Thread: ANATHEMA: On Indefinite Hiatus (9/22/20)

ANATHEMA: On Indefinite Hiatus (9/22/20)

https://www.facebook.com/anathemamus...8682760303629/

This is hardly surprising, but sad none-the-less.

Regardless if they never release anything again, they have made a lot of great music.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/anathemamus...8682760303629/

This is hardly surprising, but sad none-the-less.

Regardless if they never release anything again, they have made a lot of great music.
    That really sucks. Love this band and never had the chance to see them live.

I was just reading in a Guardian article that, according to a Musician's Union survey, one third of British musicians are considering giving up their careers because of COVID19.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-dcms-treasury
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Never been a big fan but they will be missed. I know a lot of people love their music.
    The Prog Corner

I've grown to really love their work. It's just another reminder that it's tough for everyone these days. At least calling it a hiatus leaves the door open a sliver.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You folks read about this? Sounds like a sad situation. From the band’s FB page:

We want to let you know that unfortunately life has been very tough on one of our band members, Dan, in the last two years, and He has attempted suicide.

He has has been under a chronic and profound depression for years.

He survived the suicide attempt and is getting better. It’s a miracle he survived the last two years at all. He never left the house for a year, and contrary to theories, he was never institutionalised in any way and has never in his life had contact from the police, or the psychiatric services.

Dan is a reasonably decent human being who seems to have become lost. Hasn’t been himself at all for years.

He did go voluntarily to hospital once for a few days, to avoid the ability to commit suicide, but apparently the NHS facility was even more depressing. The NHS need help and we are pledging 10% of our GoFundMe to the mind charity.

We are now working to bring something good to the world and Dan wants to improve as a human being and be a better man, and never do anything so stupid again. His doctor is also trying his best to prevent suicide happening again.

He is under professional mental health care and is very dedicated to 12 step of addiction recovery, of which he is very active. Dan has been diagnosed with profound depression, daily chronic horrific anxiety, complex post traumatic stress disorder for 25 - 30 years, and he has ADHD. He has not been himself at all for 4 years now, at least.

Many of you share this type of struggle. Maybe music is part of healing.

Hard lessons have been well learned. This was the hardest. Lessons were learned. Maybe that’s why we have hard times.

We wish Dan a good recovery. Obviously we were not sure if posting this was a good idea, but the truth is the truth, and perhaps it’s time you heard it.

Blessing and love and forgiveness ✨

We truly hope all of you , every single one of you without exception, live happy and blessed lives.

Yours in healing

Weather Systems band and management

Very sad. From what I have heard Dan has had major struggles with mental issues for his whole life. I hope the best for him.

Very sad to hear it. His sadness and struggle come through quite vividly in their music. I hope he's better soon.

Indeed sad news. I only own 2 Anathema albums, I once got for review purposes and did an interview with them.

It must be hard to get regular mental health care while being a touring or recording musician with the crazy schedules and all. Hope he gets better.

yeah I saw some discussion about that on some other forums.

"Dan" (or "Danny" Cavanagh?) , and Suicide is nothing to not take seriously of course, but the post reads kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    yeah I saw some discussion about that on some other forums.

"Dan" (or "Danny" Cavanagh?) , and Suicide is nothing to not take seriously of course, but the post reads kind of odd.
    Well, I think there had been a little bad blood that led to the "hiatus." That post reads to me like they're really fed up with him, but reporting on what's up. You have to remember there are three siblings involved, so it's probably complicated.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Actually, On Indefinite Hiatus reads like an Anathema album title

I have read that the band were left with a lot of debt due to lockdown and the cancellation of their tours. For a band who hangs on by a thread making a living from almost constant touring but never really making the big time it seems the band had to fold and get day jobs. This must have hit Dan particularly hard.

According to their Instagram page, demos for the new Weather Systems album 'Ocean Without A Shore' are now complete and will be recorded in the autumn. The line up for the band is set but won't be announced until the release.

This is the fundraiser for Weather Systems:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/weather-s...ource=customer

and a Soundcloud page for some demos and cover versions:

https://soundcloud.com/user-107730380