Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 81 of 81

Thread: Favorite flute

  1. #76
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: progressive country
    No, it's not bluegrass, it has nothing to do with "virtuoso" music of any kind. I guess it's actually related to so called "outlaw country", like Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. I guess. (shrug)

    I remember first seeing the phrase "progressive country", oh I don't know how many years ago, probably something like 15 years ago, when our cable TV service had a "radio" channel devoted to the genre (they had a bunch of channels that just played music, no videos, they rotated every so often, but you'd have several rock stations, a jazz station or two, a new age/ambient station, a classical station, etc). Anyway, at one point they had a progressive country station, and like I said, to me it just sounded the same old stuff you heard "today's country" radio. So I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I forget the description, but I remember there being a specific note that the word "progressive" wasn't being used in the same way it is in "progressive rock" or whatever.

    Reading the Wiki page now, that note seems to have been removed, but it seems we're talking about singer/songwriter oriented stuff, people like Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, so I guess it's related to the so called "outlaw" thing, which was aimed at breaking away from "the way they do things in Nashville".
    Wheeewww... I thought they claimed progressive country as intelligent country (as that was not an oxymoron enough) or left winged-lyrics country (in Europe, leftwing tends to think of itself as progressist and rightwing-conservatism as regressive).

    Ok, thx for the explanation.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  2. #77
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Let’s see...did this work?

    (To give you a sense of scale, The smaller flute is about 14” long)
    Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Playing one of those low-pitched Native American-style flutes is a beautiful way to ease the transition.

    BTW, Native American-style flute is my passion, in case you didn't know. I have around 60 of them and a YouTube channel where I post vids of myself playing, etc. Glad to see that you have one of those low F#m flutes, too. Mine is the same design but in laminated birch. High Spirits moved to a more ergonomic design for that particular flute some years ago, so it's now made of Spanish cedar with the mouth hole positioned so that you hold the flute straight up and down parallel to your body.

  3. #78
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Playing one of those low-pitched Native American-style flutes is a beautiful way to ease the transition.

    BTW, Native American-style flute is my passion, in case you didn't know. I have around 60 of them and a YouTube channel where I post vids of myself playing, etc. Glad to see that you have one of those low F#m flutes, too. Mine is the same design but in laminated birch. High Spirits moved to a more ergonomic design for that particular flute some years ago, so it's now made of Spanish cedar with the mouth hole positioned so that you hold the flute straight up and down parallel to your body.
    Thank you, Bruce. It really did feel right to play. I sure hope it helped her.

    My big F# does play in a vertical position; it has the small extension that comes out at a right angle to the flute so that it is held just the way you describe.

    SIXTY flutes? I love it! I think I have about 25 or 30. They are so fun to pull out. I always take a small one bicycling and camping and hiking.

  4. #79
    Member Koreabruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chuncheon, South Korea
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thank you, Bruce. It really did feel right to play. I sure hope it helped her.

    My big F# does play in a vertical position; it has the small extension that comes out at a right angle to the flute so that it is held just the way you describe.

    SIXTY flutes? I love it! I think I have about 25 or 30. They are so fun to pull out. I always take a small one bicycling and camping and hiking.
    Ah, another NAF fan! That's great to know. I used to seek out tunnels and make videos of myself playing there. Visually not too exciting, granted, but the flutes sound GREAT in those spaces.

    So yours is a side-blown flute, then. I have two flutes with that same construction: a low Am by Kuzin Bruce and a Laughing Crow Dm. I can also play my low F#m while holding it vertically, come to think of it. That thing is like a bazooka, though!

  5. #80
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Ah, another NAF fan! That's great to know. I used to seek out tunnels and make videos of myself playing there. Visually not too exciting, granted, but the flutes sound GREAT in those spaces.

    So yours is a side-blown flute, then. I have two flutes with that same construction: a low Am by Kuzin Bruce and a Laughing Crow Dm. I can also play my low F#m while holding it vertically, come to think of it. That thing is like a bazooka, though!
    Yup...just like the old Do Wop singers used to find great acoustic places, NAF players look for great-sounding spots. I liked the paint booth at my old (pre-COVID) place of employment. Great echo and full sound in there...

  6. #81
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    BTW, Native American-style flute is my passion, in case you didn't know. I have around 60 of them and a YouTube channel where I post vids of myself playing, etc.
    Interesting videos Bruce, thanks for sharing. I'll go thru them over time as time allows.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •