Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88

Thread: Brand X Lineup Changes

  1. #51
    Kenny Grohowski is a phenomenal drummer. I saw BX back in the 70's and many times in the last few years, including the live recording in Lancaster.
    It is sad to see this break up this way, have always been a huge fan. Tobias Ralph is a phenom in his own right, but I agree its hard to imagine Brand X without Percy Jones. Am I reading this wrong or is John just pissed Kenny and Percy did that live virtual concert for MoonJune? How silly is that considering Percy has always done independant gigs around NY. i saw Percy with Tunnels a few times as well, absolutely love his unique style.

  2. #52
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    +1
    + 2!


  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Any idea why Percy quit?
    Percy's been a pal for years. It comes down to 2 issues: Management stealing funds & a certain guitarist drinking to dangerous extremes. Percy left in March, by the by.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Percy's been a pal for years. It comes down to 2 issues: Management stealing funds & a certain guitarist drinking to dangerous extremes. Percy left in March, by the by.
    Scott Weinberger, on good authority, I've heard is a major shithead

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Scott Weinberger, on good authority, I've heard is a major shithead
    Brand X never had a 2nd percussionist in the band in the old days, did they? Why is Scott Weinberger in this version of the band? Does he also have other duties (manager, etc.)?

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Brand X never had a 2nd percussionist in the band in the old days, did they?
    They had the late, great Morris Pert on percussion on Moroccan Roll and Masques (and also guesting on some tracks of subsequent albums).
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  7. #57
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Brand X never had a 2nd percussionist in the band in the old days, did they? Why is Scott Weinberger in this version of the band? Does he also have other duties (manager, etc.)?
    I can't speak to the "shithead" allegations about him, but Weinberger was the driving force behind getting Brand X to reunite a few years ago, and he's not the manager. He's certainly not essential to the band's current sound, but imagine getting your musical heroes playing together again, and being part of the band, to boot.
    I have observed some "shithead"-level stuff on the part of the guy who's managing the band and the people who are running their social media. For instance, this week they've been posting news articles about Phil Collins' recent financial and personal difficulties around his current wife/girlfriend so that they could poke fun. A real dick move.

    I'll follow whatever music arises out of both camps, but my expectation is that Jones will continue to put out new stuff while Goodsall's side will just continue to tour the old material. Hopefully I'm wrong about the latter.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can't speak to the "shithead" allegations about him, but Weinberger was the driving force behind getting Brand X to reunite a few years ago, and he's not the manager. He's certainly not essential to the band's current sound, but imagine getting your musical heroes playing together again, and being part of the band, to boot.
    I have observed some "shithead"-level stuff on the part of the guy who's managing the band and the people who are running their social media. For instance, this week they've been posting news articles about Phil Collins' recent financial and personal difficulties around his current wife/girlfriend so that they could poke fun. A real dick move.

    I'll follow whatever music arises out of both camps, but my expectation is that Jones will continue to put out new stuff while Goodsall's side will just continue to tour the old material. Hopefully I'm wrong about the latter.
    I forgot to mention how very much Percy wanted the band to do new material as well.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  9. #59
    Whats even worse was how they distributed their 2 live cds: Shows and BS while shutting out online indie dealers. Well, guess what, shows were postponed and BS didn't re-stock the 2 live recent CDs. I know Percy has said that they made nothing on the classic charisma records. Maybe someone like esoteric could at least reissue the first two with bonus live stuff. Rumour has it they will be heading to bandcamp. WTF were they waiting for....lol

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Percy's been a pal for years. It comes down to 2 issues: Management stealing funds & a certain guitarist drinking to dangerous extremes. Percy left in March, by the by.
    Who *is* the band's manager?
    And if its who I think it is, I wouldn't be surprised.

  11. #61

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    148
    Thanks, Dave!

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Kenny Grohowski is a phenomenal drummer.
    Kenny is my favorite young drummer. Apparently he is working on a project with Tony Levin and the band Beledo.

  14. #64
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Kenny is my favorite young drummer. Apparently he is working on a project with Tony Levin and the band Beledo.
    He also recently worked as PAKT with Percy Jones, Alex Skolnick and Tim Motzer. I hope recordings show up.

  15. #65
    Member FrippWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He also recently worked as PAKT with Percy Jones, Alex Skolnick and Tim Motzer. I hope recordings show up.
    Moonjune will be releasing the audio recording from the livestream -- closer to the end of the year (if I have my facts straight).

  16. #66
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,808
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Moonjune will be releasing the audio recording from the livestream -- closer to the end of the year (if I have my facts straight).
    That matches my vague recollection of something I heard/saw/read but can no longer find, so I'm glad you confirmed.

  17. #67
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    523
    So apparently Jeff Berlin will not be playing with Brand X as previously announced.

    From his Facebook page:

    "Brand X did me the honor of inviting me to cover the bass chair of the legendary Percy Jones. But, unfortunately, circumstances made it impossible to accept the gig as I originally did.
    Other plans for me are in the works. So, we'll see each other soon.
    Best of luck to the legendary Brand X! You are great!"

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    So apparently Jeff Berlin will not be playing with Brand X as previously announced.

    From his Facebook page:

    "Brand X did me the honor of inviting me to cover the bass chair of the legendary Percy Jones. But, unfortunately, circumstances made it impossible to accept the gig as I originally did.
    Other plans for me are in the works. So, we'll see each other soon.
    Best of luck to the legendary Brand X! You are great!"
    I saw this. I hope someone will step up. John Giblin, Ralphe Armstrong would do a fine job.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #69
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    They had the late, great Morris Pert on percussion on Moroccan Roll and Masques (and also guesting on some tracks of subsequent albums).
    And he was interesting and great!

    Weinberger plays like a second drummer imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Fukc Facebook.

  21. #71
    I can't imagine WHO they would get to replace him and sound anything like him?! Its all too bad, it feels to me Goodsall is the weak link and would be the easiest to replace...they've lost Jones AND Grohowski, huge loss and will surely affect their sound.

  22. #72
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,808
    A somewhat obvious candidate would have been the late Doug Lunn.

  23. #73
    I believe Lorenzo Feliciati and Colin Edwin are becoming the Alex Machaceks of the bass-guitar, so they will do fine.
    As a reaction on mentioning the late Doug Lunn: the late Mick Karn would have been cool too, especially when you listen to those Ippu-Do albums on which Percy does the Karn-thing along with Steve Jansen & Richard Barbieri

  24. #74
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I believe Lorenzo Feliciati and Colin Edwin are becoming the Alex Machaceks of the bass-guitar, so they will do fine.
    Has Colin Edwin ever proved himself a fusion player at any level? I always considered him a groove player.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A somewhat obvious candidate would have been the late Doug Lunn.
    True...
    Ian Maidman from David Sylvians Gone to Earth would be pretty great, too. Larry Klein if he were still playing...and Jeff Becks bassist Rhonda Smith

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •