Thread: R.I.P. Lee Kerslake (Uriah Heep/Ozzy)

R.I.P. Lee Kerslake (Uriah Heep/Ozzy)

Passed at 73.

Announced by Ken Hensley:

It's with the heaviest of hearts that I share with you that Lee Kerslake, my friend of 55 years and the best drummer I ever played with, lost his battle with cancer at 03:30 this morning. He died peacefully, praise The Lord, but he will be terribly missed.
    I know many of you were praying for him not to suffer and I thank you for that and, now that Lee is at peace, our thoughts and prayers should turn to his wife Sue who will need all the support she can get at this time.
    Ken Hensley

https://www.nme.com/news/music/uriah...s-died-2756808

Lee's last appearance with Heep:

Last edited by Dan Roth; 09-19-2020 at 12:14 PM.

He stuggled with ill health for a long time. Sad news...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

A nice tribute video from Sea of Tranquility:

RIP. A drummer on many classic albums. Another one gone...

I remember his 'death' being announced before, maybe in 2018. I guess it's true now though?

A great drummer- Heep's best IMHO. Compare his playing on the Live 73 'Gypsy' to the original studio version!

I really liked that original Blizzard Of Ozz unit too. A shame it went so sour.

A nice tribute from Mick Box:

Lee was one of the kindest men on earth, as well as being a brother he was an incredible drummer, singer and song writer! He had a passion for life bar none and was much loved by the fans, as well as anyone who crossed his path! Rock in peace my friend and say hi to David, Gary, John and Trevor for me! This picture says it all! Love Mick x

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Lee.

Great player - highly influential for a generation of early metal drummers. RIP.

One of my favorite drummers. Love his playing on Demons & Wizards, The Magician's Birthday, Live, Return To Fantasy, High And Mighty, Abominog, Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman.

So sad to hear. I know he had been sick for quite awhile. Those early Heep albums still get played in my car every once in awhile years after I first discovered them in the 70ís. RIP Lee thank you for all the great music and memories.

RIP. Rock in Peace.

R.I.P.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

From an early 70s underground obscurity he was in, with Jan Schelhaas on keys (later in Gary Moore Βand, Caravan and Camel).

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Here's a nice little writeup/tribute from Steve Pilkington:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/lee-...-umble-wizard/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

My very first rock concert was Uriah Heep opening for Kiss in January 1977. I was 15 and a total Kiss fan, but I remember clearly the energy and quality of Heep's set. Kerslake was a huge part of that. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Tribute profile on Kerslake's pre-Uriah Heep years in The Gods, Head Machine, and Toe Fat.

Lee Kerslake's drumming brought a whole new energy to the band on Demons and Wizards.
    The combination of his talent with the talents of Gary Thain, John Wetton, Trevor Bolder and Bob Daisley gave UH great rythm sections.
    RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My very first rock concert was Uriah Heep opening for Kiss in January 1977. I was 15 and a total Kiss fan, but I remember clearly the energy and quality of Heep's set. Kerslake was a huge part of that. RIP
    My very first rock concert (at the ripe old age of 15)was Uriah Heep,with Elf and Bloodrock also on the bill circa December 1971 RIP Lee