Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Listening to TONS of new instrumental music nowadays. You?

Listening to TONS of new instrumental music nowadays. You?

I have noticed, in the past few years especially, that the amount of new instrumental progressive music vs. music with vocals that I buy, has gone way up. It's actually been pretty high for awhile now...say around 60% of stuff I get, to recently around a whopping 80-90% Now, I don't go looking for music without a singer and I love great vocals and lyrics as much as the next person, I just look for new music that I like. And it just so seems, that there is a larger and larger amount of quality new releases coming out, that are all, or predominantly, instrumental.

I have no problem with this, I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, why this is, and if anybody has any favoritism one way or the other, or is it is just fine, as long as there is great new music still coming out?

neil

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    These are interesting points you raise but I don't give it a lot of thought. I prefer After Crying music that is more instrumental by a high degree. Mahavishnu Orchestra is overwhelmingly instrumental (I simply adore the band) and I couldn't imaging their music with vocals. Brand X is another example. I do think the majority of my collection is vocal based - my favourite Big Six bands fit this bill. Scatter point, but the After Crying release, Almost Pure Instrumental is sublime. This thread will have legs, I'll read it with interest.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

New? Instrumental? Please drop some names, in case there's something I may want!

I wonder if, given the explosion of new music on, for example, bandcamp now, if it is simply getting harder and harder for bands to find good vocalists, or preferable, for one reason of another, to simply write and record instrumental tunes.

neil

Since I do a ton of classical/chamber/solo piano I guess I do too. Never really think of this music as instrumental.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here, especially lots of modern jazz
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    New? Instrumental? Please drop some names, in case there's something I may want!
    Within the last year? Well, I'm at work, so this is off the top of my head, but:

Zopp, John Zorn, Jg Thirlwell & Simon Steensland, Soften the Glare, Mammal Hands, GoGo Penguiin, Karaba, Tigran Hamasyan, Behold the Arctopus, Pixie Ninja, Kamencello, Sonar, The Devil's Staircase, Cryptic Ruse, The Segue, Elds Mark, Ozma....

Is that enough to get you started, lol? All of these bands are one click away on bandcamp. It is your friend.

neil

I haven't heard anything new in the rock vein. I'm listening to the Tubby Hayes Fontana box, and the Modern Jazz Quartet. Mostly the Last Concert 2 CD set.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I wonder if, given the explosion of new music on, for example, bandcamp now, if it is simply getting harder and harder for bands to find good vocalists, or preferable, for one reason of another, to simply write and record instrumental tunes.

neil
    With the deterioration of Music education in schools....are Choir's gone too? Vocal training? There will always be prodigies but for the rest of us....singing in the shower ain't gonna cut it.

I have too been gravitating toward instrumentals but from the past....60's & surf music. The one song everyone our age probably knows BUT doesn't know the name of it.

https://youtu.be/thobjyBX1lE

No Matter What Shape Your Stomach Is In by The T-Bones (really the Wrecking crew out of LA)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

All music I wrote in the past HAD to be instrumental, because I can't sing to save my life. My music was bad enough already. Add my "cats fighting in slow motion" vocals to the mix and it would be gawd awful.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Iíve been that way for years actually. I canít explain it myself but ever since the 70ís Iíve found rock vocals to be at times hard to listen to. With me Iíve grown to love classical music and maybe my taste in music has changed over the years. I love instrumental progressive music. Many times also I feel as though artists have trouble writing vocal lines over complex music and the music and vocal lines become too simple for my tastes even if they throw in some complex instrumental passages around it.

neil
    I believe there is something to that line of thought Neil..I prefer music with vocals as it helps define the tunes better than instrumentals. Back in the day I preferred the instrumental parts to most of the vocal stuff, however, that has changed for me over the past 10 years or so. I do give instrumental music a fair crack, but I really must have vocals to remember what I've been listening to.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I have no problem with this, I'm just wondering if others are noticing the same thing, why this is, and if anybody has any favoritism one way or the other, or is it is just fine, as long as there is great new music still coming out?
    I'm with you, I definitely think the majority of new music I get is instrumental, or very largely instrumental. I'm not sure it's 90%, but probably 60-75%. For me, the reason is pretty simple. I think many bands that have vocals, especially heavy vocal orientations, tend to tend to be on the poppiest side of the spectrum and are of the least interest to me. I don't have a particular preference one way or the other, but it just seems like this is how it's worked out for me.

Your list is great, many I like on there, some others I probably need to spend a bit more time with. I'd add Kenta Shimakawa's Glimpse as another recent (overwhelmingly) instrumental release that I really like. There are vocals, but mostly they are singing scat melodies.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Same here, especially lots of modern jazz
    +1 !
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Maebe.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:18 PM.

Think these are all instrumental

JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland - Oscillospira
    Chromb! - Le Livres De Merveilles
    Behold The Arctopus - Hapelectic Overtrove
    Hedvig Mollestad - Ekhidna
    Nubya Garcia - Source
    Glass Museum - Reykjavik
    Gosta Berlings Saga - Konkret Musik
    Jaga Jazzist - Pyramid
    Led Bib - Live at The Vortex Jazz Club
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lyle Workman has just released a bunch of new instrumental EPs covering prog/metal, orchestral, country rock & whatever genre he can think of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I believe there is something to that line of thought Neil..I prefer music with vocals as it helps define the tunes better than instrumentals. Back in the day I preferred the instrumental parts to most of the vocal stuff, however, that has changed for me over the past 10 years or so. I do give instrumental music a fair crack, but I really must have vocals to remember what I've been listening to.
    With drums being among my multiple instruments, I can tell you the lyrics are the best cue for where we are in a song. That tells me when to insert the appropriate fill to signal the rest of the band a change is coming.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have noticed, in the past few years especially, that the amount of new instrumental progressive music vs. music with vocals that I buy, has gone way up. It's actually been pretty high for awhile now...say around 60% of stuff I get, to recently around a whopping 80-90% Now, I don't go looking for music without a singer and I love great vocals and lyrics as much as the next person, I just look for new music that I like. And it just so seems, that there is a larger and larger amount of quality new releases coming out, that are all, or predominantly, instrumental.

neil
    Me too, LONG, Long time, started back with the Ozric's - At this point in my life, I hate ALL vocals in music...

If anyone likes instrumental guitar rock thats a bit different check out Distant Dream:

For two decades, my fave genres of music (JR/F and RIO/Avant) was mainly instrumental, so I grew very wary of sung music, especially in the standard song format. AFAIAC, I consider music with scat vocals as "instrumental" and albums with one or two tracks as well.

I have no idea of what kind of percentage of instrumental music is amongst my new acquisitions into the millenium, but it's certainly above 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Iíve been that way for years actually. I canít explain it myself but ever since the 70ís Iíve found rock vocals to be at times hard to listen to. With me Iíve grown to love classical music and maybe my taste in music has changed over the years. I love instrumental progressive music. Many times also I feel as though artists have trouble writing vocal lines over complex music and the music and vocal lines become too simple for my tastes even if they throw in some complex instrumental passages around it.
    I tend to agree with this (except that I don't care that much about classical music.... yet). It seems very little post-70's music have meaningful text (at least to my 50-sumthin' sensibilities), or that singers are not pronouncing their texts in an immediately comprehensible manner, that it doesn't instantly perk my attention up.

I mean, I find little modern lyric writers approaching Roger Waters, Peter Hammill or Ian Anderson's text strenght.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Well, TBH, I do like some vocals in my instrumental music as well, and not necessarily when it's used as in instrument (scatting). However, I am sometimes a bit annoyed when the current London jazz scene (Shabaka, Nubya, Maisha and others) include vocals in their albums. It's either weak lyrics that don't really allow multipkle listens, or not sung well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    If anyone likes instrumental guitar rock thats a bit different check out Distant Dream:

Mmmhhh!!!... this is your average post-rock dishing instrumental rock since the late 90's... It started with GodspeedYBE!, Do Say Make Think, Tarentel, etc... nothing new under the sun, IMHO. FTM, the post-rock bands that sold more albums included vocals (ExplosionITS, Mogwai) but it has not endeared me to the genre, more than the pioneers or first wave.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Lots of instrumental music for me too over this past year. For me, I've bought a ton from Moonjune Records on Bandcamp. Anything with Marcus Reuter (Stick Men) - from fusion to ambient. Great stuff and the label is really diverse.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

neil
    The lack of a good vocalist has never been an excuse for many bands singing anyway. Mediocre vocals have been the single biggest turn off for me over the years, so I've always been buying more instrumental music. And I prefer to form my own interpretation of the music, rather than lyrics spoon feeding it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, TBH, I do like some vocals in my instrumental music as well, and not necessarily when it's used as in instrument (scatting). However, I am sometimes a bit annoyed when the current London jazz scene (Shabaka, Nubya, Maisha and others) include vocals in their albums. It's either weak lyrics that don't really allow multipkle listens, or not sung well enough.
    I'm in the same space here but there's enough good music on the albums that I can give it a pass, too often these vocals are more interested in message than music.
    Ian

What a big coincidence!

Listening to SKY 4 . Has lots of classical guitar and excellent instrumentations.

NOT exactly new but some of the best instrumental works of the past.

I miss this band.