Thread: Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element 20th anniversary remix

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element 20th anniversary remix

Pain of Salvation have just announced pre-orders for a 20th anniversary remix of The Perfect Element to be released in November.
    http://painofsalvation.com/store/

Now I am usually not a fan of the current remixing trend, especially of albums released in a time when technology was not a limiting factor, on the basis of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I didn't really see the need for a remix of Remedy Lane a few years back. But if there's an album that suffered from a weak, cluttered mix, it's The Perfect Element. There's just so much going on that is buried in the original mix. This remix is long overdue and bound to be a massive improvement.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 09-18-2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: E

Not much interest it seems...

I do love that album, I just need to consider finances before buying every remaster that seems to come out.

I may just plan to get it around the Holidays.

This album has become one of my favorites over time, but I tread carefully when it comes to remixes, because I get used to hearing an album a certain way. I even got used to "Vapor Trails"...

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    This album has become one of my favorites over time, but I tread carefully when it comes to remixes, because I get used to hearing an album a certain way. I even got used to "Vapor Trails"...
    I hear you. I can't get used to the remixes of the classics from the 1970s. I recently revisited Radiation by Marillion and I also prefer the original mix despite its flaws.
    Having said that, I've always been bothered by the mix of The Perfect Element. You can hear they recorded a lot of stuff that is just buried in the mix. I have high hopes for this remix.

I've pre-ordered from blackmerch. Glad they are including the bonus track. Not as big a fan of the changed cover art, the original is classic I think. Also wish the live bonus cuts would have been from the TPE tour at the time with that lineup, but perhaps they didn't have good enough quality sound to use those.

This should be very good I think - I love the album and very interested to hear this remix/remaster version

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I've pre-ordered from blackmerch. Glad they are including the bonus track. Not as big a fan of the changed cover art, the original is classic I think. Also wish the live bonus cuts would have been from the TPE tour at the time with that lineup, but perhaps they didn't have good enough quality sound to use those.
    I still have the ProgDay multi-tracks. I think there is some channel bleed on those so I'm not sure if somebody with enough skill could make something usable with them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One of the remixed songs is on Spotify now. Sounds pretty good.

Released yesterday.
    Still waiting for my physical copy but judging by the digital version, this remix is a winner. Finally the layers of music that were fighting for space in the original mix can be heard properly, especially the strings.

I've never heard this album.

My son was always into this band but I was turned off by what I heard as very cold and harsh mixes (on the earlier albums). This remix is pretty awesome though. Haven't listened to the live version yet.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've never heard this album.
    It's one of the only Prog-Metal albums I own. Well, the original version. It's very good, imo.