Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite flute

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, there apparently is a genre called "progressive country", though what's supposed to be "progressive" about it, I'm not sure. Sounds like the same old crap they play "country" radio. Whatever it is, they apparently don't mean "progressive" the same way as we do when we talk about progressive rock.
    I can see "progressive bluegrass" as a genre. Stuff like Chris Thile and Punch Brothers play, and also folks like Bela Fleck, Rickey Skaggs, etc. But players that do "bluegrass" don't necessarily refer to themselves as "country", if you know what I mean.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, there apparently is a genre called "progressive country", though what's supposed to be "progressive" about it, I'm not sure. Sounds like the same old crap they play "country" radio. Whatever it is, they apparently don't mean "progressive" the same way as we do when we talk about progressive rock.
    I guess they mean bluegrass (though that clearly "folk" to my ears) and some other sorts of "Appalachian folk" musics and the virtuosity that can come out of them.
    Some tracks in the early Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker bands have epic or prog facets.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The most progressive country I can think of is 16 horsepower but they don’t have any flute
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And now for something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    NO-one mentioning Supersister (Sacha van Geest)?
    Yes, great flautist. I like his work on Present for Nancy.

There really is a flute solo in this Helloween tune. Raise The Noise, Dudes.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I can't believe Jim Lockhart of Horslips hasn't been mentioned.
    [smacks self on the forehead in shame]
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

One favorite who hasn't been mentioned yet is James Spaulding. He hasn't done much as a leader, but he's played flute (and alto sax) on a ton of fantastic records by Pharoah Sanders, Bobby Hutcherson, Sam Rivers, and others.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ooh! Great thread!! Thank you!

I was playing my large, Native American bass flute (F#) for my mother in law as she faces the last few days of her life. It was...moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    my large, Native American bass flute (F#)
    Post a picture!

Let’s see...did this work?

(To give you a sense of scale, The smaller flute is about 14” long)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!

I was just listening to Kenso II for, like, the ten-thousandth time, and I was taken by just how delightful Shiro Yajima’s flute playing on the album is. Coupled with Yoshi’s divine guitar and ALL ANALOG synths, it is prog heaven. Is it any wonder this is my favorite Kenso album, and among my favorite Japanese albums of all time:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Let’s see...did this work?

(To give you a sense of scale, The smaller flute is about 14” long)
    I suppose it is a hard job to get those low notes.

as usual with these kind of threads, they turn from state "your fave flute moments" to list "any flute moments you can remember"

Sooooo, I'll go for :

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

On this day in 1791, The opera The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart premiered in Vienna.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    One favorite who hasn't been mentioned yet is James Spaulding. He hasn't done much as a leader, but he's played flute (and alto sax) on a ton of fantastic records by Pharoah Sanders, Bobby Hutcherson, Sam Rivers, and others.
    Unsung hero of many a classic 1960s Blue Note session! As you say, ever the sideman. Great pick.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Really, these:

Bandcamp Profile

A more contemporary selection:

Bandcamp Profile

re: progressive country

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I guess they mean bluegrass (though that clearly "folk" to my ears) and some other sorts of "Appalachian folk" musics and the virtuosity that can come out of them.
    Some tracks in the early Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker bands have epic or prog facets.
    No, it's not bluegrass, it has nothing to do with "virtuoso" music of any kind. I guess it's actually related to so called "outlaw country", like Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. I guess. (shrug)

I remember first seeing the phrase "progressive country", oh I don't know how many years ago, probably something like 15 years ago, when our cable TV service had a "radio" channel devoted to the genre (they had a bunch of channels that just played music, no videos, they rotated every so often, but you'd have several rock stations, a jazz station or two, a new age/ambient station, a classical station, etc). Anyway, at one point they had a progressive country station, and like I said, to me it just sounded the same old stuff you heard "today's country" radio. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I forget the description, but I remember there being a specific note that the word "progressive" wasn't being used in the same way it is in "progressive rock" or whatever.

Reading the Wiki page now, that note seems to have been removed, but it seems we're talking about singer/songwriter oriented stuff, people like Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, so I guess it's related to the so called "outlaw" thing, which was aimed at breaking away from "the way they do things in Nashville".