Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson - Song of Seven Remaster

It's interesting to me how quickly that line-up crashed and burned. Tormato was not their best album but it sold well enough. Anyway, the tour which followed was a huge success, setting them up well for the next decade. But the Paris stuff merely followed on from the weaker aspects of Tormato IMHO.

Having listened to Song Of Seven again, it's not unpleasant (the second half being much better than the first, I think). However, I do prefer the more contemporary, harder-edged sound of Drama.

I always really liked SO7, can't wait for this release

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Although the credits on Drama are kind of interesting, given 'Run Through The Light' and 'Does It Really Happen' originate from when Anderson/Wakeman were still there.
    They do date to when Anderson/Wakeman were still there. I don't see much to suggest Anderson or Wakeman had any input of note to those pieces, so why would they be credited? Could Anderson have come up with the phrase "through the light"? Well, it's actually a pretty Squire-an phrase (compare "Onward"). "Does It Really Happen?" is a Squire riff while Anderson/Wakeman are there, and that's about all that carries over to the Drama version.

The problem with the Drama credits is that they just credit everything to everyone whereas, for example, White had nothing to do with "White Car".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The problem with the Drama credits is that they just credit everything to everyone whereas, for example, White had nothing to do with "White Car".
    But his name is in the title!

I saw a man in Alan White's car.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    But his name is in the title!
    LOL.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Though Olias Of Sunhillow is Jon's great epic, in my opinion, I also bought Song Of Seven and Animation back when they were released and still love parts of those 2 albums. I loved Jon's lyrics even when they didn't seem to make sense. And I especially loved and still love the title track Song Of Seven. Brilliant tune.

Around 1980 to 1981 I was young and working for a large aeropspace company. I was soaring on that particular high that Yes and Jon's music can fill you with when I found myself inside a men's restroom stall one day. For some reason I decided that the wall of that stall would be a perfect place to write the lyrics to Song Of Seven. I scribbled it on there and weirdly felt proud about it. Over the following weeks a discussion appeared on that same stall wall written by other users. Some describing it as crazy rantings and some extolling its virtues as words of inspiration and enlightenment.
    I don't know..... it has always stayed with me how amazing it was that Jon's words could spark that sort of communication on the other side of the world from England in the cold light of a high tech manufacturing company restroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Though Olias Of Sunhillow is Jon's great epic, in my opinion, I also bought Song Of Seven and Animation back when they were released and still love parts of those 2 albums. I loved Jon's lyrics even when they didn't seem to make sense. And I especially loved and still love the title track Song Of Seven. Brilliant tune.

Around 1980 to 1981 I was young and working for a large aeropspace company. I was soaring on that particular high that Yes and Jon's music can fill you with when I found myself inside a men's restroom stall one day. For some reason I decided that the wall of that stall would be a perfect place to write the lyrics to Song Of Seven. I scribbled it on there and weirdly felt proud about it. Over the following weeks a discussion appeared on that same stall wall written by other users. Some describing it as crazy rantings and some extolling its virtues as words of inspiration and enlightenment.
    I don't know..... it has always stayed with me how amazing it was that Jon's words could spark that sort of communication on the other side of the world from England in the cold light of a high tech manufacturing company restroom.

I was soaring on that particular high that Yes and Jon's music can fill you with when I found myself inside a men's restroom stall one day. For some reason I decided that the wall of that stall would be a perfect place to write the lyrics to Song Of Seven. I scribbled it on there and weirdly felt proud about it. Over the following weeks a discussion appeared on that same stall wall written by other users. Some describing it as crazy rantings and some extolling its virtues as words of inspiration and enlightenment.
    Tangent: the subject of lyrics on a toilet wall always reminds me of the time I saw Captain Beefheart quoted on a men's room wall at the college library:

"I was shanghaied
    By a high hat beaver mustache man
    N his pirate friend
    I woke up in vomit n beer
    In a banana bin..."

Below this was inscribed "Bah. This stuff sucks."

You don't often see the word "bah" included in graffiti.
    Crappy old album that you wouldn't want to listen to anyway THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    "Ide o zmes prog rocku, cosmic music, electronic music a classical music. Prekvapivá a dosť divoká hudobná jazda je vo výslednom efekte znamenitá." - Martin Slávik

Around 1980 to 1981 I was young and working for a large aeropspace company. I was soaring on that particular high that Yes and Jon's music can fill you with when I found myself inside a men's restroom stall one day. For some reason I decided that the wall of that stall would be a perfect place to write the lyrics to Song Of Seven. I scribbled it on there and weirdly felt proud about it.
    Did you draw a big Qoquaq next to it?

Around 1980 to 1981 I was young and working for a large aeropspace company. I was soaring on that particular high that Yes and Jon's music can fill you with when I found myself inside a men's restroom stall one day. For some reason I decided that the wall of that stall would be a perfect place to write the lyrics to Song Of Seven. I scribbled it on there and weirdly felt proud about it.
    Beats the usual FREE DIPLOMAS with an arrow pointing down to the TP dispenser featured in the college restrooms I would see at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Anderson said that he's talked to Wilson and he wants Wilson to do a 5.1 remix of Olias. He didn't say whether Wilson agreed! So it's somewhere between fantasy and fact.

Henry
    interesting article, wilson recommending concept albums.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...ht-have-missed

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    interesting article, wilson recommending concept albums.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...ht-have-missed
    Published in 2017. Written in 2008.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 09-25-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Published in 2017. Written in 2008.
    well yeah, the dates are right there in the header. I dont know about you, but if you asked me for a list of my all time favorite anything, that list doesn't change that often. So with Wilson having included Olias in his article, it doesn't seem such a stretch.
    Last edited by rojon; 09-27-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    well yeah, the dates are right there in the header. I dont know about you, but if you asked me for a list of my all time favorite anything, that list doesn't change that often. So with Wilson having included Olias in his article, it doesn't seem such a stretch.
    Wilson praised Olias just recently in his Album Years podcast so yes it is still one of his favourites.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Anderson talks about the making of Song of Seven:

Just thought I'd mention Jon Anderson and Song of Seven is also the cover story in the new issue of Prog mag: https://www.loudersound.com/news/jon...og-on-sale-now . I read that digitally via Readly https://readly.com/ (the Spotify as regards magazine publications) which I at least value, particularly with it adding newspapers -including the Guardian - recently.

My copy of the cd is on it's way to me. I wasn't going to order it but despite a couple of dodgy tracks it is one of my most loved albums from the Yes alumni canon so I'll report back on how it sounds compared to my quite old Atlantic version of the cd.

Song of Seven has been my favourite post Yes release of Anderson's, along with the Private Collection album with Vangelis. I've also quite liked the Change We Must album in finding it inspirational. I've liked his spiritual vibe when he hasn't been self-absorbed and New Age which I've thought he has had a tendency towards in recent decades.

Anyway, just listened to the re-released version via Spotify in thoroughly enjoying it. Being, I reckon, in the right relaxed frame of mind to appreciate it. Training to be a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner within the NHS at the moment and I shadowed a group session (online) earlier where individual types of relaxation were discussed. Music has definitely aided me as regards relaxation: Song of Seven being a good example. I've also liked that it's had a bit of spunk and also some rock 'n' roll influences with the likes of "For You for Me" and "Heart of the Matter" respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    My copy of the cd is on it's way to me. I wasn't going to order it but despite a couple of dodgy tracks it is one of my most loved albums from the Yes alumni canon so I'll report back on how it sounds compared to my quite old Atlantic version of the cd.
    Yeah I am all in on this one as well. Looking forward.

Both Song of Seven and Animation start strong and then taper off as the albums progress.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Both Song of Seven and Animation start strong and then taper off as the albums progress.
    Hmmm... I can see that argument being made for Animation, but most reviews I've seen of Song of Seven have the opposite opinion.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hmmm... I can see that argument being made for Animation, but most reviews I've seen of Song of Seven have the opposite opinion.
    It could just be my attention to them. After the first few songs on Song of Seven, I just get more bored with the sound.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

For me Song Of Seven starts strong, wobbles a bit in the middle then proceeds to the triumphant title track, I cannot agree it tapers off, have you listened to it more than once?

Totally agree with Animation. Side One is wonderful and 10 x better than Side Two. Song of Seven however is the exact opposite. Starts off quite weak, then the last 15+ minutes are amazing.