Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Listening to TONS of new instrumental music nowadays. You?

Quote Originally Posted by PFMfan View Post
    American quartette Ovrfwrd just released an entirely instrumental album that is exciting enough to be worth to have in any collection: https://ovrfwrd.bandcamp.com/album/s...-now-available

Quite excellent. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Just bought the Anglagard in Live in Japan, partly because it had three of the four track of Hybris in the seet list.

What a joy it is to hear Kung Bore and Sista Somra , eve'n thoutgh the vocals on the Live album are even mmorte flawed thabn on Hybris (I actually like them vocals on the studio album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have just discovered the best instrumental album of 2020. Three of Steve Hackett's touring band: Jonas Reingold, Rob Townsend & Craig Blundell + plus an all-star guest lineup are calling themselves The Backstage. The release is called Isolation, and it a fusion explosion (pardon the pun). Reminds me of Passport, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever and Lyle Mays era Pat Metheny. It will be released on the 23rd, but if you pre-order from Amazon you can download the MP3 now. Even in crappy MP3 mode it all sounds fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    I have just discovered the best instrumental album of 2020. Three of Steve Hackett's touring band: Jonas Reingold, Rob Townsend & Craig Blundell + plus an all-star guest lineup are calling themselves The Backstage. The release is called Isolation, and it a fusion explosion (pardon the pun). Reminds me of Passport, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever and Lyle Mays era Pat Metheny. It will be released on the 23rd, but if you pre-order from Amazon you can download the MP3 now. Even in crappy MP3 mode it all sounds fantastic!
    I forgot all about this one! Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't really heard any "new" instrumental music, apart from some of the ambient things I've gotten off Bandcamp lately, recent releases from e.g. Steve Roach, Forrest Fang, etc.

But there's been some "new to me" instrumentals, in the form of the Miles Davis boxsets I finally got a couple months ago. And if you go back about 18 months or so, there's also The Shadows, The Astronauts and Terauchi Takeshi.

I've known about The Shadows for damn near 40 years, but of course, when I was a kid their records were hard to come by Stateside (or at least they were around here, though I didn't put a lot of effort into looking back then), so it took me a couple decades to find a source, then another decade and a half to finally follow through. Fortunately, I procrastinated so long on that front, by the time I was ready to pull the trigger, a box of all their classic records was available on CD.

The Astronauts I sort of found out about a year or two ago, when someone posted a picture of one of their album covers, showing them with their matching Fender guitars on my Facebook feed, and I asked, "Do they sound as good as that picture looks?!". Then I learned that tehy were apparently an early influence on guitar legend Bill Frissell. Takeshi-san, likewise, I only learned about earlier this year, and I bought one of his albums. Cool surf rock styled music.

Oh yeah, and there was the new release from Djam Karet...I've already forgotten what it's called, but it's good, and Swamp Of Dreams, which is a compilation of a variety of material they've released on various artists compilations over the decades.

I listen to mostly jazz/fusion so this is nothing new to me.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

New Guranfoe music on the horizon. I just pre-ordered Gumbo Gumbo on Bandcamp and got the pre-release single, Et Alias, a twelve minute “single” that leaves me wanting more. Seriously dynamic instrumental music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that about 70% of all music I listen to is instrumental.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I believe that about 70% of all music I listen to is instrumental.
    I'm at about that ratio myself. Maybe even a bit higher. Not a conscious decision, but the majority of new releases that appeal to me, just happen to be instrumental.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    New Guranfoe music on the horizon. I just pre-ordered Gumbo Gumbo on Bandcamp and got the pre-release single, Et Alias, a twelve minute “single” that leaves me wanting more. Seriously dynamic instrumental music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, that one is in my Bandcamp wish list. I'll wait for the full release before I commit to buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm at about that ratio myself. Maybe even a bit higher. Not a conscious decision, but the majority of new releases that appeal to me, just happen to be instrumental.

Neil
    Yes same for me; nothing conscious about this. I have just naturally gravitated more and more towards the instrumental music through the years. In fact maybe I have moved towards to my roots because as a child I mostly liked orchestral film music which of course was mostly 100% instrumental.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    I really like the one Hackett released a year or two ago - the Mediterranean one, which is all instrumental I believe. It's really a pretty good listen.

I am listening to more and more modern classical music these days. Since I do not really like the classical use of the voice most of it is instrumental. Modern classical is the new avant prog.

Of new music the majority is instrumental. Of older music the majority has vocals. So overall probably 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    +1 !
    +2.

Listening to Modern Jazz, that is...instrumental, contemporary stuff.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    +2.

Listening to Modern Jazz, that is...instrumental, contemporary stuff.
    Same here
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

YES, just bought one of the CAN live CDs and My Sleeping Karma "Atma"...