sounds as well. I know he spent hours listening to YES keyboard parts from live shows he got from a friend of mine to not only replicate them, but in many cases, make them sound better/his own. Yes, we all could certainly use a YES fix right now. The Relayer Tour for this 55 year old is still a tease at this point, still, but soon, I can hope. It certainly has been a great pleasure hearing some of my favorite music performed live, that I thought I had missed out on. Geoff, Billy, Jon, Jay and all my fellow YESfans have added more joy than I can possibly describe to anyone who isn't a YESfan.

It was kind of glossed over, Sean, but it sounded like Geoff and Chris Braide have another Downes Braide Association album wrapped up. Can't wait! Still can't find a copy of Pictures of You . Geoff? Chris briefly put out a video of one of his newest songs at the time out to share but it was only put out there for a short time. Hope it's on the new DBA album.
    Last edited by luvyesmusic; 10-03-2020 at 04:38 PM.

I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing this interview. Geoff Downes was gracious to spend so much time sharing his thoughts and stories. Interesting that both of you noted Wakeman's lack of use of the heavy hammond/leslie sound. I always thought that Wakeman's playing would have been even greater if he had mixed up the counds a bit more and put a bit more of a rock sound into his mix.
    Geoff did a lot of coughing during this discussion, I hope is is taking care of himself. I also was hoping for some details on Alan White's status, hopefully we'll learn something at some point.
    Interesting that Geoff was very aware of how poorly the sessions went with RTB in the 70's - I wonder if Geoff has any insight as to why they wanted to work with RTB for Heaven and Earth.
    There was a lot of computer keyboard noise which could be heard during the conversation. Was there another person in the room with either man? Someone was typing away there.

I think Geoff had a water bottle we was messing with the top of. That's probably what you heard. Thanks for checking it out, everyone!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Excellent interview!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

GD is sporting his buggles goggles

Too bad Sean didn't ask him about Yuppets

Maybe next time.

"Don't mention the war!"
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

Great interview!

Thanks for checking it out!

By the way, please subscribe to my YouTube page (if any of you have yet to) to keep up to date on all the shows I do. There's 35 there so far....

https://www.youtube.com/c/SOALNightLive/videos

Coming up this week... Trey Gunn, Guy Pratt and Rikard Sjöblom.

Another excellent interview, thanks!

I think Geoff never gets enough credit or appreciation for his keyboard playing.
    On a lot of the Asia material he has a way of playing without being grandoise and lets the ensemble play as a group. He also has a terrific ability to write memorable hooks, as well as finding the perfect textures that take the song up a notch. I think some of his keyboard hooks/solos are forever burned into the minds of 80's lovers everywhere. lol
    But while this seems to be true with original material, I don't think he's brought that magic to the Yes material, and I say this as a big fan of his.

We recently watched the Yes concert Live at the House of Blues, and I loved how Igor played in that show, his keyboard sounds and technique are awesome, so it is possible to bring that to the Yes table in my opinion, why Geoff doesn't, I don't know(of course only my opinion here).

I've yet to watch whole interview Sean, but try to grab time and watch in segments. I have trouble sitting through a half hour of television viewing without getting up and reboot. lol

Going to subscribe as soon as I post this..keep up the good work, how about an interview with the good folks at District 97?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! That might be a possibility!