Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater New Live release, November

Dream Theater New Live release, November

Here's the first look at their new live release coming in November :

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    Here's the first look at their new live release coming in November :

I'm glad to see it; Distance Over Time was the best DT release since Octavarium, and the first DT release where I've loved EVERY song.

But... that clip... is it me or is there something WEIRD about James LaBrie's voice? When the first note came out of his mouth, he sounded weirdly strained, like he had some sort of late-80s Alice Cooper filter on his voice. He didn't sound like the JLB I remember.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

This is great but sadly I am not a fan of Scenes which takes up most of the set. It worries me that they gave more importance to a 20 year old album rather than the new album. As for JLB, he does seem rather strained.

I had a ticket for this show but was ill with what in retrospect could have been Covid19 - I'll never know. First DT tour I've missed in many a year but glad I'll get to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As for JLB, he does seem rather strained.
    Also a bit larger in size, and trying real hard for metal credibility - notice those big clunky rings and the tattoos.

The eons are closing
    I really fail to see the wisdom of SFaM in its entirety as part of this release.

If it was from a locale that never saw SFaM at the time - plus a quality DT other tuneage set - then perhaps

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

His voice didn't sound off...though I haven't followed them for a while now. Looks like he's trying to be like Jonathan Davis...though Davis has a Geiger designed stand not the thing from ikea LBs using!
    This is actually the best thing Ive heard from them in ages, and still sounds the same, all playing the same thing...and can anyone tell me why I always see Rudess reading off a chart?!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Also a bit larger in size, and trying real hard for metal credibility - notice those big clunky rings and the tattoos.
    Yeah, I didn't want to comment on his appearance but he is looking a bit well...strange... to put it politely.

I watched this clip, as I haven't heard the last album, and this track was supposed to be a highlight.

Riffs and drums - check. But when LaBrie starts trying to sing, I just cringed. I get that he is the voice of DT, for better or worse, but he's also become the reason I've drifted away from them. I now struggle with his style, and when he struggles as on this clip, I then struggle to the point of no return. He looks way out of shape too.

Perhaps that's a symptom of my problem with DT these days - no one is steering the ship. Petrucci calls all the shots, which is fair enough, but I end up with the impression that he's like "just let me play guitar and don't bother me with the difficult stuff."

LaBrie let himself go in a similar way back in 2002, turning in poor performances to the point where the band came real close to sacking him. He pulled himself together, but from then on, Portnoy was constantly riding him to improve. I guess with Portnoy gone, no one else wants the responsibility?

Interestingly Prog magazine reviewed this particular gig, and was unusually scathing about the first half. Normally the reviews tend to keep criticism light so as not to offend, but this review was very critical, although avoided naming names. Apparently things improved for the Scenes set.

This looks like a good gig to have on DVD, count me in.
    We've been enjoying On the Backs of Angels and Octavarium lately after a long hiatus away from listening to DT.
    Fresh new appreciation for both of these releases.

Regarding James vocals in this clip, first thing I thought of is they're playing in a lower key as is his vocals. Could just be me, but he sounds great in this range.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I saw this tour last year. I loved Scenes in its entirety, however LaBrie's voice is shot. Lots of painful moments. I'm done with them.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I was at one of the London dates last year. Swore off going to see DT years ago for various reasons, one of them being LaBrie's voice but Scenes was a big album for me back in the day so I reckoned this was my last chance to see it all live. Still enjoyed the instrumental performance but LaBrie was absolutely terrible. Off key and strained much of the time, with an unpleasant nasal tone. Worst of all he tried to compensate for his shortcomings by adding some "ad libs", like bending up at the end of sustained notes but without actually landing on a suitable higher note.

I know slagging him off gets a bit boring but I just can't believe a band of DT's stature and musicianship can keep going out and subject their audience to such substandard vocals.

My only hope is that with him being a few years older than Petrucci and Myung he might retire in a couple of years when the others are not ready to hang it up yet and we might get a new singer who can actually be an asset to the band rather than a hindrance.

I never enjoy the ''Screaming'' type of voice of James Labrie, so If he lost a bit of his ''screaming power'' it's just going less damaging for my ears... But just for the long instrumental parts of their music would justify my purchase of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I was at one of the London dates last year. Swore off going to see DT years ago for various reasons, one of them being LaBrie's voice but Scenes was a big album for me back in the day so I reckoned this was my last chance to see it all live. Still enjoyed the instrumental performance but LaBrie was absolutely terrible. Off key and strained much of the time, with an unpleasant nasal tone. Worst of all he tried to compensate for his shortcomings by adding some "ad libs", like bending up at the end of sustained notes but without actually landing on a suitable higher note.

I know slagging him off gets a bit boring but I just can't believe a band of DT's stature and musicianship can keep going out and subject their audience to such substandard vocals.

My only hope is that with him being a few years older than Petrucci and Myung he might retire in a couple of years when the others are not ready to hang it up yet and we might get a new singer who can actually be an asset to the band rather than a hindrance.
    Would never happen but what about DT with a strong female singer?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Would never happen but what about DT with a strong female singer?
    Usually not a big fan of that (just sounds too different), but now that you mention it I could imagine Floor Jansen knocking it out of the park.

It's not an easy set to sing, especially the early stuff but I'm sure there are some young(er) male singers out there who could do the job. Just off the top of my head I would love to hear what someone like Tommy Karevik or Kelly Sundown Carpenter could do with those tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I watched this clip, as I haven't heard the last album, and this track was supposed to be a highlight.
    To clarify, he sounds fine on the album and I have no problem with his voice there. I really do recommend it.

Here, it's just... what the hell?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Here's a thought.

Petrucci and Portnoy continue the bromance, having played together on Petrucci's solo album. Portnoy is invited back to DT, LaBrie throws a hissy fit and storms off, and they get....Jeff Scott Soto!

After all he's proved himself match-fit singing DT songs with Sons of Apollo - and it wouldn't be the first time JSS was brought in to replace an ailing singer.....Journey anyone? (He did a terrific job on that tour - perhaps too good a job.)

Posted in jest of course.

Here's a thought.

Petrucci and Portnoy continue the bromance, having played together on Petrucci's solo album. Portnoy is invited back to DT, LaBrie throws a hissy fit and storms off
    Actually, a more likely scenario I could picture is LaBrie "gracefully retires" in a few years, and then Portnoy is invited back to DT - that way it wouldn't look bad on them that they forced LaBrie out, plus it would help legitimize the new lineup if they get Portnoy back. Even better if it coincides with some sort of anniversary...

and they get....Jeff Scott Soto
    Soto really doesn't have the range required for DT anymore though. This Soto from the Yngwie days would have been AMAZING for DT:

But sadly those days are far behind him. He's still got good tone and power, and he knows how to work with the voice he has now, but his range is pretty limited these days.

The thing with bringing Portnoy back is: how do you fire Mangini for no good reason? I don't care much for the music they've made in the last ten years, but he's a hell of a player, and unless there's something personal behind the scenes I don't know about, he hasn't done anything to warrant his removal. He seems to love his job and get along with everyone, I can't imagine he would do anything to jeopardize it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The thing with bringing Portnoy back is: how do you fire Mangini for no good reason?
    Isn't that what they did to Derek Sherinian?
    One minute they said they asked him to become a full time member of the band, and then Jordan became available and he was yestaday's newz.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The eons are closing
    DT did Derek dirty - he saved them for the Awake tour, crushed the keys on ACoS - was a team player re: commercial bent on FII.

So yeah Mangini aint safe but IMO neither is Myung.

I could see MP rejoining amd bringing Dave LaRue to DT to join them (since DLaR is on the solo disc too).

Gonna go listen to my ROIO of Stretch tunz from back in the day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

he hasn't done anything to warrant his removal.
    Of course not. And I don't think he'll be gone. But stranger things have happened. Portnoy back with DT is just one of those reunions that looks unlikely on paper but might just happen at some point. But even if it does, I don't think it would involve Mangini being booted out of the band. So either for a special one-off event, or if Mangini himself decides to leave for whatever reason.

For now this is all just idle speculation. I don't follow DT anymore, and don't really care too much who the drummer is. If they changed singers that would get my attention.

I've followed DT since the beginning but very often not liked what they did, there are quite a few albums and many many tracks I don't like, but strangely, and this might shock some people, I like them more since Mangini joined. A Dramatic Turn and DT12 are (mostly) high points for me

How about a Farewell James tour with Portnoy and Derek (if he doesn't hold a grudge) and do a Union-type tour? Then pick a new vocalist and continue with the two Johns, Jordan and Mangini.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I must be watching a different video than the one where people are complaining about James' voice.
    He's definitely singing in a lower key but it sounds fine to me, in fact I use to cringe when he would reach for those high notes and wind up screeching.
    And I'm pretty sure James isn't going anywhere, and no, they won't pull a Yes and try to keep Dreamtheater on life support if his voice does go.

I do think they've pretty much done all they can do and already have plagarized their own past material more than once on new albums.

But I think the discussion here has seemed to evolve into a fantasy discussion about replacing certain members...it's kind of funny and I've found the comments..uh, interesting.