Thread: Jethro Tull - Aqualung (45 RPM 200 Gram Double LP on Clarity Vinyl)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (45 RPM 200 Gram Double LP on Clarity Vinyl)

Label: Analogue Productions
    Genre: Pop/Rock
    Product No.:
    AUHQR 0003-45
    UPC: 753088034572
    Availability:
    Pre Order
    Category: UHQR Vinyl Record
    No. of Discs: 2
    Coming October 16, 2020

https://store.acousticsounds.com/ind...itle_ID=141198

Looks kewl but I already have the SW 2011 vinyl which sounds wonderful. If I had bread to burn, I would definitely want this no doubt.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

"This UHQR is remastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering from the original analog master tapes."

I have always understood that the original master for Aqualung is in shitty condition, having basically been stored in Ian Anderson's garage. I recall a story from Steven Hoffman--which may be a tall tale--about splicing in a segment of needle drop to replace a damaged portion on the master without Anderson's knowledge.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The SW remix sounds boatloads better than any other version including the SH master. Its a shit sounding album but a phenomenal record.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The SW remix sounds boatloads better than any other version including the SH master. Its a shit sounding album but a phenomenal record.
    So you’re telling me I should get the SW remix? I’m not into all this remix stuff but I agree like most people including Ian that this album does not sound good

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I agree like most people including Ian that this album does not sound good
    I rather like what I think of as the gray, cloudy sound of this album. Gives it a nicely bleak atmosphere.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'll wait for the 78 rpm version

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    You scamp

How many record set would that be? I’ve got a bad back and probably wouldn’t be able to pick it up.

Yes......but they are 200gm Discs! Thats 20 GRAMS BETTER than the SW mix that is 180gm.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I rather like what I think of as the gray, cloudy sound of this album. Gives it a nicely bleak atmosphere.
    I bought several versions on cd and didn’t like either of them. I downloaded a version someone ripped from LP online once and found it to sound like what I remembered it sounding years ago. So I just play that version which I wouldn’t say sounds great but it brings back the memories which is what I need when I want to play Aqualung.

How many record set would that be? I’ve got a bad back and probably wouldn’t be able to pick it up.
    This is the wrong attitude. If you are an audiophile you should welcome the suffering.

The eons are closing
    ^^This

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

So you’re telling me I should get the SW remix? I’m not into all this remix stuff but I agree like most people including Ian that this album does not sound good
    Like you, I'm not a remix guy at all. But the SW remix of Aqualung is certainly the one exception that is definitely worth hearing. Maybe that one and Chicago II.

It goes for several of his remix.
    Thick as Brick and especially Tales from Topographic oceans and also got much better.
    GG: The power and the Glory got a bit too analytical for my taste, but never the less, it revealed new and interesting details, especially with the drums.

I am certified Tull fanatic and for the most part the SW mixes have become my go-to's. I still have the original Chrysalis CDs, remastered CDs, and a bunch of vinyl - so I can do whatver version I want at anytime, but on something like Aqualung, I will probabaly only listen to the SW version from now on. It finally has some depth, clarity, and weight to it. YMMV of course.

Try this out, preferably with headphones so you can really hear the "weight".

I am certified Tull fanatic and for the most part the SW mixes have become my go-to's. I still have the original Chrysalis CDs, remastered CDs, and a bunch of vinyl - so I can do whatver version I want at anytime, but on something like Aqualung, I will probabaly only listen to the SW version from now on. It finally has some depth, clarity, and weight to it. YMMV of course.

Big Tull fan here too. However, could never figure out why there was so much difference in the sonic quality of recordings, that has given life to remastering and or remixing. Aqualung was released in 1971, the same year as AUDIENCE House on the Hill..listen to the sound of this killer album, and why?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Ian said Tull had the big room at Island studios, Basing St, London, a converted church with quote "a horrible, cold, echoey" feel. The entire sessions seemed like a nightmare sound-wise. Zep had the smaller, better sounding room for sessions on IV (album) recording simultaneously. IMO it never sounded remotely good until SW worked on it. Hoffman's was marginally better but it was just a remaster, not a remix/remaster.

Ian said Tull had the big room at Island studios, Basing St, London, a converted church with quote "a horrible, cold, echoey" feel. The entire sessions seemed like a nightmare sound-wise. Zep had the smaller, better sounding room for sessions on IV (album) recording simultaneously. IMO it never sounded remotely good until SW worked on it. Hoffman's was marginally better but it was just a remaster, not a remix/remaster.
    I always considered Led Zep IV to have a terrible mix. Very mid-rangy and no fullness in the bass. Page was notorious for that, to me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I bought several of the SW Tull Anniversary Remixes. They are great. And now I am done. Ian has more than enough money, and he needs no more from me.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I always considered Led Zep IV to have a terrible mix. Very mid-rangy and no fullness in the bass. Page was notorious for that, to me.
    Agreed. Even the recent remaster sounds marginally better.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Right !
    Compare it to Zep II, recorded under strange conditions on 4-track records - and it sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Right !
    Compare it to Zep II, recorded under strange conditions on 4-track records - and it sounds fantastic!
    The debut sounds even better.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"